Unique tourney lists

Shaggy12009

I just found out that my FLGS is hosting a unique kind of tourney tomorrow. All they told me was...

-there's two missions and two deployments that people aren't playing very much

-build two 1000 point lists

-one list should be biased around heavy support, the other around fast attack

From this I can tell the missions will be "big guns never tire" and whatever the fast attack version is called. I can't remember the name right now, but you all know the one I mean. Also the deployment will be short board edge and diagonal. Here's what I came up with

Heavy support version

Dante

5x assault marines without jump packs

Standard land raider (the only version I own)

Storm raven with MM/plasma/hurricane bolters

Death company dred

3 death company with jump packs

Fast attack version

Dante

5x Assault squad/melta

5x Assault squad/melta

Baal/heavy bolters/storm bolter/dozer blade/light

Baal/heavy bolters/storm bolter/dozer blade/light

Storm raven with MM/plasma/hurricane bolters/light

I know we have some cron players but I don't know if they're playing cron air or even showing up. I also know that, with such a low point total, I probably won't see Death Stars or other schennagens. Beyond that, I'll leave it open from here. Have at it :D

Could be wrong, but i think you need 5 DC for a DC dread.

Also, have you considered going anti-mission?

Like, both big guns and scouring are about those respective units both claiming, but also giving away extra points.

Would you not consider going opposite? So, play the heavy one in the fast game, and vice versa - just make sure you have enough scoring, then go for the kills.

Well, remember that a SR can't score because it's too high up (at least that's how it is ruled in major tournaments around here). It is still downright unfair on 1k points though :huh:

I would go for way more scoring bodies. In your first list, your opponent has to kill 5 guys and you can't win unless you table him. In the second list its only 10 bodies.

Personally, I would forget about Dante and just put in 20 ASM with a priest and a librarian, it's a lot more solid. But maybe your lists also work out, just give it a try :) The furioso in the SR is a nice touch, just pray it turns up early enough.

Quick update. I wound up walking from table 1 in the last round. I was supposed to play a necron list using "the relic" mission. Before the game began, he argued that his cryptek may use his war gear to teleport onto the relic and next turn teleport anywhere else on the board. He decided this since teleporting uses the deep strike rules, it is moving but the distance moved has no value and thus fills the less than 6" requirement. He also argued my embarked furioso counted against my reserve limit, even though I had the FAQ right in front of him. He said since the example given is a dedicated transport, this ruling only applies to dedicated transports, not storm ravens. He later argued his cryptek may use the teleport ability even if he is in reserve to deep strike in on turn one. As always, the devil is in the wordings and since the TO was unable to definitively rule one way or another the debate began. My opponent even went so far to say he'd play either way if the TO could prove one way or the other to him. That means he was arguing for the sake of arguing, while I just wanted to throw some dice without getting screwed before the game began. After 45 minutes of not even having a model on the table, I said "forget it, I refuse to play you" and walked. The good news was he was not awarded any prize. In fact, only the 3rd place finisher got anything. The TO did finally rule in my favor on all counts after over an hour of much heated debate that didn't involve either of us, but the damage is done.

Also, the FAQ is so clear, hed be a complete idiot to argue any other way:

"Do units that are transported in a vehicle that MUST start in reserve count towards the number of units that can be placed in reserve?

No."

The fact that there is an example that cites a dedicated transport (and also a Valkyrie -a non dedicated unit) is inconsequential. Monkey.

Also, regarding the deepstriking, I would have let him deepstrike, but demanded that he doesnt deepstrike more than 6" away from his starting position as per the rules. Gamey tool as far as im concerned.

Apparently we now have carry dictionaries with us along with FAQs, rulebooks and army lists to show powergamers the correct use of words like "example". Sorry to hear that idiot ruined your gaming day dude. :P

Sad thing is that the example has both non-dedicated and dedicated options in it :D

The TO agreed with that immediately, but that's not how it's written. RAW is if the "model" carrying the relic moves over 6", not the relic itself. The model is deep striking, so while the relic changed from position a to position b, the model carrying it did move, but the movement is not measured out and thus has no value. We even had English language majors arguing for and against based on the exact words used and not used. It was a great night for rules lawyers everywhere.

I don't understand why the TO didn't rule the obvious RAI and give him a warning for delay of game?

Oh, on a side note, my fast list absolutely shredded a foot based chaos guy. It came down to his basic HQ whatever guy with a jump pack charging Dante and 1 marine. He needed a 6 but rolled a 4 and a 1. He re-rolled the 1 and got another 1! Took my overwatch shot with Dante's melta pistol, hit, wounded, failed his invul, instant death, end of game! Awesome!!!!

Do not agree with the 'model' ruling, otherwise why put the part in about transport, the transport would be the model moving, not the model carrying the relic. I was also on the other end of a relic ruling, it was ruled bikers were allowed to turbo boost with the relic as it doesnt say they cannot, even though it states the relic is fragile so no one can run with it but bikers are allowed to turbo boost 6inches with it (it was on the first turn as well!). Lost me the game as then the relic was behind a aegis with 100 plus boys!

Archived