Quod videre non possum...

Rogan

...arma mea possunt.

This - or something very much akin to that - will be my "shiny" new Nurgle lord's personal motto.

He's not finished yet, as you might have guessed, and will have his base in a few days; a deadly and yet life-birthing swamp. Also, I'll take some (hopefully) much better pictures on saturday.

I wanted a very calm pose and, if possible, an air of tranquility for him; he's supposed to look like he's experienced everything at least once (including death itself) and regards the battlefield - or maybe a rotten piece of nature or landscape - with the wisdom of ages (aeons?). Bringing death is his destiny; seeing (new) life flourish his joy.

He's not a tragic character, because he enjoys both. I want him to be a benevolent and grandfatherly fatalist.

"Do not defy death - mors certa, hora incerta".

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7204/deathguardlordwip750px.jpg

Hope you like him and that the amount of converting and gs'ing is obvious ^_^

He's looking great so far, love that backpack.

Might need to furnish those of us who only did latin for a year with a few translations, though. ;)

Sorry. My Latin is far from perfect, but I adore that language - and since I just passed my written and oral exams, I sometimes get carried away xD

"Quod videre non possum, arma mea possunt" means "What I cannot see, my armour ('my arms') can". It's obviously not classic Latin, but I guess it's enough to somewhat look like Standard Imperial Gothic :)

Also, thanks a lot for having a look.

The backpack was both a pain and fun to do - I wanted it to look like it were slowly changing from ceramite to flesh and bone. But I guess you can't really see a lot of that in the pictures... :(

Wow. Originality in a Nurgle model. Don't often see that (except recently, on this very board. Good times!).

Kudos, bravo, congratulations and hurry up with base already.

Oh, I just got it. He's blind but his armour has eyes in it. It's all making sense now. Coolness factor has increased a good 35% over one minute ago.

More kudos, congratulations etc. And I notice that base still isn't done.

I usually pass right by Death Guard/Nurgle threads as they tend to look the same and rarely in a good way. I'm glad I followed my instinct and looked in on this one. This is a perfect example of playing to theme but still thinking outside the box. The rust and stains are noticable yet not overbearing and the organic parts look suitably disturbing. Great stuff.

One question. Have you considered varnish to the fleshy parts? A matte or satin varnish would give them that sickly and unhealthy "fever sweat" sheen.

@ Ammonius:

Thanks lots and lots :tu:

He'll have his base by saturday, promise.

(What's it they say...? "Cross my heart and die"?)

@ AlexCrute:

Thank you :)

Yeah, that's what bothered me about most of the nurgle stuff one can find in the interwebs. They tend to be hardly more than a blob of gs, maybe sporting some tentacles and that's that. One of the few exceptions to this is this guy's warband; although I personally would choose a different style of painting and gs'ing, his modelling is great.

About the blindness... Perhaps I should've put more emphasis on that in the first description. My bad :)

@ Watch Commander Danek:

Thanks!

The thought behind the lack of the bloated belly is that as you progress in grampa Nurgle's favour, the number of mutations and "development" grows. He's had one, but at some point in his career, it came off and was replaced by a gaping maw, biting everything stupid enough to close in for a hug :)

Concerning rust and dirt... in my opinion, most weathering techniques require little skill. I wanted to achieve similar effects with "classic" painting, and since I didn't want to have a super busy buddy, I reduced the number of effects to a minimum :)

Varnish... I've tried that before. For some reason, I've never quite managed to "pull it off". Everytime I tried, I screwed up. oO

Do you have any recommendations other than the GW stuff?

@ paraelix:

Thank you :)

I was happy when I found I had still some Gretchin Green left - it turned out almost exactly as I wanted it to.

@ MagicMan:

Well then - screw you! :lol:

Thank you; I was hoping somebody would mention that. Looking forward to reading what you think about it when it's finished :)

Hehe... Never been called "buddy" before xD

Varnish... I've tried that before. For some reason, I've never quite managed to "pull it off". Everytime I tried, I screwed up. oO

Do you have any recommendations other than the GW stuff?

Oh mate you're asking a guy who hasn't touched a brush in 6 years lol. When I painted I used a brush-on satin varnish from Delta Ceramcoat. Did the trick for me without being too glossy (although some textures like blood and gems I used gloss)

@ Zacco Kathcizs:

Thanks ;)

Not sooo sure about that anymore, I really think I should've gone with the tongue sticking out of his belly... Well, too late now ;)

@ Watch Commander Danek:

For blood and stuff gloss is great, I agree. I'll try to find some of that stuff and give it a chance, thanks, brother ;)

*coughs behind Danek's back* what must a man have gone through to lose the will to touch his brush *cough*

@ Xenith:

About the mace... I always disliked the SUPERmassive look of the ones in the Chaos Terminator box - they are just too much. Personally, I think these are great as thunder hammers, but they just don't fit the rules they have. AP4 with such a head - not a chance :)

@ Veteran Sergeant:

Thank you - as I mentioned before, I always liked "clean" nurgleness, and so I just had to try it out. :)

@ whythre:

Thanks a lot!

As I said before, 40k maces and mauls are simply TOO big. Compared to medieval weapons... ah, darn it. None of the weaponry in 40k is actually usable by anyone, I guess :)

Archived