Bleached Bone Power Armor HQ's

FarFromSam

I know this was brought up before, and I believe most agreed that you should "paint them the way you think looks cool." But that many (myself included) felt that bleached bone/white armor was reserved for the 1st company. Then I saw this over at BOLS

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh501/farfromsam7/DA_ADL.png

Is this old fluff that was retconned, or fan artwork, or is this old news? What ever the case I was just wondering if I should save the HQ from the DV and make a tribute bleached bone PA Captain.

Thanks for any answers :cuss

That's an old, oooold piece of artwork done for the cover of the 2nd edition expansion Dark Millenium. Perhaps that particular captain was a veteran of the 1st company and used the bone white as part of his colour scheme. Or he was a regular captain who painted his armour white for the hell of it. :eek

It was a 2nd Ed piece as stated. Back then there was a Force Commander which was below a Captain/Master. Either way, the person has been inducted into the Deathwing/Inner Circle and wears bone to signify that status.

This is before robes over armour was deemed fashionable for Dark Angels.

I think this is similar to the Blood Angels' debate about Captains wearing gold armour instead of the normal red.

It is an old piece of artwork, yes. But having said that if I was a Dark Angel player I would have my Captain in bone/white armour.

- EgoDraconumNigrorum

This is the cover of dark millenium for 2nd edition as stated...

In the 2nd edition codex for DA (codex angels of death shared with BA) it was stated that all company masters were members of DW and so they wear partially bone armour to reflect the status and the robes were a Inner Circle only thing...

So the PA marines had green armour... RW black armour... DW bone armour... Inner Circle robes over the armour...

It changed in 3rd edition when robes became a DW thing so all company masters had green PA with robes and veteran sergeant did too if you upgraded them to DW...

In 4th edition the use of robes became wider again so now it's a veteran status and not just a DW status...

P.S.: IMHO all BA captains should wear gold armour...

It was a 2nd Ed piece as stated. Back then there was a Force Commander which was below a Captain/Master. Either way, the person has been inducted into the Deathwing/Inner Circle and wears bone to signify that status.

This is before robes over armour was deemed fashionable for Dark Angels.

lol at picturing fashionable Dark Angels lol

Thnx for the clarification Master Sheol

EgoDraconumNigrorum- I'm definitely going to paint him up Boned

P.S.: IMHO all BA captains should wear gold armour...

Yeah I agree. Gold armoured Captains look awesome!!

EgoDraconumNigrorum- I'm definitely going to paint him up Boned

Good move. As others have said before, the Captains are all part of the Deathwing so I see no reason why they shouldnt be clad in bone/white.

- EgoDraconumNigrorum

In the 1st Edition rulebook there is a photo of a model painted in that partial bone/DA green pattern cited as being a "Space marine captain". The only difference being in the 1st ed image the chestplate is dark green, the helmet 'face' is white but the bulk is dark green. There is also another "Space marine captain" with DA livery, who is all green apart from bone white shoulder pads with gold trim, and a bone white power fist.

Actually, looking at those pics again, the dark green could in fact be black :).

Personally, judging by those pics I don't like the mix. But I could be convinced otherwise.

I do love the white/green mix, but I prefer actual white for deathwing instead of 'bone white', both for the terminators and the masters. As a side note, I also like mixing black with green for armor to make it more like the original black armor, but still keeping with the modern idea of a dark green. I'm still on the fence about whether it should be a red or white chapter icon on the shoulder pads though, I do like the white better on green armor though, and red on the white.

I had an old Azrael laying around that I never use and tried painting him up with gold/bronze armor and purple robes, I don't like the outcome at all, because I do look at the BA and was wondering if gold armor would be cool on the DA models too. But of course this is the first time I've tried such a thing so it may turn out better for someone who is a better painter. I got the idea from seeing that most of the primarchs seem to have armor that is different from their legion, usually gold. And BA have gold armor chapter master.

When my mate got me into DA, he painted up a chapter master for me, bone PA, bronze detail and green cloth because "bone armour looks really cool!". Needless to say that since then I have been convinced that bone PA rocks, but never fancied going Angels of absolution/redemption. I've now got the bone PA master and a matching command squad (bone armour/dark green robes) and I thought that bone fits with green so well that all my marines have bone shoulder and knee pads.

It almost makes me weep that people don't know that image. Even more so that it was on BoLS without attribution to the magnificent Geoff Taylor but that's the internet for you. :D

However farfromsam you have reminded me that I was planning to buy the original painting - email has now been sent - so all is forgiven. :D

It was one of the first 40k I've ever saw. I was 14 back then... Knew nothing about 40k, but the images were jaw-dropping back then.

I guess I've seen somewhere a photo of an actual bone-coloured DA PA HQ. I guess it was the image from one of the old WD.

Yikes there's a blast from the past. Completely forgotten about that all-white PA image.

Like most Armies' colour schemes, the Dark Angels certainly have changed but it's still a bit of a shock when you turn back and look at how they used to be. I haven't seen those images for a long time.

I actually think some of the marines painted in white looked pretty cool back then. Made you want to know more about the mysterious Deathwing and what a marine needed to do to become a member. This was before the 2nd edition background was published which fleshed a lot of it out.

Well, PA is green for as long as there are DA Codices (1995 or there abouts)... In the pre-Codex times the art of the cover of the Dark Millenium above (which is awesome btw) as well as other smaller references hinted towards white as a colour for senior DAs. Also in the pics above, the DW is depicted as wearing PA - another no-no for the post Codex era... I mean since Azrael is portrayed as wearing green in every official picture ever, it pretty much means that in the white PA is non-canon.

Interstingly GW is adopting white in the current Codex for everything DW - Termie armour, Ven Dreads and LRs (to my dismay :() - so this leaves some room to introduce white on Greenwing Captains (since they all are Inner Circle) although it'll be more canonical if you use it as a detail or part of personal healrdy.

My two cents.

There was an old White Dwarf where they interviewed a hobbiest about his models, including his Dark Angel army complete with scratch built Deathwing Landraider (bone white and converted from a world war 1 tank I believe. That was back in the days GW didn't mind people doing that to fill holes in the range as there was no Landraider back then). I remember he had painted Azrael and the other two special characters models in Deathwing colours also, which was wierd but looked pretty cool.

Archived