BA + SW - Large outflanking DCO?

the_mouth

Hey all,

Been screwing around with BA + SW builds. I have an obscene amount of foot/jumper models and no heavy armor (some rhinos, preds etc.)

Anyway, new idea for an all-foot army. Not hyper competitive of course, just seeing what I can come up with.

I was just messing around and had a crazy idea, and I don't even know if it would be legal - but I think it is?

Long story short - take a large dco on foot (15+ models) with a a WG BL w/ Saga of the Hunter...I think you see where I'm going with this.

Either outflank or screen with wolves.

Screen with fenrisian wolves for 5+ cover, BL gives unit stealth for 4+ cover while the screens last.

Pack in a 2+/3++ eternal warrior WL to tank ap3 pie plate hits ro let dco take their luck w/ 4+ cover.

BA libbie on foot w/ div or telepathy goes in there too.

Fill out rest of chart w/ minimum GH or BC on foot;

3x long fangs in small groups scattered; some lone wolves, attack bikes...cheap bits and pieces.

I'll post the whole list when I get home - but what do you think? Silly, absurd, or devious?

If memory serves I got 60+ wounds into this at 1500; not bad for marines. Aside from the blob it has a ton of small points priority targets coming along for the ride - lone wolves with melta bombs, attack bikes with multi meltas. Can't remember what else.

You might be better off with a Wolf Priest over a Wolf Guard Battle Leader:

- inherent Power Weapon (Maul), costs 15pts on the WGBL

- inherent Invulnerable Save

- Oath of War (Preferred Enemy)

- Fearless

- +1 Ld

you lose:

- 1BS, 1I, 1A, 30pts (15pts once you figure in the cost of a Power Weapon)

Never thought of that. Pretty damn nasty. Outflank with a re-roll for table edge, and can be obtained for only 80 points plus the cost of Death Company. Could actually be really strong and fairly competitive if you don't really overspend on the unit. Death Company with bolters and a couple axes should be able to just about collapse a flank on their own. I might have to try this out tomorrow if I get the chance. Props to you, sir!

Good lord Oath of War is stupid! Preferred Enemy (unit type) for the entire game, not just when they charge? rofl. 110 points for a character that can give Death Company Stealth, Outflank, Preferred Enemy (infantry), Acute Senses, and comes with a power maul and an invul save. That's absurd.

Hah, good snag on the Wolf Priest (Chaplain) didn't realize he could take Saga of the Hunter too. Way better.

It seems like a wild idea.

Remember too - if you don't outflank (screen from front) stealth is giving the unit 4+ cover saves as well.

I'll post a list soon, lol.

We don't get the pref-enemy. And you cannot assault on the turn you come on the board edge.

So you are effectively paying 110pts for a character who doesn't buff the unit and can do little more than a drop pod can considering you cannot assault from either outflank or deep strike.

It looks good on paper, but it is only really worth taking if you want to ally in a GH unit with Plasma and have them wander on.

Can you Outflank a unit including Terminators btw?

Hello,

yes you can outflank terminator unit, since your Wolf Priest or Rune Priest has the saga of the hunter (he must be in energetic armour)

You can outflank a unit with vehicle too (if the vehicle is attached for this unit: here, if you take a wolf guard pack, they have a landraider vehicle...)

Boo on the Chappie FAQ but I kinda figured that. Using just the stealth, wondering if Priest or BL would be better.

I still think this could be hard to deal with given a screen, marching up the field. Going to try it out this weekend, hopefully. I might also try a level 2 telepathy librarian in there. the 30% (ish) chance of getting Invisibility is almost worth it by itself just for the lolz.

Archived