choosing psychic powers: codex vs BGB

Brom MKIV

Greetings brothers, I would like to get a consensus on when you and you're gaming group choose you're psychic disciplines. Codices like SW and BA state those powers are chosen during list design whereas the BGB disciplines state its powers are chosen before deployment. Finally GWs faq for these codices includes an amendment to choosing psychic powers, the basic jist being psykers choose between codex powers (no timing stated) or the BGB powers (prior to deployment statement). I'm on my phone or id quote the faq.

So what is the consensus here and how do you choose, during list design if taking codex powers, or prior to deployment for any discipline including codex? I've been using the later method along with everyone I know but recently I came across another member here who called this into question so id like a general consensus on the matter. Thanks.

I, and everyone I game with, follow all of the rules:

- choosing the Codex powers we want during list design,

- and, if we're going to us BRB powers, before deployment we determine the powers available.

Hmmm apparently I have been..damn! Well I am now enlightened, and a little dismayed since my rune priest just lost some flexibility. On the bright side mephiston got worse too mwahahaha. Cheers for the insight.

How did your Priest lose flexibility?

- Select Living Lightning/Jaws of the World Wolf (or whichever powers you prefer) during list building

- If you need BRB powers, exchange Codex powers and roll for your BRB disciplines before deployment

There isnt really any change, just an extra option.

You still pick codex powers at list design, regardless if you intend to trade them in or not.

At deployment you can choose to trade what you have for rulebook powers, or to keep what you picked when writing the list.

Simples :P

Ah ok I was reading too much into it and explaining it wrong. basically I've been choosing either codex or bgb discipline before deployment. Subtle difference from what you guys describe but that way is just as good and most importantly it doesn't preclude my priest from joining my tooled up long fangs to reroll vs flyers if I don't want to pod him in with codex powers.

That way would be a house rule then, as the way dswanick describes is what is written in the BGB. If that's the way you want to play it (and some would say it's the fairer way), that's fine. :whistling:

Having a hard time articulating on my phone but basically I'm saying I was doing it wrong although it was so close to the right way that I was slipping by accidentally. However the right way is actually the same end result for my purposes so I'm pleased to be mistaken. Hope that came out better.

Archived