Are vehicle upgrades worthwhile?

Warmammer

Are we talking run of the mill upgrades or the weaponry upgrades the predator has? If it's the former, I only buy them voluntarily if I have a handful of points to use up. If it's the latter, it depends on what you plan on facing, what your army make-up is and what your play style is. :)

I put dozer blades on my rhinos at every opportunity. I want my scoring units on the objective before the rhino gets destroyed, danggit, and they're cheap insurance to cover a 1/6 chance of immobilization.

I almost never use extra armor (though I'd consider it for dreadnoughts and land raiders) - it's too expensive for the very infrequent "stunned" result.

I used to be an adamant user of Extra Armor on everything -- but frankly, with the advent of HPs, it just doesn't matter any more. I still use it on dreadnoughts with CCWs, and it makes sense for Land Raiders that are carrying assault units. Other than that, it's very situational and probably not worth the price of a plasma gun.

As for the extra weapons, I'd say to take one or two on a Vindicator or Predator -- now that Weapon Destroyed results are random, it spreads out the chances that your big guns will go away. A Vindi, for example, comes with a stormbolter and the Demolisher cannon -- a 50% chance that you'll lose the cannon on a WD result. Add a second stormbolter and an HK missile, and now you're looking at a 25% chance instead. Is it worth the points? Maybe, maybe not. But the concept is worth considering.

I never really take extra armour on anything. Maybe Dreads if I have the points, it can be useful then. Maybe Land Raiders. But other than not, it's not worth it. Tripling in points at the beginning of last edition limited its worth, and HPs have further limited it.

Additional storm bolters, not really. Never on transports, they're transports, not gun tanks. The Vindicator comes with one as standard to help protect its big gun. Land Raiders it pales in comparison to other weapons. Dakka preds maybe, if I have the points.

HKMs, I never really do. I'm not a big fan of single one shot weaponry. Basically, it has to be with other one shot weapons, or mesh well with other weapons. So maybe on a combi-pred, but I wouldn't really take them.

Finally, dozer blades, yes, if I have the points. Dangerous terrain rolls for vehicles are more dangerous now you lose a HP as well, this helps stop that from happening. It's very cheap, helps expand where you can move, what's not to like? Great little upgrade, I don't take it too much though as I don't want to glue it on and lock myself into taking it, and I can't be asked to pin every one of them yet. But it's a good upgrade to take. If you have to take one, take this. Although not on Preds, they don't really move too much. Unless it's a Baal Pred, then take it. :P

I leave everything stock, except for Vindicators which I add a dozer blade. It's never worth it to call it a siege shield because with a dozer blade you only have a 1/36 or 2.6% chance of getting immobilized. Those are pretty good odds. I do add the dozer blade because the Vindicator is so short ranged, sometimes you'll want to get cover from a short wall or forest one turn, and drive over it the next. Adds a lot of flexibility for only 5 points. The other upgrades, in my opinion, aren't really worth it since vehicles got so fragile.

Hunter killers can be a nice addition for a bit of extra punch.

True and I have seen them kill things from time to time but I've also seen them miss, roll a 1 to penetrate, or only shake/stun another vehicle. There's always a better way to spend 10 points in a codex

Archived