Allies to beef up DA....?

Marshal Wilhelm

Well on the aethetics - the DA are already multi-coloured even in their pure form :P. Personally I think GK's silver/metallic plate looks pure awesome sauce with the DA... but BA's red might be a bit of a clash B) . So we pick our allies depending on their look :jaw: - hmmm not thought of it like that.

CL raises a good point re possible confusion. I think that in order not to bamboozle and opponent, allies should look like allies.

Putting all that aside, how many play against 'ebay armies' where various items are painted in various styles/standards and end up looking like some kind of colourful travelling circus :lol:. Imagine that scenario AND trying to remember which ones are allies :( .

CL raises a good point re possible confusion. I think that in order not to bamboozle and opponent, allies should look like allies.

Well that's where my point of only picking the same unit from one codex comes into play. Tactical Marines are all from C:SM while Terminators are all from C:DA. While I do appreciate Avon's point of view, I would have to disagree. This game is confusing enough all ready, why make it harder for your opponent or your self?

So yes on getting SM allies painted as DA but no mixing and matching units is my stand :D

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Personally I feel how I paint my army is my business, and none of my opponent's.

I'm not trying to say to paint it differently at all. I just think it adds to the confusion if you say these 2 tactical squads are C:DA and these 2 are C:SM.

Personally I'd let you play it however you want, as you said they are your models. However, I would not play it like that. I feel it would add too much confusion, and since I forget about rules all the time I don't need to purposefully mess myself up :devil:. That's why when I did play with SM allies I would only pick one unit type from each codex, it's also the reason I would encourage people to do the same :yes:

I can see the sense in that. Once I get a second deathwing squad painted up, in fact, it would only make sense to take my two tacticals from C:SM since they are cheaper and have Combat Tactics. But I feel as if an opponent that makes an issue out of how I paint my allies is not bringing the correct spirit of "just have fun" to the table. While I recognize that it may be confusing to keep track of "Which of these three tactical squads has Combat Tactics?", it's certainly not something I'm attempting to gain some sort of tactical advantage over my opponent. I'm not even sure how that would work.

But I feel as if an opponent that makes an issue out of how I paint my allies is not bringing the correct spirit of "just have fun" to the table.

Well, if an opponent is not having fun because he can't distinguish a DA tac from a SM tac, that's also an issue. ;) Just have fun spirit must go both ways.

While I recognize that it may be confusing to keep track of "Which of these three tactical squads has Combat Tactics?", it's certainly not something I'm attempting to gain some sort of tactical advantage over my opponent

No one is advocating that you would do it on purpose to have tactical advantage, but the issue here is that it may bring you a tactical advantage if the opponents is confused.

IMHO the spirit of Allies is having different armies allying with each other which implies two different paint schemes or at least heraldry. I have no saying in how you paint your marines but would it be such a big stretch to have your main army painted as a DA and your allies as a DA sucessor? Not only you would not confuse your opponent you would be following more the spirit of allies and you would be doing an absolute "fluffy" combo of DA + sucessor on the battlefield plus the cool oportunity to paint up a sucessor. Just some food for thought. :)

Well I still like my idea of painting allied SM as DA successor chapters, makes it a bit easier to keep track of. But I wouldn't mind allies painted as DA green joining up with other DA green marines who are from the DA codex, it wouldn't be hard for me to keep track of.

A successor chapter Allied force from C:SM does make sense, and I have thought about it. The reason I have decided not to go that route is because I think a Sternguard Veteran squad painted up as a Deathwatch Kill-Team is just 10 times cooler (in my opinion). And if I'm allying just to get that "Deathwatch Kill-Team", then it doesn't make fluff-sense to have a tactical squad or scout squad painted as Deathwatch as well. Painting the HQ as a Deathwatch marine is fine, and in fact I just finished painting up a Deathwatch Librarian to go with the Sternguard squad. But in this scenario, it just doesn't make sense to have that tactical squad look completely different from the rest of my army.

Except I plan on getting BS/WS 4 Dark Angels sniper scouts, and don't plan on modifying my allied detachment because of this. Soooo.... Still not budging. If it's confusing for my opponent, he is more than welcome to ask for a reminder, and I'll even remind him to ask for it.

(Plus, the diversion between Dark Angels and C:SM scouts is even larger than their respective Tactical Squads because of the base change in stat values. And painting the C:SM scouts as Dark Angels scouts might be considered even more disingenuous, as if trying to trick my opponent into forgetting which codex they came from and use the Dark Angel scout's higher stats)

Archived