Flier Advice needed.

fsloan

Hey Team,

I'm looking to get a flyer for my DIY space marine chapter. The SM stormtalon model, well, it looks a little clunky. Any thoughts on another SM flier or an allied flier would be appreciated. Any rumours on the horizon?

Thanks

FS

Well, using allies you could take the extremely effective Imperial Guard Vendetta, with a minimal 'tax' in order to get them. The troops are weak, but a cheap source of Plasma, and you can take 3 fliers in a Squadron for 9 TL lascannon shots.

Alternatively you could go for a Stormraven, but it is much more expensive and you'd only be able to take the one.

Failing that, you could take Necron allies for a total of 3 independant fliers, though you have the drawback of them not being battle-brothers.

What do you intend to use the flyer(s) for?

It depends what you plan to use the flier for.

General consensus is that the Stormraven or Vendetta are both better than the Stormtalon. However the stormtalon is a lot better than nothing and works well with any other flier. (Stormtalon is excellent as long as no one is shooting at it...)

The primary role of any flier should be anti flier defense. Since they are your easiest source of sky fire weapons, they should do everything they can to dominate the air before considering other rolls. I prefer the stormraven because it is the best all around choice. The vendetta is a close second being with an awesome payload for both flier and tank hunting. I only place it in the #2 slot because you must buy around 200 points of extra guard models before you can even consider getting it. If you were already going to ally with guard, it's a much better option, otherwise I'd leave it at home IMHO.

Archived