Mortis for Crowd Control

MadMek83

Hello everyone!

I was wondering what is the Dark Angels method for Crowd Control or against Schawrms like IG and Nids? I am prepping myself for games held in two weeks and there'll be Necrons, IG and Tyranids. I am more worried of tyranid scharwms and endless number of IG. While Mortis is dangerous choice especially against IG's massed autocannon formations... I do like idea of Mortis fire support. TL-las Mortis I have now is not best choice for crowd control so I am really thinking Missile Mortis or TL-HeavyBolter mortis. I know Heavy Bolters generally suck but they look cool...

I'll put forgeworld order this week in, so I hope to have some insight what might be best Moprtis configuration to deal mass number of IG guards men, gaunt and gene stealer schawrms?

I prefer the whirlwind and or vindicator. The whirlwind is super cheap and can just hide behind cover or a building pounding away, and the vindicator is a scary sight to horde/tougher units. If you're running a vindicator be sure to have a lot of choices for your opponent to shoot at. I like to run a crusader with Belial's unit inside a vindicator and a bunch of foot slogging terminators. Target saturation is key, so you don't loose your vindicator turn one.

I prefer the whirlwind and or vindicator. The whirlwind is super cheap and can just hide behind cover or a building pounding away, and the vindicator is a scary sight to horde/tougher units. If you're running a vindicator be sure to have a lot of choices for your opponent to shoot at. I like to run a crusader with Belial's unit inside a vindicator and a bunch of foot slogging terminators. Target saturation is key, so you don't loose your vindicator turn one.

Good point for the WW, I might put Forge upgrade kit for it or somehting. I just like my DA's being Fluffy and have some good DA goodies like Mortis. WW I will difnately bring sometimes when I got money. I got mortis body already with lascannons and such. All I need to do is to buy mortis missile launcher to get my super cheap mortis aswell.

in MY Da there is 20 tactical marines, plasma heavy configuration, 1 Vanilla Landraider, 2x5 shootynators, Belial, 1x5 micxed CC Termies and soon when I get my hammernators I get 1x5 hammernators and I conivert from AoBR termies 1x5 twin LC termies.. But as paint wise I got 10 terminators painted, 5 primed, Landraider and Belial painted 10 tacticals painted and Mortis painted.

Just to avoid a little confusion- the Codex: Dark Angels does NOT have a Mortis Pattern Dreadnaught in it... or the options to place a second ranged weapon beyond a missile launcher on a Dreadnaught.

The only Mortis Pattern Dreadnaught available to the Dark Angels is in the Imperial Armor source books.

For crowd control, I've found a Predator tank with Heavy Bolter sponsons works pretty well, as does a Land Raider Crusader.

This may sound like a silly suggestion, but... Don't underestimate the power of a Rhino tank-shocking hordes off the game. I've seen a Rhino tank shock about 400 points' worth of Crisis Suits and Broadsides recently, as well as a blob of 'nids.

The idea of speeding Rhino crashing into Nids made me laugh, that I have to try... or I could try tank shock things with my Landraider too. Thank you, you saved my day ^^

Hello everyone!

I was wondering what is the Dark Angels method for Crowd Control or against Schawrms like IG and Nids? I am prepping myself for games held in two weeks and there'll be Necrons, IG and Tyranids. I am more worried of tyranid scharwms and endless number of IG. While Mortis is dangerous choice especially against IG's massed autocannon formations... I do like idea of Mortis fire support. TL-las Mortis I have now is not best choice for crowd control so I am really thinking Missile Mortis or TL-HeavyBolter mortis. I know Heavy Bolters generally suck but they look cool...

I'll put forgeworld order this week in, so I hope to have some insight what might be best Moprtis configuration to deal mass number of IG guards men, gaunt and gene stealer schawrms?

Probably the Contemptor-Mortis with twin Kheres-Pattern Assault Cannons.

Hello everyone!

If your group is ok with Forgeworld units, I recommend a Mortis-Contemptor. 12 S6 Rending assault cannon shots at BS5 is a lot of damage, and inflicts ID on T3 models. Rending can help with the heavier-armored stuff as well, and Walker with AV13 means that krak grenades are useless.

Not to mention, outside of game mechanics entirely, I would strongly recommend the model simply for the fact that it is an incredibly pose-able and configure-able model and you can really get some great looks out of it when it's completed.

Yeah we use Forge world things aslong they are not too over powered. Mortis is perfectly fine and such with them. I have really wanted Mortis-Contemptor but perhapos next year. I currently want to use my Dread Body I have with DA iconography.

This may sound like a silly suggestion, but... Don't underestimate the power of a Rhino tank-shocking hordes off the game. I've seen a Rhino tank shock about 400 points' worth of Crisis Suits and Broadsides recently, as well as a blob of 'nids.

The idea of speeding Rhino crashing into Nids made me laugh, that I have to try... or I could try tank shock things with my Landraider too. Thank you, you saved my day ^^

This has been either my greatest service to the Chapter, or the greatest blunder I have urged one to commit. :P

But seriously, review the tank shock rules so you don't stand there looking confused when your vehicles just sail past the blobs because of a technicality.

in the dex i'd say 2-3 of either whilwinds/dakka predators/vindicators are good for crowd control. my preferences are in that order.

after that, landspeeder typhoons pack a good punch with 2 ml and 3 hb shots a turn.

the humble tactical squad rapid firing plus having flamer/combiflamer and a HB arn't bad. round of shooting plus the potential of overwatch shots against a charging unit add up

for FW. mortis dread/contemptors are great and bring air suppot. landraider prometheus is good too, 4 twin linked heavy bolters, transport capacity plus (if i remember right) similr rules ot the damacles rhino for helping with reinforcements

I play against Tyranids a lot, probably averaging slightly above one game per week against Nids since July. I've used every single option in the DA book against them in multiple variations. In my opinion, the humble missile launcher in any of it's forms (Regular, Typhoon, Cyclone) is the single best munition to employ. Small bugs, big bugs, it can handle it all.

I prefer a combination of typhoons and/hb preds. The templates keep people from bunching up while the preds deny most GEQ armor saves. It presents a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Either they bunch up in cover, or they spread out spilling out of cover and allowing the preds to focus fire on them. It really forces your opponent to play smartly on how they utilize terrain. I recently played a 'nid player and I had a typhoon score over 40 wounds. Hopefully that player learned his lesson about spreading out a bit.

Now see I was under the impression that forgeworld rules are taking a more involved role in 6th edition, and as such, anything stamped warhammer 40,000 and gw approved meant it might as well be a codex entry, and you didn't need permission for them

And more OT... I love the dual TLAC on mine. Give it venerable, so now I have 4 S7 AP4 shots with decent range that needs 2's to hit and gets to re-roll it. But I mainly play other PA lists, with one eldar, one necron player breaking it up. We had a tau guy but he went for chaos and noise marines.

I'm really surprised that no one has brought up the humble flame thrower... Either mounted on a landspeeder, as the heavy weapon in a terminator group, or in a just plain tactical squad with a pod: hordes fear flamethrowers.

+1 to both/either the dakka pred or the Whirlwind. They can shred horde infantry, all at long range too.

On the subject of flamers versus hordes, consider the tactic of tank shocking the horde with a sacrificial rhino. If the horde doesn't run then your opponent is now tempted to assault the rhino with their horde. This then results in the horde being conveniently packed in nice and tight for the next squad to come along with its flamer.

If you want some killer anti-horde stuff, you can't beat three Whirlwinds. 6E pre-measuring, ammo choice every shot, barrage casualty removal trickery, indirect fire capability, no vehicle add-ons required, ergo dirt cheap killy death? Yes please. B) Many people decry Whirlwinds as being crap...until somebody fields three of them and blasts somebody to bloody bits. Then those same stupid people who field three Whirlwinds are all of a sudden cheesey bastards and the lowest of the low. Gotta love that. :huh: A battery of Whirlwinds will murder chum hordes. Now, team three Whirlwinds up with three Ravenwing Land Speeders with typhoon launchers and heavy bolters (for a total of 3 large blasts, 6 small blasts, and 9 heavy bolter shots per turn :blush:), and you will really be putting out some anti horde killy death for less than 500 points.

I'm really surprised that no one has brought up the humble flame thrower... Either mounted on a landspeeder, as the heavy weapon in a terminator group, or in a just plain tactical squad with a pod: hordes fear flamethrowers.

Emphasis mine. You do realize that Land Speeders are WS 1 (e.g. hit on 3's by almost anything in the game in close combat), jink saves do not apply versus close combat attacks, and that, if the enemy hordes are not utterly wiped out, a Land Speeder will very much be violated in unimaginable ways on the enemy's next turn? With Land Speeders being so vulnerable now, heavy flamers on Land Speeders are pretty much a non-option. For the same points cost, the Typhoon is the better choice.

Looks like I will be taking Missile Mortis, Pair of Whirlwings for general support in DA codex and I add BA libby with small detatchment of Flamer JP troops and Ball with Flamestorm / Flamersponsons (I am so glad I did magnetize my baal) And 2 units of DA tacticals (for somereason their plasma oritentated nature of my tacticals, my friend calls them plasmaticals). if I can afford points, Aegis Line and Hammernator unit with cyclone.

Just a quick idea. Use the forge world dreadnaught drop pods. Yes, the are expensive ($$$ and points) but they are assault vehicles, so your dreadnaught can assault the turn it lands. Also, speeders with heavy flamers are an excellent choice. The heavy flamer is devastating, but put it on the flank or rear of the unit. If assaulted, the enemy is moving in the direction you choose. Plus, when it explodes and take out another half dozen models, it more than makes up for its points.

Now see I was under the impression that forgeworld rules are taking a more involved role in 6th edition, and as such, anything stamped warhammer 40,000 and gw approved meant it might as well be a codex entry, and you didn't need permission for them

The jury is still out on that one. Too many people point out that if GW wanted people to use Forge World, then why isn't there a rule in the BBB about it? I think a lot of people treat Forgeworld as a game supplement to 40K. Some use it, some don't. There is a rule that covers this in the BBB. If you and your opponent both agree, then Forgeworld is OK. Then again, if you want to bring some entirely new unit you made up and your opponent agrees, have fun! That is, after all, one of the most important rules of 40K.

I'd always ask my opponent about using Forgeworld before the game. If he said no, even after I showed the rules and explained it to him/her, then that's that. No Forgeworld. Not worth getting my panties all in a twist about it.

Forgeworld has some negative connotations from previous editions. Because of that, and the very curious lack of comment from GW ("use what ever you want! Have fun!!!"), it's always wise to ask first. And always take the opportunity to show your opponent the rules and how the models can be used. For many, many players, the high cost of Forgeworld models and lack of ready access to the rules turns a lot of people off.

Back to the OP: Some very excellent ideas for taking out horde style armies. By far, I think my favorite is still the humble Missile Launcher. It's free in a 10 model Tactical Squad, has two firing modes (anti-armor, or anti-infantry), and throws down a template that should be able to take more than one model at a time. In a tournament, the ML is probably your best choice, as in one game you'll be facing a horde, in the next game, a full up mech style army.

Emphasis mine. You do realize that Land Speeders are WS 1 (e.g. hit on 3's by almost anything in the game in close combat), jink saves do not apply versus close combat attacks, and that, if the enemy hordes are not utterly wiped out, a Land Speeder will very much be violated in unimaginable ways on the enemy's next turn? With Land Speeders being so vulnerable now, heavy flamers on Land Speeders are pretty much a non-option. For the same points cost, the Typhoon is the better choice.

Well, against Str 4, then yes, you are correct. But against Guard who only have Str 3 in the entire army, the heavy flamer is a better option imho. Simply stated: the guard cannot assault the land speeder, and if they do, they're not playing like guardsmen anyway. They're plan, being guard, is to shoot the bujeebus out of anything in range, which with autocannons or missile launchers, means that typhoon is just as likely to die as a heavy flamer'd speeder.

That, and let's be perfectly honest, when did you ever plan to have more than one round of shooting out of a landspeeder anyway? Even in 5th edition, my speeders would very rarely last more than one turn, so I utilize them to get the most out of them in the one turn.

Wow, I just totally realized I made a huge mistake in a few of my games. The mortis dread doesn't have skyfire/interceptor, the contemptor pattern mortis does. :P thankfully my standard mortis only got to use interceptor once ( to save Sammy from a MM speeder that came in right behind his speeder) and never got around to using skyfire as the necron player with a flyer I've used it against always managed to entropic strike it to death with his scarabs before his flyer would come on to the field.

Wow, I just totally realized I made a huge mistake in a few of my games. The mortis dread doesn't have skyfire/interceptor, the contemptor pattern mortis does. :P thankfully my standard mortis only got to use interceptor once ( to save Sammy from a MM speeder that came in right behind his speeder) and never got around to using skyfire as the necron player with a flyer I've used it against always managed to entropic strike it to death with his scarabs before his flyer would come on to the field.

I'm pretty sure the Mortis gets Skyfire/Interceptor is it doesn't move. So unless you moved you should be good.

Though I could be totally wrong, I don't have the rules in front of me.

Archived