Contemptor, Storm Eagle or Spartan?

Haranin

Eying another unit to go with my dark angels crusade/HH force (nope, no fallen here, move along now...)

Hesitant on the storm eagle, as we will be getting a new flyer soonish.

I would like something that is effective both in 30k and 40k.

Comments?

If you are looking for a flyer that can transport there is the Ceastus Ram. lqtm

Contemptors are nice though. I have one and am putting together another one.

I would say it depends on what you are looking for. Transporting, shooty or flyer so you have something to compete against other flyers for advantage over ground.

I like the Contemptor plus it's a bit less costly compared to the others from FW. lqtm and it can be nice for poses.

I don't think you're going to get any more out of the Spartan than you will with any other Land Raider. It's not super heavy so you're not going to reasonably get more than fourteen models worth out of the transport capacity. You can get more firepower, cheaper with other units.

The Storm Eagle has the same problem but isn't even as well armed.

The Caestus could be interesting. I've got one to put together myself. Not going to get full use of the transport capacity with Deathwing. I'm leaning towards putting in an assault squad instead. I really don't see it being worth it outside of an apocalypse game though.

The Contemptor seems the most useful of the four. If you make it a Mortis you get some good AA capability while still being good against ground targets. Not too expensive pointswise for what you get.

As for modeling, you're the final judge of what you want to do but the Contemptor is very easy to pose and is really only limited by your imagination.

I don't think you're going to get any more out of the Spartan than you will with any other Land Raider. It's not super heavy so you're not going to reasonably get more than fourteen models worth out of the transport capacity. You can get more firepower, cheaper with other units.

The Storm Eagle has the same problem but isn't even as well armed.

The Caestus could be interesting. I've got one to put together myself. Not going to get full use of the transport capacity with Deathwing. I'm leaning towards putting in an assault squad instead. I really don't see it being worth it outside of an apocalypse game though.

The Contemptor seems the most useful of the four. If you make it a Mortis you get some good AA capability while still being good against ground targets. Not too expensive pointswise for what you get.

As for modeling, you're the final judge of what you want to do but the Contemptor is very easy to pose and is really only limited by your imagination.

It was my understanding that the Caestus' transport capacity is unique, in that it doesn't capacity between PA and TDA, it's always 10. Something to do with it's design.

EDIT: Nevermind, just remembered the max squad of 5 for Deathwing.

Cheers,

Jono

I second the caestus too. It's biggest advantave is AV13 front and side, with a 5++ for the front. It isn't great at anti-air since the only way it can take care of other flyers is ramming them, but it's definitely a bear to take down. Also, it looks really cool!

:wub: Contemptor :huh:

its easy to put together and simply...it rocks,im getting mine this friday and i reckon its going to look great in some weathered dark green and a splash of Gold :wub:

i have a storm eagle...its a little bit warped in some parts so warm water and a lot of time to make that.... :lol:

cheers mithril

I would say try to scratch build the Caestus first (there are easily available plans on tinterweb). If you are successful, then you'll have saved yourself loads of cash and would be able to buy one of the other two. Plus you'll immediately become semi-godlike in the eyes of modellers everywhere! :)

Hello there,

I would go for the contemptor, it is relevant in both eras, especially a mortis variant with sky fire/ interceptor.

If you can I would wait for Forgeworld to release the Dark Angel Legion one.

DM

If you're considering a Spartan or a Storm Eagle/Caestus then you could almost stretch to two Contemptors - one mortis, one standard :P

First off you need to remember that the Mortis pattern Contemptor is not in the Legion army list so don't build one you cant use in the Legion army if you are planing to use the Legion rules. That said a Talon of Contemptors can be a fearsome threat considering the firepower they bring to the front. Of all the choices the 1-3 Contemptors is by far the most flexible and durable and destructive.

The Legion Storm Eagle isn't bad. It isn't as heavily armed as the Storm Raven or Storm Talon but feels more like a real aircraft. It can function in an air suppression role but may not excel there and its overall utility might wain as antiair becomes more prevalent in the later years of this edition. Think of it as a fling Land Raider with more missiles.

The Spartan is an enormous investment in points for an army but benefits from being the toughest non super heavy in the game. When taking a Spartan consideration must be given not just to what it can kill but just how much firepower it will draw away from your other units. Fitted with Laser destroyers it will excel at tank hunting like no other but will always be most at home delivering troops into assault. you will have to plan on the destruction of this powerful tank in building your army and should consider bating opponents, drawing their guns away from your assault units with this vehicle.

The Caestus is a unique case nearly as tough as a Land Raider but costing more then a Spartan the Caestus will excel in environs where mobility is at a premium for ground units like cities and other built up or terrain heavy tables. While having the option to take on is always a plus the Caestus lacks the utility of the Storm Eagle and is really not at home in smaller armies where the points aren't present to makeup for this. It also has limited transport capacity for a flyer further reducing its value on the table.

I agree with Raven Angel. Eveyrthing has its uses but from what I hear the Stormeagle could be challenge to build... Unless you are expirienced with FW large kits I'd say be prepared for a challenging project. Having said that, I'd do a Talon of Contemptors... :tu:

Contemptor(s). It's a wonderfully pose-able kit and magnetising the arms requires no more effort than gluing two disc magnets in place without getting the polarity wrong. That way you get both the standard and mortis versions with variable load-outs.

Archived