Inspiration. I need some.

captain sox

never thought of podcasts. have any to recommend?

I also find that sometimes, you just need some good old fashioned fluffy death metal. When I start getting ready to call it quits I throw on some Bolt Thrower and grind it out for another album just to get that last one. as of next month tho most of my guys will be painted so I will be able to take more time with projects. no more 1600 point vows here!

I think that the most important factor, there is not to get stressed. After all we are into this hobby to relax and enjoy right? Thats one of the reasons I paint a single model at a time. Last time I tried batch painting I almost had a heart attack.

Dont consider that you have to paint to paint them. Think that you just want to paint them.

I do something similar. I've either got battle reports playing in the background on youtube (love the banter batreps lol), or I have Ultramarines playing (We are Steel! We are Doom!). just helps me get that mood going.

...I've just scheduled myself in chamber 42 havent I?

And I already have a blade of reason sharpened just for you. :)

Great topic, captain sox. I think we've all been where you are.

Dont consider that you have to paint to paint them. Think that you just want to paint them.

I wholeheartedly agree, Brother Immolator.

If you're making vows for the board, you won't find your modeling/painting enjoyable. If you're making vows for yourself to stay on track, it great motivation to move your army forward at your own pace.

One of my biggest stumbling blocks in the past was 'wanting a fully painted army' as opposed to 'wanting to fully paint an army'. Similar words, but a completely different concept. Once I changed them around, I've been making forward progress every month.

The other technique I use to get over the painting blues is to play. When you've got a couple unfinished guys battling amongst all your gloriously finished Unforgiven... it just doesn't seem right. The Lion is calling; finish those minis!

FC

Definitely don't make your hobby into work. Whenever people who don't play see my army they tell me they would never have the patience to paint up an army. I tell them that no patience is required if you enjoy the painting.

A nice marine tribute with the epicness oozing is also a good motivator I think.

As this thing is pretty much awesome I searched the lyrics and I found them with a translation. Here:

Savior Mine

Blessed God

Eternal One

Mysterious One, Death, Holy One go before us.

Hosana Meus

Fortuna Deus

Aeterna Teus

Mystre, Morte, Sancte Pior

Blessed Savior God

Legion as the hairs of my head

Blessed, blessed indeed

Are the warriors of truth

Fortuna hosana deus

Legionus ab comae

Fortune fortuna equis

Ad pugnatoris in veritae

Savior Mine

Blessed God,

Protected by your cause

Of holiness.Hossana meus

Fortuna dues

Protego causa

In sanctus

Eternal in the past

Enduring always (i.e. God that was and is and will be)

Coryphaeus (a Greek drama term meaning the leader of the choir)

Regal King of all

Aeternus praetor

Firmitas semper

Coryphaeus

Rex Regis univers

For your whole self, savior

Protecting your holy cause

Bright Father

Celebrate resurrection

(Pro se solis hosanna

Protego sanctus causa

Padre illuminata

Gloria in resurrectem)

Bright Father

Celebrate that day

(Pro se solis hosanna

Protego sanctus causa

Padre illuminata

Gloria in unum diem)

The land shadowed

The Earth evil,

Those who sow seeds of his travel

Why be guilty?

Terra tenebrae

Telluris malus,

Qui sere pere

Cur reatus.

Our Father ate the meat

Of our Lord,

Bright Father

Regal King of all.

Genitor edo

In ex domino,

Patris illuminata

Rex Regis universe.

Bright Father

Celebrate resurrection

(Pro se solis hosanna

Protego sanctus causa

Padre illuminata

Gloria in resurrectem)

Bright Father

Celebrate that day

(Pro se solis hosanna

Protego sanctus causa

Padre illuminata

Gloria in unum diem)

Tearful, Tearful,

Being away from our Lord

Lacrimosa, lacrimosa

In ex dominum

A nice marine tribute with the epicness oozing is also a good motivator I think.

As this thing is pretty much awesome I searched the lyrics and I found them with a translation.

I swear I see another DA Inquisitor PA. at 2:20 mark....

There's lots of good advice here. I find that playing 40k motivates me to paint more. I failed my October vow on the PtR because I had a game with my tyranid army and my painting table was swiftly overrun by xenos.

Some great ideas here :)

I normally put on a 40K audio book to motivate me to get that painting done. Or any of Terry Pratchetts Discworld series just for the laugh it causes although I don't recommend fits of giggling when trying to do fine detail :)

Also the great feedback you can receive from this forum helps to push me to do more :)

Well, if nothing else this topic has motivated me to work on some models. Nothing was painted, but I actually got a Command Squad (mostly) built and nearly completely kitbashed a Power armoured Librarian. Nothing Dark Angel related unfortunately ;) but hopefully I'll get around to actually painting my DA DIY successor sooner than later, so that can't be a bad thing :P

Need inspiration?

Click the playlist in my signature.

The first 25 minutes are quite evocative for marine armies.

As for Preliator, I got a slightly longer version of that (4:28) as soundtrack to a game I got (NecroVisioN).

Need inspiration?

Click the playlist in my signature.

The first 25 minutes are quite evocative for marine armies.

I'll check it out.

As for podcasts...I also use to listen to 40k radio, but honestly got tired of the constant disgressions regarding the participants.

A few are fun, but usually its just picking on each other...

I'd really like a podcast with news of the sector (as in wargames).

Gaming-wise, sure you might get an idea or two for list building...but that ain't gaming. And units are so "dependant" on the rest of the list, the opponent, the local currents...that seldomly you'll strike gold.

Paiting-wise, nothing beats good youtube tutorials (asesomepaintjob and buypainted are my favs, but you get lots of ideas from historical modeling, like this guys (somethingmedic, whatever) who does kickass conversions for historical vehicles).

So...usually just play national classical music or public radios: the one that usually are boring but since you only dedicate 10% of your attention, you sometimes pick up curious facts and so on.

My take :)

BTW, I just bought a cabinet...and only painted models are allowed in...fully, finished models. No WIP... thats a big motivator for me, because I only have fully properly painted like 1k out of 8 xDDDD

I changed my painting location. It was really that simple. I got hold of one of the GW paintstations, and put up a "daylight bulb" directional spotlight on a bookshelf above one of the sofas in our conservatory. Now I can sit in comfort, with a lamp shining right onto my minis, with the TV/radio on in the background (and because I'm in the conservatory I'm not interfering with the rest of the family)! It has become a pleasure to paint, so I don't actually need to motivate myself to paint, I actually want to! :)

As facman points out, Location, Location, Location. My desk is in the living room with the TV and family space and I often just go sit over there even if I am not in the mood. I find that just sitting over there makes me stare at my stuff and then the juices start flowing and I have painted or modeled something even tho I didnt feel like it....

Speaking of space.

KEEP IT CLEAR!

If when you feel like painting you have to start cleaning the mess of the previous time, then sort out your tools, then prepare the paints and water...boy is that a downer.

Far more owrth it takin 10-20 min to put everything away and neat so when you feel like slapping paint you can do so right away!

Me for example, I use the weekdays at night to do grunt work: basing, priming, filling and all that stuff that takes time but doesn't shine so much.

Then on the weekends, I can simply paint! B)

Archived