hovering flyers =/= flyers?

angry man

just a quick query.

i played a game today, during which my vendetta faced the option to either do nothing for a turn, or hover and pivot to find a valid target. since my opponent didnt have much left to threaten a vehicle of any description, i opted for the hover.

one thing he did have left though, was a zooming stormtalon -- so basically, is a hovering flyer capable of firing at a zooming flyer with its full ballistic skill??

im not with my BRB at the moment, so am not in a position to post BRB quotes, but will make an effort to post up bits i think are relevant later on (i think its all within the 'Flyers section). any input would be appreciated

AM

is a hovering flyer capable of firing at a zooming flyer with its full ballistic skill??

In short, yes.

page 81, special rules. You can choose to use, or not use, the USR Skyfire at the beginning of each shooting phase. Zooming or Hovering doesn't matter, just need to be a flyer.

What the hell???

The FAQ completely contradicts the rules written in the book! AND its a FAQ not an Errata, but GW doesn't know the difference anyhow. Well the rulebook says yes but the 6th page of the FAQ does say NO 0.o

GW....facepalm

What the hell???

The FAQ completely contradicts the rules written in the book! AND its a FAQ not an Errata, but GW doesn't know the difference anyhow. Well the rulebook says yes but the 6th page of the FAQ does say NO 0.o

GW....facepalm

Red Fury - i thought that too, but on page 81, the box in the bottom right says:

"If a flyer is treated hovering, it is treated as a Fast Skimmer"

So, for me, a non-zooming flyer = a skimmer. (silly as it may be)

What the hell???

GW....facepalm

Red Fury - i thought that too, but on page 81, the box in the bottom right says:

"If a flyer is treated hovering, it is treated as a Fast Skimmer"

I'm not sure it actually makes any difference though as the Skyfire rule says:

A model with this special rule, or that is firing a weapon with this special rule, fires using its normal Ballistic Skill when shooting at Flyers, Flying Monstrous

Creatures and Skimmers.

EDIT - Not sure this is actually relevant as I misread the query but will leave it here just in case.

It's the "Skimmer" shooting, not being shot at :D

Example:

My Heldrake, with cannons, is a Flyer and is Zooming. It can fire at any other Flyer at full BS, because it automatically has Skyfire. But when I switch to Hover mode, it stops being a Flyer and becomes a Fast Skimmer. As such, it does not have the automatic Skyfire and hits Zooming flyers and Swooping FMCs on "6".

If I'm in Hover-Fast Skimmer mode though and another Flyer goes Hover or a FMC goes Gliding instead, we hit each other on full BS, as normal. Neither of us is a Flyer, so neither needs Skyfire.

:)

"If a flyer is hovering, it is treated exactly as a Fast Skimmer"

But when I switch to Hover mode, it stops being a Flyer and becomes a Fast Skimmer

So when is a flyer not a flyer? When it is hovering. It's a fast skimmer and skimmers don't have skyfire.

Got it.

"If a flyer is hovering, it is treated exactly as a Fast Skimmer"

But when I switch to Hover mode, it stops being a Flyer and becomes a Fast Skimmer

So when is a flyer not a flyer? When it is hovering. It's a fast skimmer and skimmers don't have skyfire.

Got it.

ironically, skimmers are also unable to turn themselves into flyers and 'zoom'...

AM

One thing I've been thinking about is that since hovering turns you into a fast skimmer, I suppose that also means that you can Jink without having to fire snapshots, after all "normal" fast skimmers such as Land Speeders can as well?

Not that that'd really offset being so easily hit.

Archived