Inspiration. I need some.

captain sox

Hi everyone.

It`s been a crazy last few weeks, with blizzards, job interviews and holidays. I`ve kinda fallen out of my rhythym of painting, and I find it hard to get my painting mojo back. So I turn to you, wise folks of the B&C. What can I do to get back to painting, and back on the path to redemption

My vow this month isn`t huge, but I have only painted about 20% of it, and the month is almost over, and all seems lost.

can you help a brother out

First of all the month is not "almost" over - it's halfway there... Nothing that a couple of evenings of solid painting will not rectify.

A single miniature is often all it takes to regain your momentum. Think of other "alternative" things to do - like a Contemptor! Yes, it's a bit more expensive but it'll be enough to keep you occupied for a month and the final result would be very rewarding. I think Contemprors are excellent in their modelling as well as tabletop value! The offer poseability, large surfaces to paint personalised insignia and some killer weapon combinations. But before you "reward" yourself with one, firt you need to complete the November vow! :lol:

I like to throw on some music and wear headphones while I paint. Something really bass-y like drum and bass or dubstep or the like.

Really shut out the world and go to town with my brushes.

Then after I realize a few hours have passed ill make something to eat, have a smoke, watch a show or play a game for an hour or so and then get right back into it.

I like to throw on some music and wear headphones while I paint. Something really bass-y like drum and bass or dubstep or the like.

Really shut out the world and go to town with my brushes.

Then after I realize a few hours have passed ill make something to eat, have a smoke, watch a show or play a game for an hour or so and then get right back into it.

AngelVeto has the right idea...well,except for the smoke thing :lol: (with all our new found knowledge only foolish and weak people smoke nowadays)

anyways....get painting !!!!

mithril

I feel your pain.

I'm sick and tired of painting terminators in a rush for tournaments.

So... I popped a change to PA.

If this is not enough...pick up whatever model you feel like. It can be the odd 3rd edition ork you once got in an ebay deal, a non-40 modeling kit WWII vehicle or maybe just open up your bitz box and do some objective markers.

Basically, desintoxicate yourself from the pressure of performing and enjoy the hobby.

Trucking relentlessly is quite soul destroying...and this is something we do to enjoy our free time, right?

Go for it! Whatever you feel like! Just a quick and drity job: take a day off from your vow obligations :P

This can never be stressed enough,

Get together and paint with friends.

Unless they'd rather run their mouths about that one time they beat you months ago because of so and so reason while you're trying to assemble your minis, that can be demoralizing. :P

But yeah, Bro Nihm has an invaluable point.

Hi everyone.

It`s been a crazy last few weeks, with blizzards, job interviews and holidays. I`ve kinda fallen out of my rhythym of painting, and I find it hard to get my painting mojo back. So I turn to you, wise folks of the B&C. What can I do to get back to painting, and back on the path to redemption

My vow this month isn`t huge, but I have only painted about 20% of it, and the month is almost over, and all seems lost.

Every model you paint is a neophyte that has just earned his Black Carapace, or a Veteran finally elevated to the Deathwing, or a hero of the chapter; if we're going to cleanse the galaxy of the Fallen, the chapter needs such warriors. We're stubborn for a reason brother; we are Legion, and we will never give up.

Hi everyone.

Every model you paint is a neophyte that has just earned his Black Carapace, or a Veteran finally elevated to the Deathwing, or a hero of the chapter; if we're going to cleanse the galaxy of the Fallen, the chapter needs such warriors. We're stubborn for a reason brother; we are Legion, and we will never give up.

+1 .... Love it!

I prefer to put on a movie that i've seen a dozen times before, I will enjoy listening to it but wont necessarily have to WATCH it... Never had much luck with the "Denial" method, the new shiny usually gets started then the original squad/vow/tank gets left behind...

My playlist is

Kingdom of Heaven

V for Vendetta

Constantine

Band of Brothers

BSG

Firefly

Conan

LotR

Being in a long term painting comp does sap your mojo rather badly. And this time of year will do it too. (provided it isnt spring in your corner of the world) Get yourself a set of "daylight" bulbs for your painting area and see if that helps perk you up.

+1 to the movie in the background too.

Sometimes I don't feel like listening to music or whatever, so I will throw in a DVD and let it go, or watch some tv shows from netflix or something. it really does help

Oh, I couldn't imagine painting without something on TV.

Actually, I can. I bought all my dark angels stuff three years ago when I lived in a friend's house and out of respect for his property I relegated my painting to the garage just in case of any mess. I painted less than 20 models and stopped painting until a few months ago. I just couldn't take the isolation of painting in that garage for long hours.

Now that I have my own place, I've set up my painting station in the living room (carpet be damned) and I find painting so much more enjoyable now that I can "watch" TV while doing it.

Right now I've been watching Sliders on Netflix :)

Now that I have my own place, I've set up my painting station in the living room (carpet be damned) and I find painting so much more enjoyable now that I can "watch" TV while doing it.

Get yourself a Rolly chair carpet protector, then you will just have a ring around the protector when your cat "investigates" the brush water cups....

haha, well, fortunately I'm not really a pet person, so I don't need to worry about that. Also, I have a bottle of Resolve carpet spray on the coffee table just waiting for my cowboy quick-draw impression if something happens.

So far, I've only managed to spill 3/4ths of a pot of Delvan Mud, and nothing else. Knock on wood!

I'm a gamer and last year spent a whole bunch of time with Starcraft 2, and I've found that throwing up day9 dailies are a hilarious way to fill background noise and get rolling.

Also... play some games! Seeing all that unpainted plastic on the table is a good kick in the pants I've found.

Get together and paint with friends.

But what happens when you no friends? :rolleyes:

I feel the pain, though in a different way, as my entire love affair with the modelling side of the hobby has come to a complete stop so much so that I'm considering getting rid of everything and calling it quits - everything seems just like so much effort.

Maybe it's just time to take a break until your juices, creative or otherwise, are flowing again. Yeah, pushing against the tide can work for some people but it could also push you further away.

Firefly

It would seem that there are Browncoats everywhere! :wallbash:

I do something similar, preferably a dvd with a lot of episodes so I don't have to keep getting up.

A few Series I watch:

Firefly

Buffy

Dollhouse

Sledgehammer

Red Dwarf

Bottom Live :rolleyes:

Family Guy

Doctor Who

Star fleet

GITS: Stand alone complex 1st/2nd Gig

etc etc ^_^

I do something similar. I've either got battle reports playing in the background on youtube (love the banter batreps lol), or I have Ultramarines playing (We are Steel! We are Doom!). just helps me get that mood going.

...I've just scheduled myself in chamber 42 havent I?

Archived