Pre Heresy Terminator Pictures?

Drunkspleen

I've been looking to turn a small older marine force into an army and have always had a bit of an interest in the Dark Angels wing structures etc. so with the release of Dark Vengeance I decided to go in that direction and am now working on an Angels of Absolution force.

Part of what I like about DAs though is the way their elite units stand apart with their unique colour schemes but still tie into the force well so, taking a few liberties with the fluff, I have become interested in the Idea of having my "Deathwing" and "Ravenwing" units use pre-heresy colour schemes with my reasoning being that with the view that they have been absolved in the eyes of the emperor, those units have earned the right to bear the colours from before the fall.

I'm having trouble finding many source images of pre-heresy terminator schemes though, I'm looking for ways to work a bit more colour (probably red) in to break up the black armour.

Just as a note I'm planning to use red weapons and green robes consistently across both army sections to help unify the force somewhat.

I would love to hear some input on this or if anyone has some useful source materials that would be great too.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011..._Terminator.jpg

This is from RT though. but it is a seemingly good thought on what they might be like. lqtm

I can get a better pic later.

Not sure about the Ravenwing. I know the symbol was also used by The Raven's Wing knightly order back when there really were things like that on Caliban.

There is also a pic of some TDA for the HH collected visions on the BL site for the HH Collected visions...

Yeah that image about all I've managed to dig up so far as far as pictures, and it's what made me decide to use the red weapons to link the two parts of the army (although I will give the gaudy flames a skip).

I think I'm looking at the HH pic you mean, and it's sadly no help, just a lot of black.

What about the Consecrators helmest stripe? I've seen people suggest they are fluffed as still wearing pre-heresy colours, but I can't actually find the fluff to support that, if that's the case that might help a bit?

Helmet stripe used to be a rank identification system back in RT.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/Onisuzume/Dark%20Angels/CrimsonFists01c.jpg

That said, they do appear to look a lot like the RT-era Dark Angels, which a number of people consider as pseudo-pre-heresy colours.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/Onisuzume/Dark%20Angels/RTDA2.jpg

Just one thing about pre-Heresy scheme - If you are being strictly accurate, only the Emperor's Children were allowed to wear the aquila on their chest plates before the heresy, so theoretically any pre-heresy scheme shouldn't have the aquila.....although as that was 10,000 years ago I'm not sure many people would be concerned about it :)

@Onisuzume: Thanks for those pictures, they will no doubt come in useful with me deciding where to head with this idea.

@facmanpob: Thanks for the advice, I wasn't actually aware of that, but I don't think it would be a problem since they aren't really a pre-heresy force or even necessarily using pre-heresy gear, just going back to the colour scheme as a sign of respect and their beliefs about themselves.

Just one thing about pre-Heresy scheme - If you are being strictly accurate, only the Emperor's Children were allowed to wear the aquila on their chest plates before the heresy, so theoretically any pre-heresy scheme shouldn't have the aquila.....although as that was 10,000 years ago I'm not sure many people would be concerned about it :)

This is very true. However, other winged motifs like the winged skull could be OK. So it's just the aquilla that was EC - specific.

@facmanpob: Thanks for the advice, I wasn't actually aware of that, but I don't think it would be a problem since they aren't really a pre-heresy force or even necessarily using pre-heresy gear, just going back to the colour scheme as a sign of respect and their beliefs about themselves.

I agree, that's why I put the smiley at the end :)

Actually the aquila was a mark of recongintion, used amoingst all the legions.

The Emp's Kids were allowed to use more (likely due to their name etc) but it was not uncommon to see it elsewhere - have a look at Garro and you'll see what I mean :)

As for Heresy-era, I think a deep black, possibly highlighted with a touch of dark angel green (or whatever it is now) would look really thematic and work in with the robes etc.

Ultimately there's a lot of different types of colour schemes - check out Elmo's taken on Angels of Darkness for just one idea.

Hope that helps :)

Hey Drunkspleen, I actually decided to paint my Deathwing in the black colours of old too. All I've really done is a dreadnaught, check it out here to give you at least an idea what a current model will look like. Note I didnt go with the flashy powerfist and Im doing my robes bone on the outside and green on the inside.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=261970

Hope that helps. And once you do get something painted, show it to us!

Moridius

Actually the aquila was a mark of recongintion, used amoingst all the legions.

The Emp's Kids were allowed to use more (likely due to their name etc) but it was not uncommon to see it elsewhere - have a look at Garro and you'll see what I mean :)

I'm fairly sure it was mentioned categorically in either Galaxy in Flames or Fulgrim that the EC were the only legion to use the aquila on their armour prior to the heresy. I know that some of the Garro artwork has him wearing the aquila (Grey Angel cover I think), but that is during the heresy rather than before. I've just taken a quick look on the Black Library website and I can't see an aquila on any of the cover photos containing Astartes armour. I'd ask in the Heresy sub-forum for a definitive answer but that would only generate a 40 page inconclusive thread with lots of people taking things far too seriously! ;)

Back on topic, Black trimmed with dark green would work well. I think the green was added by marines born on Caliban iirc. If you wanted to hark back to pre Jonson Terran legion days then you'd be free to trim the armour however you liked :)

Guilliman* or Dorn made a jab at the EC's Primarch saying "See, I got one, too." I know he said it to someone. So it can be used for extreme special recognition. pretty much only HQ guys. lqtm.

On topic. I think the red stripe down the head on a TDA wouldn't be bad. I don't know if they have it stated as it being done but it could look neat.

On the Aquila The Emperors Children were the only Legion to display it whole-sale, meaning any 'ol legionnaire could have one. The Aquila was a mark of honour and could be awarded for special circumstances amongst the other Legions, but they really had to earn it.

Cheers,

Jono

I believe the Green Pauldron was used specifically by the Terran born DA to mark them out for some reason. Ego, were better than those Calabinites?

Other way around I think - green for Calibanite marines in honor of the forests of their homeland. ;)

that pre-heresy black colored Deathwing gives me a great idea for my Contemptor

i reckon he'd look wicked awesome in those colors...the chequers may pose a painting headache,but it is a one off and its such a epic centrepeice model :D also only die hard Darkangel fans would spot it right off...

thanks for this thread and that pic,we loves the interwebs :teehee:

mithril

that pre-heresy black colored Deathwing gives me a great idea for my Contemptor

i reckon he'd look wicked awesome in those colors...the chequers may pose a painting headache,but it is a one off and its such a epic centrepeice model :lol: also only die hard Darkangel fans would spot it right off...

thanks for this thread and that pic,we loves the interwebs :lol:

mithril

Damn right! :lol:

Just for the visual effect (it is supposed to be a Consecrators' Contemptor) here's my take:

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/IMG_0374.jpg

Based on the two Dreads that have been posted it looks like maybe I was worrying about nothing, as long as they are highlighted well big black areas aren't nearly as monotonous as I thought they might be.

Besides, the Dark Vengeance Terminators (and with any luck an upcoming Deathwing box set) are swimming in details on their armour anyway so there's plenty of colour to be worked in there.

I believe the Green Pauldron was used specifically by the Terran born DA to mark them out for some reason. Ego, were better than those Calabinites?

Other way around I think - green for Calibanite marines in honor of the forests of their homeland. :whistling:

Correct. The left shoulder pad background was green for Calibanite DA and their right had their knightly heraldry and deeds instead of their squad/rank markings.

On topic - Like you said Drunkspleen, it doesn't look bad with other details.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the scheme you choose.

@ drunkspleen - yes indeed, good luck with your termies and show us pics when your done please :P

@ Captain semper.... cool contemptor :P that just reinforces my idea to do mine that way so thanks heaps for show and tell ! (beautiful black and red stripes by the way ;) )

Mithril

Archived