Mithrilforge's Path to Redemption...

MithrilForge

here i will log my efforts to reclaim my honor(failed in last few painting challenges that i entered in over the years).

i will start with novembers vow which is a deathwing termie squad. and if all goes well i may try for september and octobers vows...time will tell :)

here is my first test mini for the squad,had never done bone before so was really apprehensive to jump straight in...he used to be an ultra so gave up the blue for a worthy cause ^_^ the base is a standard base with plasticard and plastic mesh put in where i cut the base away.... C&C welcome

med_gallery_9146_7882_450040.jpgmed_gallery_9146_7882_943159.jpg

med_gallery_9146_7882_211990.jpgmed_gallery_9146_7882_162046.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

well here's a WIP of the next termie,not much to look at really,i think im just posting him for proof that im actually working on something ;)

i think i may clean up the rest and try to paint em all at the same time to this lvl before going fwd with this guy(for consistencies sake) the base looks awful in this pic :lol: ...but thank goodness thats not how it ends up...

med_gallery_9146_7882_616065.jpg

cheers Mithril

ps stobz the red is -

base- mechrite ,devlan mud wash, go over with mechrite again

then 50/50 mechrite/blood red.

blood red highlight followed by solar macharius orange fine edge highlight

ok so here is the WIP pic of the squad, the only bit missing is the CML which im unable to locate at the moment :lol:

and the sarge's base needs some last minute work...i better get cracking on these guys if i want to meet the deadline and try to get other things done for previous months pearls :)

med_gallery_9146_7882_240306.jpg

cheers Mithril

p.s the hooded head is a pain to fit in those termie head area's but looks cool :P

thanks for the compliment furioso :) i like how the bone/white color has come out(it may be a fluke but i'll go with it)

I have a slight dilema,im working on the sarge's base while i paint him as well. i have got to the stage where im doing some ground lettering and am a little stuck as to what color to go with :) green?,red?,Black?, yellow is my first option but i also dont want to overdo the yellow,as you can see it has hazard stripes there too....any help would be appreciated ! it will look weathered and chipped when its finished.

med_gallery_9146_7882_111518.jpg

cheers Mithril

@ Devler -

The bone recipe is after a white basecoat i put down a coat of Calthan brown(not sure what it is now :huh: ) followed by a dense wash of devlan mud to really get into the recesses.

then its a few layers of watered down bleached bone(ushabti bone nowadays?) this is the tedious part as it looks bad for the first 2 layers :( then when its smooth and consistent i highlight with a 50/50 bleached bone/white mix.

after that is done, i carefully wash the recesses with Gryphonne sepia wash(new name...seraphim sepia?) and i also massively water down some of the same wash and blend that gently onto the bottom of shoulder pads,greaves,feet in an attempt to replicate the way the Eavy Metal painters get their deathwing to look.

hope this helps in some way.

as to the lettering,white does seem to look ok at the moment..

cheers Mithril

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update, haven't finished the termies from Novembers Vow ;) but still working on em as you can see....

i have decided to put hazard stripes on every piece i.e. the base or the model itself! its kind of a salute to spacehulk and also to Vansan's spacehulk deathwing army.

gallery_9146_7882_864263.jpg

and now i am also working on another vow task - a 5 man tac squad that started out as GotC but went 5th co when i discovered the cool banner colors :wub:

here's 4 of em with a little some bits left to do and the spacehulk style bases,the 5th guy is hiding somewhere 1/2 done?.

gallery_9146_7882_40667.jpg

med_gallery_9146_7882_274300.jpgmed_gallery_9146_7882_67826.jpg

And some pics of the Sgt with his rubber sword :lol: . i chose to put Co markings on the shoulder pad..just to be different and i love the quartered scheme so much i wanted it to stand out more...

hope to have the Wip pic's of my dread and Librarian Turmiel up tonight...then its on to some dedicated painting time!!!

(work,life and this "little fella" = not too much time spare :lol:

med_gallery_9146_583_93919.jpg

cheers, Mithril

here is the pre work pic of my 5th Co Libby and 5th Co dread with his spacehulk base.

speaking of which,im lovin the dragonforge tech bases,real good quality and cheap too :)

gallery_9146_7882_438695.jpg

@Stobz - yeah i think the pads are quite sharp :) as to the little fella,he's not a xenos,the blue suit means he's a future libby in training!.

cheers,mithril

• 2 weeks later...

Liking the company markings on the shoulder pad -- it works really well ;). Bases awesome sauce (yes, and where has VanSan gone?). Neophyte looking handsome too.

Cheers

I

thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated :D

im starting on the libby(way cool Model by the way,thanks GW)

my take is he will be in bone armor because he served with the DeathWing and also ...just to be different :P

here is work so far,his right arm is near done,i should get more done soon for you to really see it coming along.

My question to my fellow DA fraters is this...Should i do the robe and or the hood in Dark Angels Green? or Librarian Blue?

bear in mind that his right shoulder pad will be done in blue libby colors.

gallery_9146_7882_2397504.jpg

cheers Mithril

Cool work Mithril, I'd say green because green is not smurflike. I paint very little blue on my Libbies, shoulderpads at the most!!!

Nice looking holding device you have created there btw :P I personaly just hold the mini, that way I can feel it's pulse as I work ;)

:D

stobz

Heya Stobz :P

i was thinking green too and with your comment it kinda tips me even more into that direction.

your correct that a little blue goes a long way and i didn't really want a smurf hiding amongst the angels!

the blu-tack on the paint lid is good for no oil marks on the model as you paint.

Green it is... back to painting ...and reading ravenwing :D

cheers Mithril

This is awesome work there Mithril! Love ther termies and the hazard stripe bases - just excellent! I have huge amounts of envy for those that are so good (and consistent) with whites...

Now as regards your question and since you went for the (heretical :D ) bone power armour, I'd agree with Stobs, go for green robes... The green on white says "Dark Angles" from the get go, whereas blue robes could project mixed messages... Now the trick is to get the "Librarian Blue" somewhere in there but keep in mind that too much blue with too much green could create a clashing combo - not a big fan of that personally. So shoulder pads could be a good option - or maybe just the right shoulder pad that bears the Librarium symbol.

Just my 2c...

Nice work on the termies but the bases make them really pop - very impressed :yes:

With the Librarian I would personally go with green robes to and to show he is also part of the Librarium I would go for blue pauldrons, especially the one with the Librarium symbol (same as our Master of Recruits mentioned really).

Archived