SM Sniper Scouts

Fallen Avenger

I'm not sure they're used that much - taking up an Elite (non-scoring) slot doesn't help their cause for starters. If they became a Troops option I'd sure we'd see more of them. Shame really because the sniper rifles do have some merit.

Cheers

I

They're not game-changers, but they're fun to use. If you like to play relaxed games a squad (combat squadded) of 9 snipers+ 1 HB or ML is good to harass the enemy. If you put them in a good position in the backfield they'll be ignored for larger threats and can produce some disruption, but like I said they won't win you the game.

Snipers got better in 6th edition, but it would be almost 200 points for a squad of 10 with sniper rifles. You won't kill many things with this unit, but you will basically have a squad of 10 sergeants as far as the 'precision shot' rules go, so you gain potential to take out upgraded models from units as well as squad leaders.

You will always wound on a 4+, so monstrous creatures or other tough units will be just as easy targets as anything else, and easier to hurt than with bolters, something that might be worth considering as well if you're facing a lot of daemons, but you may want to knock them down from the air with something else first, if they're flying around like the annoying buggers they are!

If the BS4 doesn't matter to you, you can save 55pts by allying in a 10-man C:SM Scout Squad with sniper rifles which will have the added benefit of Scoring. That plus a HQ choice gets you whatever C:SM units you might want :

- Ironclad Dreadnought

- Stormtalon

- Thunderfire Cannon

- etc...

Archived