The Works of the Mighty Magnefjord - New Artwork 30/09/2014

magnefjord

A striking piece, solid work, and a lot of time spent. Good attention to detail.

My constructive critique if I may... The contrast between the armour is to great. You can have even black in the shutlines if you like but it will take a lot of work to make it look correct. The overall colour is nice. If you are happy with it then that's what counts. However look at the Terminator's right hand (on the ass cannon) it looks as though you have opted to ink shade the small detail for speed, but look at this beautiful subtle shading. This is an example of how subtlety can still provide a great contract and striking piece. If you mix a medium brown with a dark grey and accurately wash this into the darkest area you could lower the contrast and create a more natural look.

None the less a great model the way it is and certainly a paint job that will stand out from a far in the gaming area as well. Keep it up!

An example of my meaning of more subtle contrast:

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq11/Andrew_K2008/40k/termintor_ass_01_zpscca5f928.jpg

Thanks all for your comments, makes me really glad to hear that you like it soo much, I really appreciate it <_< Thankyou once again

A striking piece, solid work, and a lot of time spent. Good attention to detail.

My constructive critique if I may... The contrast between the armour is to great. You can have even black in the shutlines if you like but it will take a lot of work to make it look correct. The overall colour is nice. If you are happy with it then that's what counts. However look at the Terminator's right hand (on the ass cannon) it looks as though you have opted to ink shade the small detail for speed, but look at this beautiful subtle shading. This is an example of how subtlety can still provide a great contract and striking piece. If you mix a medium brown with a dark grey and accurately wash this into the darkest area you could lower the contrast and create a more natural look.

None the less a great model the way it is and certainly a paint job that will stand out from a far in the gaming area as well. Keep it up!

An example of my meaning of more subtle contrast:

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq11/Andrew_K2008/40k/termintor_ass_01_zpscca5f928.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind and maybe try it out on some future figurine, but the shutlines are not in black, it's just dark brown, I painted it in bleached bone first, then heavy wash with devlan mud befor bleached bone again, I'm pretty happy with the result and it's probably one of my best figurines so far. But as it's my first try at Deathwing I really appreciate any critique I get so thankyou for your tip ;)

great Stuff,

Brother caliban has some merit...up close the contrast and highlights look really stark...BUT im going to say that 100% if you looked at this model from 12" to 24" away on the tabletop then its going to hit the spot exactly for looks :tu: and isnt that what were aiming for ? looking perfect on the table....

cheers Mithril

great Stuff,

Brother caliban has some merit...up close the contrast and highlights look really stark...BUT im going to say that 100% if you looked at this model from 12" to 24" away on the tabletop then its going to hit the spot exactly for looks :D and isnt that what were aiming for ? looking perfect on the table....

cheers Mithril

Thanks Mithril, I'm glad you like it, and I'll think of that in the future :P

He looks good! I think with a little bit of practice and fine tuning you have yourself a winner! :P

I like what I assume was attempt to do a Patina effect on the gun barrel. It needs some work, but it's a good start.

Not to hijack your thread, but here's my own version of this guy. Hopefully it inspires you to finish the unit!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/315559

I love the white colour scheme you gave it, but to it doesn't have that bone feeling to it as they describe the Deathwing company. But screw it, unique is what we all should strive for, great job ;), can't wait to see more of those Dark Angels being painted!

Thankyou very much, and it's not really white, it's painted in bleached bone, and high lighted with skull white. It's the damn camera that make things look brighter than they are. And there will be more Dark Angels coming up at some point, unfortunally I'm a very slow painter, only this one took me 3 days to make. But thankyou once again for your comment :cuss

He looks good! I think with a little bit of practice and fine tuning you have yourself a winner! ;)

I like what I assume was attempt to do a Patina effect on the gun barrel. It needs some work, but it's a good start.

Not to hijack your thread, but here's my own version of this guy. Hopefully it inspires you to finish the unit!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/315559

Thanks for the picture, and it's an amazing figurine, and I know I need to practise on alot of things on this one, it's my first try ever on "bone" colored armor, such as the Deathwing, and the Patina effect too, I've never tried it befor, just thought I'd try it on this one for fun :) And I'll finish the unit at some point, but as I said I'm a very very slow painter so that might take a while. But thatnkyou soo much for your comment! Merry christmas on you :D

For your first DW model, I like it a lot! Very good color control and nice neat lines.

The discoloring around the muzzles could perhaps be augmented further with washes of black, brown and purple. An idea could be to look at real life images of heated metal discoloration.

Good job - let's see some more!

/vadskær

Great looking model.

I thin kthat the eye lenses do not contrast enough with the armour They both seem to be highlighted with white/vream, so they kind of merge together. Id maybe darken the lenses slightly, or put a dark wash around them to make them stand out.

Nice discolouration of the barrels. It does end a little too abruptly, though, maybe a very thin wash of blue a little further down the barrel, and add more colours (a puple or mud wash would work, with black at the very end, as per Vad above) The pruple would also tie in nicely with the eye lenses for a very warm figure.

For your first DW model, I like it a lot! Very good color control and nice neat lines.

The discoloring around the muzzles could perhaps be augmented further with washes of black, brown and purple. An idea could be to look at real life images of heated metal discoloration.

Good job - let's see some more!

/vadskær

Thanks for the tip, this was just an idea I had when I made the model, and I've never tried anything like it befor, but thanks again and I'll think about that the next time I give it a try.

And i have pictures up in the Hall of Fame of my newest creation, a Grey knight terminator.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the white colour scheme you gave it, but to it doesn't have that bone feeling to it as they describe the Deathwing company. But screw it, unique is what we all should strive for, great job biggrin.gif, can't wait to see more of those Dark Angels being painted!

It is actually in bone color, the armor is painted in beached bone, and is highlighted with skull white, it's the flash from the camera that makes everything seem brighter than they are. But thankyou for your comment

• 8 months later...

Archived