Rhinos in 6th

The Octagon

You are expecting Rhinos to die which is the main reason to take them over Drop Pods! Target saturation dictates a need to have armoured threats on the table, thus a couple Rhinos mixed in with Dreads, Predators and Landraiders will create a situation where firing at one saves the other.

Unless there is no option, or it's Purge the Alien, no one will destroy the Drop Pod because it does nothing after delivery. A Rhino on the other hand has a Search Light, can move about as a mobile cover and tank shock, and even protect a unit from harm. These things make the choice between them very genuine.

It sounds like your style is to have a unit in position and go from there and it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) you favour infantry in your list, so Rhinos don't fit your style. Fair enough mate.

I was just simply mentioning that it's a fallacy to consider the Rhino and Drop Pod similar Shaggy, that's all. If you prefer one over the other that's great. I don't like the Drop Pod models re. transport, so always take Rhinos, but I do think they're fragile.

This is exactly what I love and hate about forums. First, we can all have a honest discussion about merits and styles and in the end nobody's right or wrong, just different view points. I think that's awesome. Also, when things are typed instead of said in person, tone goes right out the window. It sounds like you guys were backpedaling thinking I was offended. That's simply not the case. You have your views and I have mine and both are perfectly valid. I'm just continuing the discussion on the similarity of the battlefield rolls of the two units. While similar, they are defiantly not the same.

To your point Cpt. Idaho, I'm usually a tread head, but I throw in one drop pod to keep me flexible on the first turn. I do tend to target areas as I play for board controll and opponent frustration instead of outright domination.

Guest Drunk Guardian
I like combining Drop Pods with Rhinos because the immediate impact of 2-3 drop pods landing in the enemy backfield on turn 1 increase the probability that 3 other Rhinos make it up the field due to the choices that now need to be made. If the backfield forces continue shooting at the Rhinos then its very likely my podded forces will be able to launch a T2 assault.

This is exactly what I love and hate about forums. First, we can all have a honest discussion about merits and styles and in the end nobody's right or wrong, just different view points. I think that's awesome. Also, when things are typed instead of said in person, tone goes right out the window. It sounds like you guys were backpedaling thinking I was offended. That's simply not the case. You have your views and I have mine and both are perfectly valid. I'm just continuing the discussion on the similarity of the battlefield rolls of the two units. While similar, they are defiantly not the same.

:wub:

Oh lordy, I'm not back pedalling! Just being polite. Epecially as I weren't involved in the previous conversation with yourself.

Woah, let's not blow things out of proportion. We have different views, and my last post was just to clarify why I had said the first one, neither was an attack on your good person Shaggy. If you have any more issues with what I posted, please PM me. That would be a better medium than this topic.

At 500pts you may get away with it, there's a chance you'll only see about one or two anti-tank weapons at most, which means you should be able to get your guyss across.

To be honest though, I'd maximise bodies and shooting output at 500pts.

Yeah, at 1k points taking a lone Rhino is tantamount to hoisting a big flag saying "Have a free VP from First Blood, please" :cuss

However, at 1k points you can easily fit in 2 Predators/Vindicators, 2 LS Typhoons and 2 Rhinos into a list, and all of a sudden there is a lot more target saturaton for your opponent to think about. ;)

Yeah, at 1k points taking a lone Rhino is tantamount to hoisting a big flag saying "Have a free VP from First Blood, please" ;)

However, at 1k points you can easily fit in 2 Predators/Vindicators, 2 LS Typhoons and 2 Rhinos into a list, and all of a sudden there is a lot more target saturaton for your opponent to think about. :D

Agreed, in my standard 1k list I have 2 Rhinos, 1 Razorback, and 1 Land Speeder at a minimum.

Archived