Counts-as Question

RolandTHTG

I'm slowly building a new chaos army, and in playtesting I've grown to like Nurgle-marked marines. However, my last couple of armies (IG and my 3.5/4th ed Chaos) both featured green prominently. So I don't want a green army. My current planned scheme is Here

So I was thinking about using shields to represent the extra toughness. I then ran into my problem.

While a shield can be extra toughness in my mind, the times rules for modeling regular guys with shields have been in 40k (from forgeworld), they've been used to modify the save, not toughtness. Either Siege Shields (reroll armor saves) or Boarding shields (5++ save), so now I'm unsure.

Do you think it would be acceptable if I used Shields to represent the Mark of Nurgle?

As long as I knew ahead of time what you were using the shields to represent, I wouldn't have a problem with this.

And yes, Nurgle doesn't always mean green. In fact, I go out of my way to avoid it if at all possible with my own Nurgle CSM.

Remember a mark isn't exactly war gear, so even if you we're really strict about wysiwyg, you would not necessarily have to represent it. As long as players know who has what mark, it really doesn't matter how you represent it, if even at all.

I had plague marines in my Iron Warriors for years, either

- using normal chaos marines and attributing the FnP, extra T and blight grenades to siege warfare expertise.

- using plague marines painted in brown/orange rust all over, with a faint hint of IW colors underneath.

- using MkIII iron armor, which in fluff makes for extra frontal plating (T) while reducing movement (I).

Don't see how that would be a problem; that kind of invention can actually lead to some astoundingly interesting and characterful armies.

For example, I'm a Slaanesh player, but I don't like the Noise Marines very much, so my "Noise Marines" are actually Pain Marines; creatures that have become so obsessed with the experience and infliction of pain they consider it a sort of art form, and carry weapons specifically produced for them by their Haemonculi allies to set nerve endings alight with sympathetic agony. They simply function as Noise Marines with the icon of excess, but they certainly don't look like them.

Similarly, my Warp Talons are a bunch of angel winged, Slaaneshi surgeons made from the Sanguinary Guard pack and kitted out with all manner of hideous looking surgical instruments, and my "bikers" are Slaanesh steed riding huntsmen.

You can have alot of fun re-imagining the motifs, aesthetic or background of a unit to better suit the character of your force, and they can look simply amazing on the battlefield.

Don't see how that would be a problem; that kind of invention can actually lead to some astoundingly interesting and characterful armies.

For example, I'm a Slaanesh player, but I don't like the Noise Marines very much, so my "Noise Marines" are actually Pain Marines; creatures that have become so obsessed with the experience and infliction of pain they consider it a sort of art form, and carry weapons specifically produced for them by their Haemonculi allies to set nerve endings alight with sympathetic agony. They simply function as Noise Marines with the icon of excess, but they certainly don't look like them.

Similarly, my Warp Talons are a bunch of angel winged, Slaaneshi surgeons made from the Sanguinary Guard pack and kitted out with all manner of hideous looking surgical instruments, and my "bikers" are Slaanesh steed riding huntsmen.

You can have alot of fun re-imagining the motifs, aesthetic or background of a unit to better suit the character of your force, and they can look simply amazing on the battlefield.

I really want to see your army.

I really want to see your army.

Alot of people have been asking ;) I think I might invest in a decent camera after the new year and get to it (assuming that some of the more...evidently Slaaneshi models don't violate any of the B and C terms of service, of course ;) ).

The mark of nurgle isn't the color green, it's the symbol: three circles arranged together. Though technically it could be somewhere on the skin beneath the armor, and thus theoretically doesn't have to be represented at all, if you're always going to use the MoN on a squad, I would try to paint it on them somewhere (shoulder, knee pad, whatever), at least on a few models in the unit.

Taking shields to represent mark of Nurgle would be a cool way to do a 'counts as' if you wanted some way to represent the upgrade without following the fluff of dedication to the chaos god Nurgle. Shields could also provide a good surface to paint nurgles mark onto if you wanted to keep the usual fluff as well.

The mark of nurgle isn't the color green, it's the symbol: three circles arranged together. Though technically it could be somewhere on the skin beneath the armor, and thus theoretically doesn't have to be represented at all, if you're always going to use the MoN on a squad, I would try to paint it on them somewhere (shoulder, knee pad, whatever), at least on a few models in the unit.

Taking shields to represent mark of Nurgle would be a cool way to do a 'counts as' if you wanted some way to represent the upgrade without following the fluff of dedication to the chaos god Nurgle. Shields could also provide a good surface to paint nurgles mark onto if you wanted to keep the usual fluff as well.

Yea, I'm going for the counts-as, not actual devotees of Nurgle. Glad to hear that so many people are outvoting my worries.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it, so long as i knew what was going on before the game started. I think it's a pretty good idea, and it fits reasonably well with non-FW precedents; if the armoured bulk of a bike buffs your toughness, I don't see why a shield couldn't.

Archived