Warhammer 40k Medical Symbols - Cast your vote

Headologist

A

Any of the bottom except 1 and 5 because 1 is about to eat itself and 5 is a mutant with a head at each end.

I had to look this up but the caduceus (two serpents wrapped around a stick with or without wings) is not the symbol of medicine, it's the symbol of trade. It's used in the USA as a symbol of medicine though. The actual symbol of medicine is the Rod of Asclepius (God of healing) which is a single serpent around a stick and no wings. Non-poisonous snakes were one of Asclepius' symbols and actual snakes were kept in his temples.

The caduceus does fit in nicely with the double helix symbol, something that was unknown to the ancients.

Thanks very much TennisBall, I am very much aware of that. As well as being a mercantile symbol, it also has connotations of scheming and cunning - hence why the Delaque badge is very similar imo.

I decide to utilise the Caduceus (in addition to the Rod of Ascelpius, and Bowl of Hygieia) for several reasons:

1. As you say, it mirrors the double helix nicely. It has connotations of the helix utilisied by the Marine Apothecaries.

2. Games Workshop (erroneously) continued it's use into the 41st Millennium themselves, beyond the US Army use (although it's now used much more widely than the US army and I'm more interest in perception and association/regonition rather than strict accuracy). Whislt the caduceus shouldn't be a medical symbol today, in reality, it is.

3. I assume it's usage in the future is not actually as the Caduceus or the Rod of Asclepius, but has its own origin story/myth (which I've yet to make up).

Hope this covers my reasoning (and doesn't sound arsey, it's not meant to in the slightest), I never produce any of my stuff lightly ;)

Thanks chaps, as a bonus, here is how a Imperial Guard medic's brassard might look with symbol A....

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/325/c/3/40k_imperial_guard_medic_brassard_armband_mock_up_by_light_tricks-d5loiyi.jpg

Archived