Vanilla marines - Captain/Chapter Master loadout

AdamR

Now that the dust has settled somewhat on 6th ed, I think there are a couple of Captain/Chapter Master builds that stand out.

But first, let me say that I dont think that the 5th ed favourite of relic blade/storm shield really cuts it anymore. With the changes to power weapons, AP3 on your main guy just doesn't cut it. Yes in an ideal world they aren't going to fight hard units with 2+ saves because your shooting will take care of them. Up until it doesn't.

So...

Build 1

Lightning claw/Power fist and artificer armour. Add extra's (bike/jump pack/meltabombs etc) to taste.

Able to affect a wide variety of targets, good number of attacks, and massive resistance to power swords or worse. Able to instakill many extra characters with a single failed save. The obvious downside is that with only a 4++ he's also relatively vulnerable to ID - perhaps not from squad leaders (4 shred attacks at I5 should take care of that) - but anything with a 2+ save/multiple wounds and an ID weapon is probably best not challenged. Because of this I would always reccommend he be given a supporting unit with a squad leader capable of taking on these opponents - someone with a 3++ is best, and probably a power fist or thunder hammer of their own - assault/vanguard sergeants, assault terminators and command squad veterans are all good supporting units (in you are feeling points flush then posibly even a build 2 captain).

Build 2

Thunder hammer or power fist, storm shield, artificer armour, bike.

Able to go toe to toe with most of the toughest units on the table, and an excellent character assassin in challenges. Now that bikes give true T5, he no longer has to worry about being Insta killed by power fists - in fact if your opponent doesnt have any S10 weapons you can probably run him solo - charge into opponents HQ unit - challenge - dead or neutered hq. However, he is basically a faster, more maneuverable but slightly more vulnerable Lysander while doing this - Lysander tarpits better with his extra wound and doesnt have to worry about any ID. However the biker captain is more likely to be charging where he wants to charge, plus retains combat tactics, which I consider a bonus.

So any other Captain builds that are worthwhile?

Or are the builds above not worth taking either?

Oooo, great thread.

Well I can't dispute how effective the two builds you mentioned, though I do want to throw my hat into the ring to defend the humble Relic Blade and Storm Shield combination.

Whilst AP is very important in close combat now, the role you intend for the Captain/Master and unit he accompanies makes a genuine difference to whether a RB/SS combination is worthwhile.

A Storm Shield means a three woud character can protect his unit by soaking up wounds (particularly from plasma shots). Offensively, if you have alternative models to take up challenges and multiple AP2 models to back up your character then you have a reasonable chance you won't lose out using on not using a power axe.

Of course, you can also choose NOT to assault models with a 2+ save sometimes! :D

But here's a couple alternative builds to get the synapses firing and prompt discussion:

Captain/Master

- Power axe/power fist

- Storm shield

- Optional: artificer armour

Very similar to the Relic Blade, but of course doesn't strike quite as hard against most targets and strikes last. Sure, why not have a power fist, but you could save 10pts this way. I included both options anyway, depending on position. Could be an issue depending on what you intend your Captain to be assaulting (i.e. do you really want to be striking last against Orks?). He can also "tank" wounds for a squad thanks to his awesome invulnerable save.

Captain/Master

- Power axe

- Power sword

- Optional: Artificer armour

A great offensive build and one I've been thinking of converting. Only problem I have with this model is I cannot soak wounds on him like I can with a Storm Shield model, which can be crucial to staying alive and winning games, particularly against shooty opponents.

For a footslogging captain, I'd go with artificer & relic blade, so he can reliably murder those power fists in squads and deal with most infantry.

Otherwise, bike + power fist + maybe artificer armor. I'd definitely not go with thunder hammer as I don't think it really makes that much of a difference. The bike, fist, artificer, stormshield captain just seems massively expensive to me, though.

I've been working on a Captain on Bike for my homegrown Chapter (the IA will be up soon, I may do a question thread to determine the veracity of a couple of points). Thing is I've not played 40K in a very long time and I'm unsure what the limitations of the wargear are for my Captain. I am decking him out with as much Wargear as I can (I don't remember hearing about any real limit as to how much options you can put on a HQ apart from where it directly says you must pick one of a list, please correct me if I'm wrong) and as it stands, my current WIP loadout is as follows:

Captain:

Bike-Mounted (Mounted Assault rule, aww yeah)

Relic Blade (only piece left to do, planning a conversion for that one)

Storm Bolter

Melta-Bombs

Aux Grenade Launcher

Artificier Armour

Digital Weapons

Yes, I am fully aware this will cost a lot of points (213 by my count), but it does give the Captain a lot of benefits in return. The Relic Blade is a Power Weapon whose hits are resolved at Strength 6, which can cause a nice amount of stabby stabby, the downside being that the user cannot get an extra attack from another close-combat weapon> However, the observant will have noted that the Captain uses a Storm Bolter in his other hand, so the downside to a Relic Blade is irrelevant. Also the Relic Blade will be a sword-type, which means no Unwieldly

Mounting the Captain on a Bike gives him far greater mobility, as well as Hammer of Wrath, Jink and Mounted Assault, meaning I can take Bike Squads of five or more as Troops choices, which in turn means better toughness and mobility. Bikes also have (iirc) the Relentless special rule with 6th Ed, meaning they can move and still rapid fire, making the mobility of the army all the more valuable.

Digital Weapons allow my character to reroll one failed Wound per Assault Phase, which is helpful to make sure I get all I can out of my Relic Blade and makes it even more valuable as a weapon. The Storm Bolter is good for short-range firefights and will keep its full power throughout the game, unlike a combi-weapon. The Melta Bombs give my Captain some anti-vehicle ability, giving me a chance to take down that last Hull Point on a tank harassing my bikers.

The Aux Grenade Launcher is included to allow me more versatility in the Shooting Phase, allowing me to lob a Frag grenade into a squad before assaulting, or a Krak Grenade for tougher opponents.

The Artificier Armour is there simply because it makes my guy harder to kill, I doubt this one requires explanation.

So yes, this build is very expensive, but gives your HQ a lot of versatility and can cause some pain if played right.

Favorite/most used:

Captain-180

Bike, Artificier armour, Relic Blade

The classic Biker Captain loadout, mine is normally run with a Bike squad, or a Biker Command squad. Nice little bit of combat punch with the ability to make bikes scoring. In some cases I give him a Power Fist to be able to take on MCs and other tough characters.

And heres a fun one:

Captain-155

Dual Claws, Jump Pack

While Lightning Claws took a big hit with 6th edition, he can still carve his way through Power Armour and below with a suitable squad. Throw him in a Vanguard or Assault squad, and have fun. Good as a counter-charge unit also.

I've been working on a Captain on Bike for my homegrown Chapter (the IA will be up soon, I may do a question thread to determine the veracity of a couple of points). Thing is I've not played 40K in a very long time and I'm unsure what the limitations of the wargear are for my Captain. I am decking him out with as much Wargear as I can (I don't remember hearing about any real limit as to how much options you can put on a HQ apart from where it directly says you must pick one of a list, please correct me if I'm wrong) and as it stands, my current WIP loadout is as follows:

Captain:

Bike-Mounted (Mounted Assault rule, aww yeah)

Relic Blade (only piece left to do, planning a conversion for that one)

Storm Bolter

Melta-Bombs

Aux Grenade Launcher

Artificier Armour

Digital Weapons

Yes, I am fully aware this will cost a lot of points (213 by my count), but it does give the Captain a lot of benefits in return. The Relic Blade is a Power Weapon whose hits are resolved at Strength 6, which can cause a nice amount of stabby stabby, the downside being that the user cannot get an extra attack from another close-combat weapon> However, the observant will have noted that the Captain uses a Storm Bolter in his other hand, so the downside to a Relic Blade is irrelevant. Also the Relic Blade will be a sword-type, which means no Unwieldly

Mounting the Captain on a Bike gives him far greater mobility, as well as Hammer of Wrath, Jink and Mounted Assault, meaning I can take Bike Squads of five or more as Troops choices, which in turn means better toughness and mobility. Bikes also have (iirc) the Relentless special rule with 6th Ed, meaning they can move and still rapid fire, making the mobility of the army all the more valuable.

Digital Weapons allow my character to reroll one failed Wound per Assault Phase, which is helpful to make sure I get all I can out of my Relic Blade and makes it even more valuable as a weapon. The Storm Bolter is good for short-range firefights and will keep its full power throughout the game, unlike a combi-weapon. The Melta Bombs give my Captain some anti-vehicle ability, giving me a chance to take down that last Hull Point on a tank harassing my bikers.

The Aux Grenade Launcher is included to allow me more versatility in the Shooting Phase, allowing me to lob a Frag grenade into a squad before assaulting, or a Krak Grenade for tougher opponents.

The Artificier Armour is there simply because it makes my guy harder to kill, I doubt this one requires explanation.

So yes, this build is very expensive, but gives your HQ a lot of versatility and can cause some pain if played right.

If you are taking a bike, a storm bolter isn't really required. the bike already has a twin linked bolter , the only advantage you get for the cost is 1 extra bolter shot at 24 inches. Take hellfire rounds instead(which can be used in a bikes twinlinked bolter) or use the extra points elsewhere in your list I'd say.

it all depends on what he tags along wth....

if i took a captain instead of a chaplain...

i ran one of two ways

first as mentioned...

captain/chapter master w/relic blade artificer armour/storm shield and gernade launcher

put him with a terminator squad mix is th/ss and TLC and kill a lot....put ina crusader or redemeer for extra effect

the chapter master gave the orbital bombardment for that last smack in the face...

option two (usually a captain also blood angels)

jump pack w/TLC and an assault squad w/chaplain possibly a dc squad with lemartes worked great....

For a footslogging captain, I'd go with artificer & relic blade, so he can reliably murder those power fists in squads and deal with most infantry.

Otherwise, bike + power fist + maybe artificer armor. I'd definitely not go with thunder hammer as I don't think it really makes that much of a difference. The bike, fist, artificer, stormshield captain just seems massively expensive to me, though.

If you're not going for a storm shield as well, the extra attack from paired lightning claws actually makes them more killy vs. grunts.

The thunder hammer is situational, but if you're fighting an MC you wont kill in one round, for 5 points its nice to only have it hit before you once.

Favorite/most used:

Captain-170

Bike, Artificier armour, Relic Blade

The classic Biker Captain loadout, mine is normally run with a Bike squad, or a Biker Command squad. Nice little bit of combat punch with the ability to make bikes scoring. In some cases I give him a Power Fist to be able to take on MCs and other tough characters.

And heres a fun one:

Captain-150

Dual Claws, Jump Pack

While Lightning Claws took a big hit with 6th edition, he can still carve his way through Power Armour and below with a suitable squad. Throw him in a Vanguard or Assault squad, and have fun. Good as a counter-charge unit also.

That bike captain is 180 points, not 170. I run the exact same setup. :lol: It does indeed care through tons of infantry and can win challenges against non-TDA or other 2+ armor units handily.

I think your Claw captain is 5 points short as well. He should run to 155, not 150.

To be honest, I think that artificer armour is now a must take, with all the changes to power weapons. It's now the storm shield that's an optional, and even I've been contemplating losing it and going back to a relic blade Captain with artificer armour and a hellfire bolter, to fit better with my Sternguard etc.

There's still nothing wrong with the relic blade though, as others have said it reliably cuts down power fists in challenges, unless they've got a 2+, in which case why is he taking the challenge? HQs should always be with another model that can take challenges, the problem is that against ICs with a 2+ they won't be great, just a roadbump, so I can see the desire of an AP2 weapon on the Captain.

Swings and roundabouts though, I've contemplated a power axe or fist, but still prefer the relic blade at this moment in time.

Im also a big fan of the Relic blade, its like a souped up power-sword.

Its a good middle ground between the killing power of a fist, and the speed of the smaller power weapons. Ill never take an unwieldly weapon with my captain... That Initiative 5 is too good to waste. That said, i do think a captain with jump pack and thunder hammer would look awesome, so i might take one equipped that way...

In smaller games, say under 1000 points, i don't take the Storm Shield, a 4+ invulnerable is good enough. I think we marine players get quite hung up on the 3+ save, since we're so used to it, anything less seems pitiful. But i'd rather spend that 15 points somewhere else.

It might be worth noting that its not worth taking artifice armour if all you ever roll on your armour saves is 1!

To true, may friend!

Why is it my Artificer armour models can take 3 saves and failed 2 on a reliable basis?

:D

So how did your Captain do matey? Any noticable scalps.

Died to boltguns mainly - 4 1's in a row was my fave - wound/wound/failed look out sir/dead.

Killed a Vanguard Veteran squad before they got to strike, and a couple of 5 man grey hunter squads - try doing that with a relic blade in one turn! (without a chapter banner... :D )

It might be worth noting that its not worth taking artifice armour if all you ever roll on your armour saves is 1!

Very true. Who care if I get saves against krak missiles, I guarantee I'll roll a 1 anyway! :devil:

I've recently begun using spare bits to convert characters from the Badab War books from Forgeworld, and one character has stood out to me as a cheap, effective choice; Pellas Mir'san

For 150 points you get:

Higher WS

Cinder Edge (master-crafted Power Weapon) - I use as a sword

Power Weapon - Axe here

Combi-flamer

Artificier Armour

And a couple handy special rules for challenges and keeping a key squad in the fight longer.

Plus you get to keep combat tactics.

So far, easily my favourite Space Marine named character. A great package in all.

I run a biker Captain lathered in upgrades, Artificer armour is pretty much needed imo.

I ran her with meltabombs, hellfire rounds, digital weapons and a power sword today against mech guard.

She took out 2 Leman Russ, a chimeara, a unit of plasma vets and an upgraded company command squad! Not bad for 190 points.

The best thing was that we were playing kill points :D

I run a biker Captain lathered in upgrades, Artificer armour is pretty much needed imo.

I ran her with meltabombs, hellfire rounds, digital weapons and a power sword today against mech guard.

She took out 2 Leman Russ, a chimeara, a unit of plasma vets and an upgraded company command squad! Not bad for 190 points.

The best thing was that we were playing kill points :)

Very nice.

My Captain so far has killed...no-one thus far, seeing as he doesnt have an army to back him up and hes still an amputee right now, however, the three Captain Chainswords I need arrived today, I'm basing them tomorrow and then sitting down at GW on Saturday to get them painted and cut up for the conversion (looking at my loadout, take a guess what I plan).

When I get some battles under my belt, we'll see how much those extra 23 points is giving him in comparison, its slow going right now thanks to my lack of available time to paint and build (and the fact I suck) but I'm still going until I get my full army ready.

As for the suggestion about Hellfire rounds, while I value the suggestion, I feel it best to continue for a couple reasons:

Firstly, I've already got the Storm Bolter on the model in a plausible manner after much posing and inwardly cursing the laws of physics (that and cutting the big strap off it), so taking it off and replacing it with a normal bolter would be pretty difficult (and soul-crushing).

Secondly, because of the setup of a lot of people I see in the store, I feel the Strength value of normal bolter rounds is more beneficial, plus the extra shots will help when charging a unit, I can take those few extra footsoldiers down at short-range and then charge in with the Relic Blade.

oops, just saw people posting about twin-weapon characters and put him up. My bad.

Only generic captain I run is the typical RB biker captain, with AA. Storm Shield and Hellfire rounds optional. I actually run him just as often with my Attack Bike squad (HB, no MM) as I do with a Bike squad or Command Squad on bikes. I have been looking at making a PF/LC with AA Bike captain, but figure I'll wait a bit.

I need help with a IA Siegemaster I'm making. Torn between a SS or a plasma pistol because of modeling issues. I want him to carry a GK nemesis blade as a relic blade, but I want it to look like he can switch to a two handed grip also...

which would be better for an assault guy?

Archived