First of Evidence of Fallen after Calibans destruction

Harleqvin

To my knowledge it's never been described and I'd never really thought about it. My best guess is that the loyalist librarians just knew. "The Warp did it and some psykers had a vision" explains a lot of the 40k universe.

Psykers having a vision is plausible. All I can seem to find is that it was stated they all thought the traitors died because of the Warp Rift until somehow they found out they were out there...

I don't think Luther would have told them. Unless somehow he knew the Warp Rift wasn't destruction. With what is told about that instance it would seem that he did not know what the rift was meant for, seeing how the Chaos Powers made the rift because they lost another one, meaning Luther.

Watchers seem plausible, too.

A little fetched. ;) He knows that the Watchers took El'Jonson. I am just saying I wouldn't think it that likely is all that he would have known that the rift sent the traitors through time and space.

It's an intriguing question and one I've pondered from time to time. There are a lot of things we don't know, but consider this:

Why did the Dark Angels change from black to green armour? Was it expunge their guilt or was it to distinguish themselves from the Fallen once they became aware of them? Or was it guilt and an attempt to distance themselves, effectively saying that they would start a new chapter in their history to atone for what went before?

I suspect that the realisation of the existence of the Fallen and the change in armour colour are probably connected. Interestingly, the Ravenwing and Deathwing both wore black initially. Perhaps they were looking to lull the Fallen into a false sense of security or perhaps the colour denoted the fact that they needed to remember what had happened.

As far as the color change, I always assumed it was because of the destruction of Caliban. In the two Horus Heresy books, the Imperial army forces from Caliban, as well as the shoulder pads of at least a few Dark Angels, are painted deep green to remind them of the forests of their home. With the home they fought for destroyed, it's possible that they repainted their armor to reflect that loss and remember where they came from. Similar to the tradition that spawned bone white Death Wings. Also the raven's motif of Raven Wing being a hold over from the Order.

That is a very likely reason for the green armor after the destruction of Caliban.

One thing I thought interesting though was the clawed wing holding a sword was the icon for the Raven's Wing and that was a white icon with a blue backing, in The Call of the Lion. I need to read that short story more thoroughly when I get a copy. I am thinking of buying it as an ebook as I don't know if I want any of the other stories in that compilation. I really do hope they eventually reveal how the DA first found that the traitor DA were still out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived