Mortis for Crowd Control

MadMek83

Wow, I just totally realized I made a huge mistake in a few of my games. The mortis dread doesn't have skyfire/interceptor, the contemptor pattern mortis does. :) thankfully my standard mortis only got to use interceptor once ( to save Sammy from a MM speeder that came in right behind his speeder) and never got around to using skyfire as the necron player with a flyer I've used it against always managed to entropic strike it to death with his scarabs before his flyer would come on to the field.

I'm pretty sure the Mortis gets Skyfire/Interceptor is it doesn't move. So unless you moved you should be good.

Though I could be totally wrong, I don't have the rules in front of me.

You're quite correct elphilo. So you can rest easy AngelVeto, as both Contemptor and Mortis have skyfire/interceptor when stationary :)

Ah ok. I guess I have an old version of the rules on my phone, as the standard mortis didn't mention skyfire interceptor in its special rules section. I do realize that I have cheated by giving it venerable tho... Guess I should go over my IA books again.

I'm really surprised that no one has brought up the humble flame thrower... Either mounted on a landspeeder, as the heavy weapon in a terminator group, or in a just plain tactical squad with a pod: hordes fear flamethrowers.

Emphasis mine. You do realize that Land Speeders are WS 1 (e.g. hit on 3's by almost anything in the game in close combat), jink saves do not apply versus close combat attacks, and that, if the enemy hordes are not utterly wiped out, a Land Speeder will very much be violated in unimaginable ways on the enemy's next turn? With Land Speeders being so vulnerable now, heavy flamers on Land Speeders are pretty much a non-option. For the same points cost, the Typhoon is the better choice.

Well, against Str 4, then yes, you are correct. But against Guard who only have Str 3 in the entire army, the heavy flamer is a better option imho. Simply stated: the guard cannot assault the land speeder, and if they do, they're not playing like guardsmen anyway. They're plan, being guard, is to shoot the bujeebus out of anything in range, which with autocannons or missile launchers, means that typhoon is just as likely to die as a heavy flamer'd speeder.

"Not playing like Guard."? Guard never assault? Ever? To be Guard, you must ignore an entire phase of the game (i.e. play stupid)? Guard can have krak grenades for 10 points per squad, and smart Guard players will often take krak grenades on at least a few squads, if not all of them. A slew of Str 6 krak grenades hitting the Land Speeder on 3's? Bu-bye Land Speeder. The idea that Guard suck in close combat against vehicles is a myth. Even Walkers need to watch out for Guard Veterans all with meltabombs (yikes!), and most can be destroyed/glanced to death with krak grenades too. Yes, I am thinking krak grenades are not only looking Guard-like, but also throwing a Guard unit into an assault on any vehicle, a' la the Saving Private Ryan sticky bombs versus Tiger tank incident, is rather very much a smart thing to do, and very much in character for Guard. B)

That, and let's be perfectly honest, when did you ever plan to have more than one round of shooting out of a landspeeder anyway? Even in 5th edition, my speeders would very rarely last more than one turn, so I utilize them to get the most out of them in the one turn.

I keep my Land Speeders around for as long as possible, considering that they have a range of 36" to 48" on the suggested weapons, which, if one maneuvers them not like an idiot, the enemy will be required to direct long range heavy weapons fire at them to take them out (which the Land Speeders will be getting a Jink save against too). Better that than to fly them up close to the enemy where they will pretty much be guaranteed to get snuffed. Besides, Guard heavy weapons only hit half of the time. Not so scary, considering one should be throwing other things at the Guard to keep their attention focused on what appear to be much more imminent threats. And these Land Speeders are not a Squadron (even though they could be deployed so as to operate similar to one), so some heavy weapon/other fire which cannot split fire, will potentially be wasted in taking out just one of them. S'all good, so stay at range, keep moving, and hammer those chum hordes! ;)

The jury is still out on that one. Too many people point out that if GW wanted people to use Forge World, then why isn't there a rule in the BBB about it? I think a lot of people treat Forgeworld as a game supplement to 40K. Some use it, some don't. There is a rule that covers this in the BBB. If you and your opponent both agree, then Forgeworld is OK. Then again, if you want to bring some entirely new unit you made up and your opponent agrees, have fun! That is, after all, one of the most important rules of 40K.

Dunno about later books, but IA2 mentions that everything in it should be considered legal to use. After all, an eldar player does't have to ask if he can field that avatar, even though each craftworld has only one that awoken in only the most dire circumstances.

I'm pretty sure the Mortis gets Skyfire/Interceptor is it doesn't move. So unless you moved you should be good.

This. And you're right.

Archived