Iron Warriors WIP

Phalanx Warder

So to start this off i will add the beta test model my iron Warrior chosen!

he is still very much a work in progress...... and how i go about finishing him up is very much dependent upon your input, i am struggling with the hazard stripes and any input would be nice, also bare in mind this is my first venture away from my soul drinkers and metallic minis are not easy to do..... a whole new respect to those of you that make amazing looking metallic minis!

gallery_63665_7939_1202213.jpg

gallery_63665_7939_117806.jpg

Hey there - I think he's looking very good so far. Solid base colours from which you can continue.

The hazard stripes on the powerfist look okay, but you'd want to get some depth in there. I'd go with some layers of very thinned-down scorched brown over the yellow parts, and highlight them back on the edges.

Also, paint chips on the armour will look great and are quite easy to do. For the yellow stripes, take some of that scorched brown and use a blister sponge and stubble it over in some places, and then highlight the chipping on the edges with a lighter highlight colour.

The brass looks a bit flat(I know, he's very WIP and stuff), but there's an easy way to fix that. You could go with a turquoise wash-like paint mix to represent patina on the brass parts. Then, you could start highlighting with a mithril silver-equivalent which you mix into the base colour.

For the metal parts, extreme highlights have a distinctive look, so I'd pick a mithril silver-equivalent for edge-highlighting. Or else, just use a sponge with mithril silver, but it's quite inaccurate and may look sloppy. :lol:

Well, that's how I'd do it, obviously. I hope it was helpful for you. :P

Snorri

brothers,

Thank you all for the words of advice and encouragement i will start to play around and with battle damage and and various washes, i really love the iron warrior paint scheme, these DV chosen minis are going to be a challenge but my resolve is "Iron within, Iron without"!

that's the spirit brother! Iron within, Iron without! That how all of our resolve should be -_-, now we just need to see if you can add some of that good colour scheme to the rest of the models you will present

I have a pretty solid silver recipe, the gold and everything else on the other hand is a different matter all together!

Quick question for everyone, hazard stripes.........

I have it on the bolt gun and power fist, is the pistol too much?

that's the spirit brother! Iron within, Iron without! That how all of our resolve should be :lol:, now we just need to see if you can add some of that good colour scheme to the rest of the models you will present

I have a pretty solid silver recipe, the gold and everything else on the other hand is a different matter all together!

Quick question for everyone, hazard stripes.........

no I think thhat is ok, as long as you don't do it on every marine

Not necessarily- he's a champion after all, he's allowed more bling :whistling: besides it will make him stand out among the rank and file.

As for the brass- the GW dwarf bronze or vallejo brass work good. And vallejo air metallics work excellent when painted on with a brush (a bit counter-intuitive, i know) producing a very even, slightly reflective surface. Also metallizers are worth considering and/or testing out (model master 1417)- it could change the off-gold you got now into realistic metallic brass. Recently i've been thinking of mixing a green citadel wash with a blue citadel glaze to cover the brass/copper bits on my wolves, but i have yet to try that out.

I remember GW used to recommend painting watered down "hawk turquoise" into recesses to produce a verdigris effect (check out Bloodwolves on GW's site to see how exactly such an approach turns out). On the other hand if you want fresh, uncorroded brass a wash of gryphone sepia or ogryn flesh (or devlan mud, depending on the exact color of brass) will shade it quickly. However, speaking from experience, i wouldn't recommend using unmodified thraka green on brass- it doesn't look very realistic.

ok yet another update!

i am actually sick at the moment so this is good for any model that i paint because once i plant my behind at the painting pupil, and once a hippie sacrifice have been made, i will sit there until my whole body is hunched over and stiff like golem! (I loves it)

anyway jokes aside here are the pictures.

i think i have the first mini about 100% on him i just got to clean him up, you will notice his loin cloth (made from cadian virgins) has altered, i used bleach bone as the base, added X2 layers of Ogryn flesh then one of liech purple and that is the result! not bad me thinks and i started in the number 2 guy last night around midnight and called it quits at 4 am and got back on him around 8 am.

if you look at the bolt pistol i have attempted to achive the effect on an eyes poking out of each side, think the eye of sauron from LoTR!

gallery_63665_7939_2465829.jpg

gallery_63665_7939_135100.jpg

gallery_63665_7939_2105562.jpg

as always i want to hear your thoughts on these chaos filled traitorous marines! your input and time spent on my thread to further not only my skill and the hobby as a whole is appreciated!

Small update and future ops!

Ok, i had a hair brain scheme the other day and decided to mix a batch of my "iron Warrior 1st coat" paint and went on a mad painting spree! i tend to do this often as i just want to get the unit done, anyway all the guys from the DV box set have been primed and given 2 coats of my mixture. and in my careful haste they all have some gold on the trim in random spots!

below is my humble attempt to bring a little more color to the minis, i will paint warpfiend gray on the loin cloth and anything that looks like a bone will be painted so, i plan on making the ax a "green" power weapon, and i will attempt to do the eye thing here also!

Hope you like my work and as always i want hear any tips/advice you may have

Cheers, Battle8other

gallery_63665_7939_966050.jpg

gallery_63665_7939_2535413.jpg

gallery_63665_7939_592866.jpg

Ok so its update time!

here i have some pictures of the original marine but updated with battle damage, for some reason i just cant seem to get it right, its on his face, fist and foot. The other guy is nearing completion, i have really tried to add in color on these guy's.

gallery_63665_7939_1307672.jpg

and here is some better pictures of the latest marine, i have enjoyed painting the bone and power weapon, which speaking of the power weapon is my best attempt yet (i will post a comparison from my soul drinkers) enjoy!

gallery_63665_7939_1008173.jpg

gallery_63665_7939_2090982.jpg

i used "wet blending" the get this affect and i really like it however i dont think it would work for an axe!

gallery_63665_7160_814264.jpg

and for the Iron warrior i just improved upon this here.

gallery_63665_7531_1501705.jpg

once again guys feel free to comment and add advice!

hello all,

just a small update on the beginnings of my iron warriors war band.

first up is my power ax wielding marine, i had to add the eye to the Chaos symbol, i think that is going to be the thread that ties the whole thing together. I also added lots of bone color to him, i want him to have an individual feel. I am getting ready to tackle the hazard stripes on the power unit of the ax itself.

gallery_63665_7939_1557105.jpg

gallery_63665_7939_1114896.jpg

next up is a new comer and is also coming along nicely

gallery_63665_7939_307442.jpg

having a tough time trying to get the hazard stripes on this fella maybe he dosnt need them, i am not sold on there location or if i like it!

gallery_63665_7939_712745.jpg

And last but not least is a group picture! i think they are starting to come along nicely

gallery_63665_7939_97333.jpg

And before i sign of for the night i want to throw a warning out there.......... i am using the citidel Texture paint (Armageddon dust) to base my minis up, its easy and i like the way it looks. when i picked it up a few months back i got 2 pots of the stuff so i could base up my soul drinkers, well i got through about 80% of the first pot and lo and behold its all dried up (not mad, paint dries), so i open up my brand new pot and WHAM! I almost shattered the heft of my brush! anyway make sure you check them before you buy them and periodic (they are dryish to begin with)

anyway thanks for stopping by!

Those are some great lookin power weapons fit for any Iron Warrior, I specially love that lightning/power effect you gave them very different from what I have seen. When will we be expecting the Lord and Cultists? Can't wait to see them painted after what I have seen in this thread so far, keep up the good work brother! I can't wait to see more of this great looking marines and I hope that this will become a full fledged warband of a thousand marines or so! Cheers mate!

- ColdWinter

Archived