Squad markings

ixzion

I'm now painting my first unit, an Assault Squad, for my Flesh Tearers. I'm getting to the stage where I'm going to paint on squad markings. I know that they should have a low gothic numeral on their right knee pad, but I haven't found is how the numbering works. I've come up with a few different options for the numbering, and I need help selecting the "correct" one.

One way to go with it is to have the squad numbers unique within each unit type. So the first Assault Squad has number one, the second number two and so on. When I later paint my first Tactical Squad it gets number one and then I start counting up again for all my tactical squads.

The second way is to have the numbering unique within the company. So my first squad has number one, second number two and so on, regardless of unit type.

To me, the first option sounds more reasonable, but I would like to hear your opinion before I start marking them.

I believe Marine squads are numbered according to the second option. So IIRC, for a normal "battle company", squads 1-6 would be Tactical Squads, 7-8 Assault Squads, and 9-10 Devastator Squads. You can go with whatever way you find aesthetically pleasing, though. Don't think too many people are going to look at a nicely painted squad and freak out about the squad numbering--we're not WWII gamers, afterall. :P

Yep, 1-6 Tactical, 7-8 assault, 9-10 dev.

Except for the reserve companies

Oddly, was looking through AoD this morning, and knee pads were just coloured for squad type, some were designed (possibly design was significant?), shoulder pads were numbered

Thanks for the answers! I guess I will go with the second option then and denote the first Assault Squad as squad number 7. But what happens if you have more than 2 Assault Squads?

And yeah I know that this might not be the most important issue in the world, but still, I want it to be good and proper ;). I'm using Lexicanum as a source btw as I'm painting Flesh Tearers http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Flesh_Tearers#Organisation. There was very limited information in the C:BA about this.

Yeah that also makes sense! Maybe I will do that then. Well, it's not really an issue yet as I'm still painting my first Assault Squad and only have one more Assault Squad in the painting pipeline at the moment. But it's good for future reference.

I don't think it's actually states anywhere that squad numbers/ markings are specific to units types, since the squads tend to rotate duties it seems odd to me that they would change their squad markings, I've randomised the markings in my own army based purely on what feels right at the time/ what details are on the models already that might interfere.

Archived