Sternguard squad option

War Angel

I'm getting ready to build a sternguard squad for a thousand point game, and I don't want to have to build an entire new squad when I increase the points value and add more marines. So I thought I would out fit them as such

4 combi meltas

2 heavy flamers

Sgt with power fist

3 bolter marines

I feel there's a few different options here in game play, if I take the entire unit, I can combat squad the sgt and meltas to go get some tanks, while the flamers take out infantry. I can pod them to do the same thing. If I don't take a full squad I can take a minimum of two special weapons to save points, even dropping the power fist on the Sgt by having another marine lead the squad.

What are you're thoughts

The only thing I don't like about that unit is numbers. There's too many points in it if it's going to be footslogging or taking a Rhino, it'd be better being at 8 then.

However, if you plan to Pod (which you have mentioned), it's a great build, as it's incredibly versatile. With that build you can have all melta in one and flamers in another for focus, or half them right down the middle etc.

All in all though, those are the Sternguard models I've made up, and while I don't always use them at the same time, it's nice to have those options.

I'm all about the drop pod on the sternguard. Or taking a minimum unit with a razorback if you're looking for the AV 11 wall with long range supremacy build.

Personally, i've used a unit of 10 maxed on combi weapons or heavy flamers, but they seem to die the same. I've been having much more success using:

Stern Guard (6), 6x Combi- Meltas, Pod - 215pts.

The squad is pretty darn cheap as a suicide squad, which its not as i play bikes and ally in 2 squads of podding grey hunters, but its main priority is to pop THAT tank. Whether its the Manticore, Basilisk, Medusae, or Land Raider brimming with terminators, i want that tank dead, its going to die. Plus the combi meltas help pull wounds off things like trygons and tervigons, or do some other mayhem (bastion anyone?)

They're also my dedicated aegis defense line gun taking squad. Which is why i almost wish i had the points for some heavy flamers but i can't have it all!

One option you may want to look at it running 10 in a pod with 5 combi-meltas and 2 heavy flamers. When they come in they combat squad, the combis take out a tank (hopefully an expensive transport), then the heavy flamers and remaining bolters deal some significant damage to infantry (whoever was inside the transport). It comes in at 205 points total and is extremely versatile.

I strongly suggest not taking a power fist for a sternguard sergeant. It'll most likely be taken out by shooting, or in a challenge before it can swing.

It comes in at 205 points total and is extremely versatile.

Don't wanna nitpick, but your math is way off, sir. For the set-up you suggest for Sternguard, the point total is 330. Much Higher! That gives you 10 men in a pod with 5 Combi-Meltas and 2 Heavy Flamers.

Just getting facts straight :tu:

Archived