New DA artwork

Spaced Hulk

As nice as these are, there is something slightly amateurish about the images. I don't mean that to offend anyone, but they look more like good fan-pics than official stuff. A bit too cartoony and not grimdark enough for my liking.

Al

As nice as these are, there is something slightly amateurish about the images. I don't mean that to offend anyone, but they look more like good fan-pics than official stuff. A bit too cartoony and not grimdark enough for my liking.

Al

True to some extent but that style is from a well known artist working for GW. <_<

I liked the scout, the other renditions were so-so.. Not enough green on the armour!

And I do hope the guy with all the chains isn't a repenting Fallen...

Not enough green on the armour!

Looks like the first ret-con of the new codex is the colour of the armour...

Snorri

You assume they are modern Dark Angels but look at the spikes, near black armor, poorly kept armor and not an aquila in sight. Who says they aren't fallen?

Interesting artwork, very characterful. Maybe they aren't the Fallen but a unit like the Legion of the Damned -- time-warped somehow, on the periphery, but loyal.

Cheers

I

I think Kurgan has a point... Starting with the Cypher lookalike and the consistent patterns of black armor, sealed doors (truths to be unlocked? actual gateways into alien dimensions) and one marine bearing armor covered in writings of some sort (didn't Luther do something similar), these look a lot like Fallen.

Here's to hoping they don't get a 'dex for themselves while we're stuck with the old experiment one... <_<

Interesting artwork, very characterful. Maybe they aren't the Fallen but a unit like the Legion of the Damned -- time-warped somehow, on the periphery, but loyal.

Cheers

I

I thought you disliked excessively "out there" things. :wink:

Now lets see. First looks like Cypher with a pimpin cape and a poor excuse for a bolt pistol. Blueish armor?

Second looks like a scout sergeant but... something is amiss.

Third looks like a renegade libby. The rest got me confused.

Scratch that, all of them make me confused. They do certainly look like fallen. But the coloring in not quite fallen, neither quite DA enough.

I wouldnt not be so quick to discard them as fan artwork for two reasons.

First the artwork depicting the factions in the 5th rulebook was far worse than those.

And second I have been in the transition between DND 2nd edition and 3+. And the artwork on certain books was...questionable to say the least. So sometimes artists or their styles change.

The last one gets my vote for best overall, but I am not thrilled, they leave me with a lukewarm feeling.

Here's to hoping they don't get a 'dex for themselves while we're stuck with the old experiment one... :huh:

Honestly I wouldn't mind, but Id prefer a supplement in a wd to be honest. Not too much sense (market wise) to base a whole army on that theme.

Here's to hoping they don't get a 'dex for themselves while we're stuck with the old experiment one... :huh:

Honestly I wouldn't mind, but Id prefer a supplement in a wd to be honest. Not too much sense (market wise) to base a whole army on that theme.

Are you considering jumping ship, frater? I think we had a similar discussion a short while back.... We never did go for that tea in cell 42 did we..?

Ahem.

I actually think people would make Fallen armies if the rules were juicy (i.e. BORKENOHPEE) enough. Think of it this way: how many people played GKs before? How many people played -Necrons- before? And those two had less of a fanbase in the woodworks unlike Cypher and his merry bunch of fratricidal backstabbing traitorous sons of snakes who deserve naught but ETERNAL TORTURE- ahem, sorry got carried away. ^_^

Countering this, of course, would be their absence in the allies chart, which in turn can be mitigated with a 'dex entry. More likely we'd be seeing a WD supplement as you said though.

If they become "good guys" tho.... I'm sending my cat's litter to GW's address for a whole month. :)

Are you considering jumping ship, frater? I think we had a similar discussion a short while back.... We never did go for that tea in cell 42 did we..?

Nah, If I wanted to go there, I would go the whole distance with chaos marines. Misguided fools is not my cup of tea. Thats why I chose DA. They know where they stand.

I wouldn't mind seen a dex or a wd supplement providing rules for them since I am sure some of the most creative members of the hobby would jump at the opportunity to model something awesome and give us something good to train our sights at.

A couple things I noticed are that on the first marine e has a sword on his back. You can only see the handle showing from the top right. In my mind this can only be Cypher. The second thing I notice is on the marine with the sword and plasma pistol in the air. He has the word betray on his chest. The line though says morbidax betray. I tried but couldn't source morbidax so it might just be a name. regardless, I think these are either Fallen or the Death Shadows chaos marines as the armor on all of them likes a little more blue grey to me.

Just my two cents.

They're clearly colourised versions of the DA concept art that was leaked a few years back before the 4E 'dex was released, done specifically for this new artbook. In fact, I'm pretty sure I still have the original uncoloured versions somewhere.

Surely I'm not the only one to have noticed that... <_<

Morbida in italian means, soft/tender/mellow according to wikipedia. Too slaaneshi.

Good catch though, I searched for the sword on the first but didnt see the handle till you mentioned it.

EDIT: Just noticed the key on Cypher. Could this be a metaphor that he is the key to the salvation of the fallen?

It's the DA Libby of Jacob Marley from a Christmas Carol! lqtm

I think I wanna try that one out for my next Libby Conversion. Decked out all in chains. ;) Plus I do have a bunch of the Servo Skulls from Devastator Boxes

I also like the YE OLDE TIME guns on the first ones Belt/chest. Makes me think "Wanted"

Not impressed with this. Hopefully, it's Heresy era stuff, and not in the new dex.

Yeah. I've really not been impressed by most of the art I've been seeing out of GW in the last few years. I really dislike at least 50% of what's in our dex, too... this stuff is... okay. But it's not great. At least it's not ridiculously comic and flat, but there are definite depth and proportion issues, some ridiculous proportion ones at that.. straight lines that aren't straight... nothing is actually green...

>.>

Are those black pearls on the scouts sniper rifle strap?

The chest plate on the one marine also says illuminatos on the bottom.

Not digging the blue grey/gun metal armour if there fallen.

If there a new chapter I like that colour.

The key the position or rank of cypher was to keep the orders traditions and history maybe that,s what the key stands for.

The work is pretty obviously that of John Blanche which appears in almost all of GW's art books and rulebooks. I've never been a fan of his style. I much prefer almost anything that's been put on a black library book cover or in dark heresy/deathwatch/rogue trader/etc.

Compare those to something more like this or this.

I like the more realistic styles better. Here is another good example if you could imagine the armour green with a DA symbol on the shoulder.

I'm pretty confident in saying it's definitely not Blanche... Blanche's style is much looser generally, but he can actually draw things proportionately correctly and in proper perspective when he wants to:

http://www1.bp.blogspot.com/-qCYsBPMt6lQ/T...%20Imperium.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011...ohn_Blanche.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/...n%20Blanche.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NSazdVzy5aQ/TyMz...leet_gothic.jpg

edit; though the facing page of the first image looks like Blanche's primarch stuff. The rest of the marines feel a lot like something/someone else, but I don't know who and I can't remember which images I'm thinking of.

Al

I've seen these images in a gw book at my local store when it was shipped in. It's a big hardcover, like imperial armor book. But that was 2 weeks ago.

And +1 for the fallen!

Usual mix for GW artwork - with some notable exceptions - great concepts and overall effect let down by poor proportions and occasional messy fine detail.

Definitely official - as noted in the source thread, it's from the Black Library artbook "The Emperor's Might" which is a collection of art showing the Space Marines. There have been previous volumes dedicated to the other servants of the Imperium.

First guy is definitely Cypher to my mind - double pistols, carrying a sword, skeleton-angel design on his leg. I think the chap with writing all over his armour is also one of the Fallen, as is potentially the melta gunner.

Doubt this tell us anything about the new Codex however, or the place of Cypher and the Fallen therein. I'd like it if the Fallen were in the new 'dex in the style they were in 2nd Ed - as a set of adjusted rules tacked on to the main list. Give them some force restrictions, balance that by letting them ally with Chaos Daemons and Chaos Marines, and you could do a great Fallen list pretty easily.

Archived