Heldrake alternative

Tzimisce169

I like the idea of the Heldrake but I really don't like the model.

Do you think I could get away with using a converted Warhammer dragon as an alternative?

Fire breathing daemon beast? yup that works for me.

Fire breathing daemon robot ex-aeroplane :D - nope, that just sounds stupid

Would you play against someone who fielded a converted dragon?

Thoughts?

I think almost everyone you run into will play against you. However, if you haven't seen the model in person, you might change your mind. I really disliked the heldrake model until I saw it in front of me. The photos have a strange way of making the model seem flat and not very interesting, and causes the model in turn to not lend itself to CSM well. In person it is far better.

I think I read somewhere that some inspiration for the Heldrake model came from the FW Hell Blade and Hell Talon models on forge world, with the artist thinking along the lines of "what would happen if the pilot morphed with the machine due to warp exposure, etc, etc". An interesting concept and I also find my self not really liking the model. While more expensive for sure, I would probably just use the GW flyer base and use the Hell Blade.

I wouldn't mind playing against a converted dragon at all though.

I currently have a W.I.P Heldrake basically made from the Warhammer Vampire Counts zombie dragon with lots of technological bits and armour strapped to it. Looks great, works a treat; carries the right air of menace, and is a little more fleshy, just how I like my Daemon Engines.

I think almost everyone you run into will play against you. However, if you haven't seen the model in person, you might change your mind. I really disliked the heldrake model until I saw it in front of me. The photos have a strange way of making the model seem flat and not very interesting, and causes the model in turn to not lend itself to CSM well. In person it is far better.

How does the Heldrake compare in size the the Hell Blade fighter from Forgeworld? I had the opposite reaction from Tzimisce169 to the Heldrake pics. It's not that it isn't dragony enough, it's too dragony! And with the price gap so small, I'd rather have the jet. Anybody found a good side by side pic?

It would in no way be in line with the fluff. The new fluff is the demon technology CSM has access to, amongst them is a flyer that has been mutated by a deamon inspired by humanity's old nightmares of these giant, flying, firebreathing monsters. You could convert the model to make it look good this is what I'm talking about! A fantasy Dragon wouldn't really be the same to me and it would look extreemly out of place imo.

It would in no way be in line with the fluff. The new fluff is the demon technology CSM has access to, amongst them is a flyer that has been mutated by a deamon inspired by humanity's old nightmares of these giant, flying, firebreathing monsters. You could convert the model to make it look good this is what I'm talking about! A fantasy Dragon wouldn't really be the same to me and it would look extreemly out of place imo.

The point of daemon engines is that they can be anything; there are no laws or restrictions within the Eye of Terror limiting their nature or construction. Though there is specific background for specific daemon engines provided within the Chaos Codex and other sources, there is absolutely nothing whatsoever preventing players from simply using the specific daemon engines as templates or archetypes from which to extrapolate something of their own creation. Given the nature of Chaos and the Warp; that it a state in which metaphor, human fear and fantasy might be manifested in flesh, the notion of something draconic in appearance is no more or less absurd than something that looks overtly or classically daemonic, such as the Bloodthirster or Bloodletters.

I currently have a W.I.P Heldrake basically made from the Warhammer Vampire Counts zombie dragon with lots of technological bits and armour strapped to it. Looks great, works a treat; carries the right air of menace, and is a little more fleshy, just how I like my Daemon Engines.

You and me both! I am on the fence about how much technology I want on it, but I have a reposed Zombie Dragon on a large flying base in progress as a Nurgley Helldrake myself.

Is there any WiP photos of this one? I'm dying to make one myself!

When I found out that Chaos was going to have a "Flying dragon" in the new Codex I started looking around and seeing about converting something crazy. When I saw what they meant by "flying dragon" I didn't change my mind.

I still want to take a Chaos Fantasy Manticore, with the Chaos Lord on top, do some converstions to the Chaos Lord, create a flying base for it that works and call that my Hell Drake. It'll go along with my Nob Bikers who are actually riding the Fantasy Raptor models.

Archived