Question for Lamenters' Players

Nicodemus Doloroso

As the topic/topic description says, I'm interested to hear from Lamenter players how you paint the black/white checkerboard pattern on your shoulderpads.

I've decided to link my Angels Sorrowful's heraldry more closely to their Lamenter progenitors by giving them a chequy left shoulder pad as the lamenters have (otherwise, they're purple marines, and no bleeding heart symbol, either). It seems to me that doing a grid in black on a white base and then filling it in accordingly won't work, because then the black squares will be bigger than the white ones. Do you just free-hand each individual square?

Do you do any layering, or just go pure white and black? If you do layering, when do you do it? I was thinking of layering the white as normal then painting the black squares on top ...

I've had success with the following:

1) Base shoulder white

2) Pencil in Squares (must accommodate for rounded surface obviously)

3) Use micron-pen to go over stencil lines

4) Use the micron-pen to color in black squares

Since you're doing different colors I would advise choosing your lighter color as the shoulder base and buying a micron-pen in your darker color

Thank you both. Actually, even though my successor chapter is purple, their shoulder pads are white/black chequy.

I tried the technique of drawing the lines first in pencil, then painted them with a fine brush (since I didn't have a pen like you describe) and it turned out quite well. Thanks for the tips.

Archived