Skittle's Random WIP Log

S.k.i.t.t.l.e

Alright, first up is my DA test mini, just basecoated and a bit of shading done (needs neatening up now that I can have a good close look at it...) Wanted to test out the glowing eyes effect on this guy. My Tac Squad won't all have eyes like this, maybe just the Company Master. C & C more than welcome. :wallbash:

gallery_63768_7849_996935.jpg

Its actually green... biggrin.gif But its just a couple thin coats of thinned GW Caliban Green over a black undercoat. A quick wash of Vallejo Black Wash and then the armour tidied up with the Caliban again. Still needs a bit more tidying up though....

damn you partial colourblindness! xD

oh well, now that you say i can see that it is infact an odd shade of green... i could had sworn it was dark grey^^' oh well, it does look nice though, i really like the eye-glow

Thanks for the comments on the eyes, there's a guy on Youtube 'Bluewargaming' or something that did a 'How to Paint Glowing Eyes' tut, and thats the technique/colour scheme I used. They came out alright, but I'm hoping that the next lot will be even better. Might do my Deathwing with all glowing eyes. (Green I think though, right? Or red?)

Holy :) ! How amazing are airbrushes!!!?? Got one as an early birthday present (Thanks Mom!) a while back but couldn't use it here until today when I finally found somewhere selling a step up power converter... I decided to give it a go by basecoating a model I wasn't afraid to mess up (unfortunately not one I can post here, but will be on my FB page tomorrow) and while it didn't come out 100% perfect, the areas that were good were amazingly smooth! If you're considering getting an airbrush, stop considering. Go and get one. Now. I can't wait to get practising some more! My squads will be primed and basecoated in no time at all with it!

<Rant/Gush Over>

:ph34r:

Well I'm back again, I started to highlight my test model today, was originally going for an Awesome Paint Job style of highlighting, but I had chosen a colour too close to Caliban Green, and I'd made the lines a little too thick because I'd thinned my paint a little too much....BUT... I figured I'd try Girl Painting's style of highlighting (again, first time, epic failure...) and it worked out ok I think! I have to say that the GP style looks pretty nice and its pretty easy to do, also it is fairly forgiving since you are using (well, I used) paints that are thinned to almost washes. You want a really transparent paint, but you still need to be able to move it around like paint, so you can control where you are placing it. Learned a few things while doing this..

Don't do glowing eyes until after highlighting, its a pain working around the effect and trying not to mess it up.

Don't fret just because the first thing you tried failed! You never know, some good might come from it!

Try techniques more than once, practise them. (Fairly obvious, but I am terrible for trying once and giving up in things like this)

:P

Well, enough prattle, here's a couple of shots:

gallery_63768_7849_219956.jpg

gallery_63768_7849_1590702.jpg

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome as ever. :P

You gotta believe me bud, this method is probably easier than the old 'eavy metal style of extreme highlighting. (Hitting all the edges with a uniform line and some brighter spot highlights) As I mentioned earlier the model was primed black, basecoated with Caliban Green, washed with black then tidied up with Caliban again. The first highlight is 2 parts of Ralpartha Europes Miniature Paint (#10) Dark Green mixed with Caliban, thinned right down so its almost a wash, but still manageable like a paint. The first highlight is just laid on wherever you think light would hit from a zenithal sort of light source. Using the left (marines left, not left on photo) shoulder pad as an example, the paint mix is applied over 2/3 maybe 3/4 of the whole pad, make sure that the lower edge of the highlight is a little ragged, helps smooth the transition. The next higlight was 3:1 DG:CG, again applied to about 3/4 of the previous highlight. Then 4:1. My final highlight was pure Dark Green, but if I use this technique again, I may use a 5:1 mix before the final highlight as I think the jump between 4:1 and pure DG is a little large. This technique is VERY forgiving because of the fact you are using such thin paints. It is a littl time consuming on a single model, but I believe using this on a squad of guys would actually be very quick, as your first marine would be dry ready for the next highlight. Try it out you'll be surprised I think.

This is Girl Paintings vid which shows the technique:

Oh and I'm afraid I have no idea what the equivalent of my Dark Green would be, but its the bightest green highlight (like on the vent on top of his head), but if you watch the video, she shows which GW colours she uses.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Alright, finished my Company Master :

http://www.facebook.com/JeSuisUnGeek13?ref=hl#!/media/set/?set=a.162514307226721.51679.157903741021111&type=3

and also if any of you are CMON members, please rate it:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/322597?browseid=3994960

He still needs varnishing and some static grass, but the painting is done. Thanks for looking, C & C more than welcome as always!

• 7 months later...

Excellent work on the Sanguinor, mate smile.png Really looking forward to seeing him finished, because he looks great at this stage!

Thanks a lot. He's my first attempt at NMM, and he's taking me FOREVER... But I'm really enjoying the learning experience. (Only the jump pack and base to do now. :D)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived