New to the Dark Angels

Lord Squidar

Hi Guys,

Well like the millions of other players out there, i've got dark vengeance and am going to expand on it. In over 15 years of warhammer, these are my first marine models!!! I've been strictly fantasy and xenos up until this point.

Now last year I almost almost started a blood angels army. I liked the look of the models (sanguinary guard are ace) and the story was cool too, I just go irritated with the horrible colour clashes on the helmet and squad designation system. Blue for seargents and yellow for assault, talk about your colour clashes!!!

Anyways then the DV came along, they have the same dark brooding feel as the BA (but times 10) and an excellent story to boot.

So tomorrow I am popping down to the GW to pick up a second tactical squad. I've decided I want to collect the 5th company, simply because the world is flooded with deathwing and ravenwing armies and the green marines need some love too :devil: plus the DV models fit. I'm swopping the chosen from DV for a chapter upgrade frame (minus robed figs) so should have enough to make suitably DA looking marines.

Any tips on how I should equip the squad, and do DA seargents with power fists look cool, and what should my next purchase after this be, was thinking predator or whirlwind (want a long range force).

Thanks!

WELCOME TO THE ROCK, BROTHER!

Always glad to see new Dark Angels players here. I also share your love for the Greenwing (fan nickname for the "codex" elements of the Chapter). Good choice!

So DV nets you one tactical squad with an all-plasma option (Sarge w/ Plasma Pistol, Brother with Plasma Gun, and Brother with Plasma Cannon), which is pretty common for Dark Angels, since in past editions we were known for our access to plasma weaponry (It's no longer unique to DA, but it's nice to play to type).

Your second tactical squad could just do the same thing, or if you want some tank-hunting power, go Sarge w/ Power Fist, Brother with Meltagun, and Brother with Lascannon (or use Krak missiles with a standard-issue Missile Launcher, for less points). If you're looking for horde-controll out of your tactical squad, maybe go Sarge w/ Power Weapon (Probably a Power Sword. Our Chapter Icon does have a sword in it afterall. We tend to like blades.), Brother with Flamer, and Brother with Heavy Bolter (or Frag missiles with the Missile Launcher, for less points.)

After that, I'm not exactly sure which to take, since I don't currently have any Predators or Whirlwinds and therefore don't have any experience with their individual merits and drawbacks. However, I will say this:

6th Edition is very hard on vehicles, with the Hull Point system. You might be able to get more milleage out of a Devestator squad.

Welcome to the Rock Brother.

Here are your Robes, here's your Bolter and here are your Blades of Reason... oh wait, we'll look into that later. B)

I have always liked Whirlwinds, and I feel they are great value for the points they cost, especially if you face a lot of horde armies. Like Cultist heavy Chaos.

If you are looking into efficient long range shooting, I think another great option is to get two Land Speeder Typhoons. They do provide nice bang for your buck (even though they are not Greenwing).

You forgot the standard issue sewing and laundry kits.

To be honest when I joined the DA at first I regretted it. I was like: Green seriously? Why I didn't take the Black Templars and shoved them down the throat of my bud?

Then I saw the company master model...

But know this: Once you join the Rock, you will always be a Dark Angel. So make amends for your xenos past by starting painting those marines!

I nod in silent agreement to our brother Terrahawks suggestion both on the speeder and Whirlwind.

Welcome to the Rock!

Just to clarify...

6th Edition is very hard on vehicles, with the Hull Point system. You might be able to get more milleage out of a Devestator squad.

6th edition isn't really any harder on vehicles than 5th was. If you have one or two they'll be blown up quickly because the opponent won't have anything else to shoot at. If you have lots of them then most of them will survive long enough to do what they're supposed to. I'm not a big fan of devs in general, since for the same price as an all missile dev squad I was able to get two vindicators and a pred.

Also, welcome to the Rock! Green's a good color, I tend to stick with it myself.

Welcome to the rock brother!

Now as whirlwinds and land speeders have been touched upon already (even tho speeders are ravenwing) I'll touch on a few other things.

First the predator. Now I've only gotten a few games in since I vowed my predator for this month and started working on it. However it was pretty awesome. I ran the annihilator variant ( twin linked lascannon turret) and heavy bolter sponsons against a Cron-Air list. I also went all greenwing. I ran a vindicator, predator, 4 tac squads with meltas in rhinos and a company champion and command squad in a razorback. The vindicator drew the ire of the scarabs allowing the predator to down 2 buses and immobilize a third. Then it got glanced to death in a horrific way. Like a 3 HP vehicle was glanced 9 times...

Now on the subject of Deathwing and Ravenwing... They are very nice to have. I've got a rather decent 1500 pt list that encompasses all three wings. Terminators that can have a cyclone missile launcher being wielded by a guy with a 3^ invuln is a scary thing... Plus with Deathwing assault can have one squad come in top of your turn one wherever they are needed most.

And Ravenwing is just as amazing. A 6 man squad with teleport homers on every bike for "free" straight t5 and the jink save there is a ton of potential for them, I sometimes even use them as a distraction as my opponents have learned to fear the top of my first turn if I have bikes on the field, and they become fire magnets, which with t5 takes a bit to kill them. And they get a 5^ cover save... Always.

Now as far as hq's go, many will tell you the merits of them, but my personal choice is belial with LC, apoth and standard. Gives him 5 attacks base, 6 on the charge at I5. As far as Sammy goes I like to run him in his land speeder. Two linked assault cannons and twin linked heavy bolter from a land raider ( sammys landspeeder has a/v 14 front and sides) that can fly around the battlefield like crazy is an awesome thing.

But eventually you will have played enough games to form your own opinions... You're on the tight path... The right path.

In the name of the Lion and of the Emperor to forth and cleanse the worlds brother!

I'll lean towards conventional wisdom here. Play as many games as you can even if they are small games. Once a month, or once a paycheck, depending on what you can afford, pick up a new unit that you find interesting. Let your collection grow organically and you won't go wrong.

That being said, you have anti-elite covered with the plasma squad. Your next squad and the pred you're already interested in should fill opposite rolls. Either do the lascannon/melta squad for vehicle controll and auto cannon/heavy bolter for horde controll, or heavy bolter/flamer squad with triple las cannon pred for vehicles. I like the latter since 3 las cannons will shred just about any vehicle and the squad's bolters will fit better as a trooper killer instead of being wasted against vehicles with av11 or more.

thanks for all the replies! My purchasing of the tactical squad was deferred until tomorrow, but Igot my dark angels bits today, nice looking things that they are!

I am liking the sound of the heavy bolter/flamer tac squad and trip las cannon pred, although I hope we get the new plasma pred too when the new book comes out.

Just a quick question about dreadnaughts. Are they all from the death wing or could you have a green wing or ravenwing dread?

P.s. what is the gauntlet? :)

P.s. what is the gauntlet? :huh:

A right of initiation. You must kitbash your own belial model and paint it.

Hmm...

And in answer to your question OP you can have greenwing dreadnoughts. Just can't be venerable. All venerable dreadnoughts are in the deathwing.

Just a quick question about dreadnaughts. Are they all from the death wing or could you have a green wing or ravenwing dread?

There is, for certainty, Deathwing and Greenwing dreadnoughts. The convention is to paint any Venerable Dreads in Deathwing Colors (and make them from the fancy Venerable Dread models).

Whether the Ravenwing have Dreadnoughts or not is a bit of a controversy. There appears to be no Dreadnoughts in 2nd Company noted on the Force Organization Chart, but a year back or so there was an article on the GW website on painting an all-black Dreadnought in Ravenwing colors because having one deep strike in a Droppod "fit" the Ravenwing's hit-and-run tactics. But the fluff doesn't support it. But the fluff should because why would you deny skilled veterans like the Ravenwing bikers the right to keep fighting for their chapter? But there's nothing on the chart. But... (and the controversy continues).

In response to the point about plasma preds, 1 does actually exist at the moment in the shape of the Executioner from Forgeworld. If you're brave enough to part with the best part of 50 sheets for it (UK price) and the possibility of agro from all of the forgeworld haters (who incidentally can do one for all I care, the Contemptor and Executioner models are far too good to worry about legality imo) that is

Archived