Librarian Seconded to Deathwatch, Paint Schemes

Avon Rekaes

Hello brothers!

So I'm planning on doing something a bit different for my Dark Angels Librarian, possibly the one from the DV box set, dunno yet. I want to make him unique by painting him up as if he was seconded to the Deathwatch, so he's mostly going to be going by that colorscheme. However, I'm not sure how to incorporate the Dark Angels Green and Librarian Blue into his appearance.

I've mostly decided that he will be robed or wearing a tabard (even if I end up not using the Turmiel model), so I've included that in the below army painter color schemes. So, which do you guys think looks best for a Dark Angels Deathwatch Librarian?

MARK 1

gallery_67890_7900_50383.png

MARK 2

gallery_67890_7900_59102.png

Mark 2 is the more understated, with the normal colored robes. It would look more uniform with other Dark Angels wearing the same robes, but it loses some of the visual impact of Mark 1's green robes that clearly identify him as a Dark Angel.

I'm also up for suggestions on where the Librarian skull-badge of office and the Dark Angels chapter icon should go. Which do you think belongs on the right pauldron, and where should the other one go if not there?

I may be wrong, but I believe this blog features some of the art from the deatwatch rpg (looks similar to stuff on the DW website) - http://counterfett.blogspot.com/2011/01/ar...ch-marines.html

It seems to mirror your second option quite closely. The Librarian badge is actually on his kneepad and chest (yours would be covered in the case of chest though).

And for kicks, here is a couple nice pieces of related artwork I came across -

http://lord-dubu.deviantart.com/art/Lethan...Watch-194957600 (not a DA Libby)

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/032...ald-d3cpzts.jpg (DA Libby in the center there)

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Deathwatch_Epistolary (couple of nice images, also featuring DA Librarians - though the first image is sort of labeled wrong - as he wound't be 1st Co. per se)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Deathwatch...ry#.UKFVOULAKS0 (White Scars Deathwatch Librarian)

Actually, that image on that last page I linked is noted as coming from the Deathwatch: Rites of Battle book. And the wikia page also sources Deathwatch books.

Oh, neat! Thanks for the link, EPK. That should help me a lot with the color scheme. Looks like the rim of the right pauldron should be Librarian Blue with Dark Angels Green on the inner surface...

Now I just need to figure out how I'm gonna get that tiny horned skull on the kneepad.... hooboy...

EDIT: Oh, missed your other links (teaches me to start a reply and get distracted by work). Looks like I have some decent options, there. Not all of the pictures even have the Libarian horned skull. I think I may be able to get away with having it on the backpack, and keeping the rest of the Librarian details just as blue armor plates. Like the alternate chapter/libarian kneepads on that White Scars libby, and his shoulderpad is given over entirely to chapter colors rather than being rimmed in librarian blue, or the traditional deathwatch silver. Will have to give it some thought.

Anyways, thanks for all the material to mull over, EPK! I wish I could get those Dark Angel forearm details like in those awesome illustrations you linked.

Oh, neat! Thanks for the link, EPK. That should help me a lot with the color scheme. Looks like the rim of the right pauldron should be Librarian Blue with Dark Angels Green on the inner surface...

Now I just need to figure out how I'm gonna get that tiny horned skull on the kneepad.... hooboy...

The other links I posted actually have the chapter icon repeated on the right knee pad. The horned skull could be on the left in that case. I'm not exactly sure which is cannon. I suppose you could also just leave the pad blue like the White Scars example.

Oh, and it appears that TDA-clad DA Librarian comes directly from one of the Deathwatch source books. Go figure.

Not all of the pictures even have the Libarian horned skull. I think I may be able to get away with having it on the backpack, and keeping the rest of the Librarian details just as blue armor plates. Like the alternate chapter/libarian kneepads on that White Scars libby, and his shoulderpad is given over entirely to chapter colors rather than being rimmed in librarian blue, or the traditional deathwatch silver. Will have to give it some thought.

I suppose you can write it off to different chapters or even the individual Librarian having some say in certain adornments (though it's probably just artistic license on the part of the illustrator).

And you are welcome - I'm a google addict.

Well I actually painted up a model of a dark angels deathwatch librarian to use when I play the deathwatch rpg as a visual representation of my character. I really wanted the blue to be subtle, and so I went and painted the little sun on the left shin guard blue to represent the librarian aspect. And as far as the colour to represent the dark angels, I adhered to the guidelines provided to every marine seconded to the deathwatch. Not verbatim but basically states that the entirety of the armour is to be painted black with two basic exceptions (obviously a Libby gets three exceptions with the blue) but the entire left arm is to be gunmetal silver, and the right shoulder pauldron is to remain the chapters colour, with the chapter symbol on that pauldron.

Here have some pics!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/Angel_CMSS/5A357792-B693-4E5B-8045-C68183723F23-515-00000050648BF1B2.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/Angel_CMSS/73DBC23F-052C-4D59-A5F5-4155C2840833-515-000000507B53FA20.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/Angel_CMSS/D2F39718-3AA1-42BB-AD9B-1F0966CA7877-515-00000050A41D66B2.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/Angel_CMSS/C10BFB16-8638-4C36-9CE9-F9632DE30AD3-515-00000050BC9EC34F.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/Angel_CMSS/7B7A087A-5BFF-4B54-A8EE-7A9ED0662D33-515-00000050B2814358.jpg

Thanks for the additional inspiration, AngelVeto. You mention the entire right pauldron is given over to chapter colors, but your figure has the rim in Deathwatch Silver. Is that how they're supposed to be, or is there some wiggle room?

Also, with the images EPK provided, I've come up with this modified scheme. Tell me what you think:

gallery_67890_7900_136918.png

The red numeral on his green kneepad is a stand-in for the 3rd Company diagonal slash, or possibly the red deathwing broken sword (depending on how high a rank he was before he was seconded to the Deathwatch.)

Hrm... that actually gives me an idea. One of the links EPK gave me mentioned that sometimes Librarians are called upon by the Deathwatch after they've finished their tour with them. Perhaps my Libby could be mainly Dark Angels colors with a only a nod to the Deathwatch, signifying he's ended his vigil, but incorporates some of their iconography in his personal heraldry to mark his time with them....

Gonna cook up a new scheme and see how it looks..

Well I used personal choice in the chapter pauldron. The deathwatch silver is supposed to muted, so for the arm I used boltgun metal (now leadbelcher) and the rim of the chapter pauldron I used mithril silver ( now runefang steel)

And as far as your "newer image" I like it, but I personally feel there is still too much blue. But that's totally personal preference.

And I think grotsmasha is correct, I will check my deathwatch source books when I get home

I could be wrong, but iirc, brothers returned to their chapter from the Deathwatch put their Chapter pad back on the left and the Inq pad is moved to their right.

Having said that, the 2nd scheme you have there is quite nice.

Cheers,

Jono

I have that on a Deathwing Terminator, but I'd put in on his right arm as I figured the Crux supercedes such honors. Didn't realize that's actually how it's done when they return :lol:

Okay, here's my try at a "Formerly seconded to the Deathwatch" DA Libby color scheme:

gallery_67890_7900_175306.png

I feel like this would work best on the Turmiel model. I might be able to carve out a Deathwatch shoulderpad rim and glue it onto him, havta check the model when I get home. I think the Green on Black works pretty well for the robes.

Sorry, to be more clear, that is my depiction of a Dark Angels Librarian that was formerly with the Deathwatch, but has since returned to the Dark Angels, and bears toned down Deathwatch iconography to signify his term of service with them. (Thus switching the Deathwatch pauldron to the right.)

Ah, very well then. Generally speaking the battle brother leaves the armour it's deathwatch colour as a mark of honour, but that's just fluff. Anyway I got home and took a few pics from the book. It seems the standard deathwatch librarian image was like one of yours with a large amount of blue, but I believe that to also be due to the specific chapter he was from.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/Angel_CMSS/AFCCAE01-DA1B-4796-91A5-61A1B1A7A710-966-000000811BC57761.jpg

And it seems the norm for deathwatch dark angels to be depicted with the silver on the chapter pauldron as well so that may be where I got it from without even realizing it.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/Angel_CMSS/7AFB1688-DF36-4F32-8C41-4749D7158F07-966-0000008116C04B8A.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/Angel_CMSS/353B0685-535F-4C00-919F-AC7302FE0C69-966-00000081113E5270.jpg

And as it carries on with the subject of this topic I took a snap shot of the beginning section of what happens after the brother has been accepted.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/Angel_CMSS/10040FC0-6275-43BF-BDD5-2EC5E3E464E8-966-000000810B690CCF.jpg

Thanks for all the help, AngelVeto! Looks like I will go with that silver trim on the right pad.

It could be that Librarians wear more of their parent chapter's color, and that Storm Warden pic you posted just has more blue because Storm Wardens wear blue, but I think it's more likely that the traditional blue armor of the Librarium shows through more, and for the Storm Warden it's just a coincidence.

So Brothers that return to their parent chapter keep their armor all-black? I hadn't heard of that before.

I will try to find concrete proof later tonight, but I do remember reading that as a thank you for serving thing, they are allowed to keep their deathwatch armour scheme.

It also ties in wit the fact that most brothers that return are treated differently depending upon the length of service. And you cannot discuss what happened during your time except with other brothers who had served within the deathwatch.

Cool. Always interested in more 40k lore.

So, after looking over my bitz box, I decided against using Turmiel as my Deathwatch Librarian, going to save him for a fully-DA paint-scheme libby later on. What I ended up with was the Space Marine Commander torso back with the cape, and a spare Company Champion front with the loin-cloth. Here's what I think I'm gonna do with the paint scheme:

Mark 5:

gallery_67890_7900_11244.jpg

Basically it's the Mark 3 pattern with the silver rim corrected on the right pauldron. The dark red/purple color is the reverse side of the off-white of the loin cloth (So both the cape and the loin cloth will be off-white showing outside, and dark red/purple inside). That's how I'm doing all my Dark Angels robes, so it'll mesh well with other Dark Angels.

He's not evil! Just a terrifying superhuman with horrific supernatural powers! With a heart of gold! Really! :huh:

(As a side note, on the book, each page starts with a red letter, N, and A. Since this Deathwatch Libby is representing an allied Librarian from C:SM, each page represents a psychic power he's taken. Null Zone, and The Avenger. The Description of the Avenger power states it summons a psychic avatar of the Chapter's wrath, made of roiling flame. The little tiny drawing on the "A" page is supposed to be a diagram depicting this avatar. And his eyes are glowing red because he's summoning this psychic flame. :lol:)

Well done, love the eyes!

My one criticism is on the painting - you may want to try something only a little brighter than the base shade for the main highlighting and reserve that near-white color you used for the most extreme instances.

Thanks guys! I did them with a base layer of Mephiston Red, then a dab of Blazing Orange in the middle, and then a tiny point of Sunburst Yellow on top of that, followed by a glaze of Bloodletter Red that extended past the Mephiston Red onto the cheekbones, bridge of the nose, and brows.

EPK: Thanks. I'm pretty awful at highlightning >_> It always looks like it's either too much or too little to me. The blue is Enchanted Blue with Draken Nightshade over it. You think going back with Enchanted Blue would be enough?

Going back over with enchanted blue could work, but you might want to hit it again with draken nightshade anyway just so there is enough contrast between the two.

Alternatively, I wonder if you just washed him a couple more times with draken nightshade if that would tone down the white?

Archived