Flesh Tearers WIP

Ratboy1664

gallery_23169_7223_784491.jpggallery_23169_7223_657329.jpggallery_23169_7223_927275.jpg

I am trying for two effects (1) "Grimdark" and (2) practicality i.e. no giant banners on commanders shouting shoot me

Please leave C+C as I really want to improve as a painter and some guidance would be appreciated.

Much love

A little bit of edge highlighting would lift things as it looks a touch flat right now, might just be the pictures, how much time you put into this depends on whether you are looking for a tabletop ready army or a display mini but you've made a good start :D

I don't play 40k I just like painting and modelling but I am worried that if I edge highlight I will lose the "gritty combat" look I am going for which is why the entire model was washed with badab black and not just the recesses. Weathering and battle damage are bridges to be crossed later, but I would like a decent base model to work from. Is the colour scheme right or have I missed something fluffy?

Much love x

The scheme is spot on and as long as you have got decent shading you can get away with not having edge highlights ^_^, but like I said, the only thing which stands out to me is the recess above the knees which looks like it could do with a bit of shading.

I don't blame you on the weathering and battle damage front, I'm only just tentatively tiptoeing across that bridge :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while but I have not been idle -_-

I am going to make a small (think cd case) sized diarama of my Flesh Tearers going beserk at Gaius Point during the 3rd war for Armageddon where after assaulting the orks they carried on and butchered the local milita.

I have acquired some excellent casualties from Pig Iron which are a bit smaller than GW's marines and so make the astartes look true scale sized without any modeling hassel at all, and in another forum have had some great suggestions for a sulphur coloured landscape.

My question is which of the following poses looks cooler, A) The marine throwing his head back screaming at the sky Predator style surrounded by corpses or :) A conversion of Seth running along the defensive position leaving bodies in his wake.

Much Love

gallery_23169_7223_651966.jpg

gallery_23169_7223_330090.jpg

seems that the jury is in and a conversion of Seth (who is trying to curb these kinds of things within his chapter so it can't be him) rampaging along the defensive line is the winner. Now I can write my letter to Santa and cross my fingers that I have been good enough to deserve a present!

Next up on the wip will be questions about how to pose the diarama and a few test examples of me attempting to weather battle damage and a yellow sulpuric dust on some test minis. Please chip in with your c+c because whilst all final decisions will be mine, you may provoke a chain of thought that makes me see something which on my own I would have missed or not considered.

Much love

x

• 2 weeks later...

I have my first Flesh Tearer up and running (literally) and whilst I am am generally happy with the dirty look, especially on the yellow, I am wondering whether or not to highlight the armour? What are your thoughts?

Apologies for the terrible picture quality

Much love

gallery_23169_7223_1232456.jpg

gallery_23169_7223_216956.jpg

gallery_23169_7223_293025.jpg

The armour looks better now with the edge highlights. You should remove the flash from the boltgun. This is very important. It doesn't matter how good a mini is painted, flash ruins everything.

Also, your first pic was much better, the last are to bright.

Best regards

Archived