How to kill a vindicator with Dark Angels

Lord Squidar

I believe the magnets are our future....

agreed! much cheaper than buying multiple models/turrets

helpful predator/rhino chassis tutorial

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=233713

So do I - magnets are the way to go. Just can't get enough of them.

Thanks for plugging my tutorial Ihg033 :P

But.... it is also for the full range of vehicle built on the Rhino chassis (Rhino/Razorback/Predator/Whirlwind/Vindicator) :P

Scout now only requires a single model in the unit to have it to allow the whole unit to make a scout move and/or outflank, while you still couldn't scout a Landspeeder in a Ravenwing Attack Squadron because you are forced to combat squad it off into its own unit (the other parts of the squad would in this instance get to make scout moves), however, you can outflank the whole combined unit as a single entity because an outflanking unit (or any unit in reserves for that matter) isn't "deployed" until it arrives from reserves at which point you have to handle combat squadding.

The 6E Dark Angels FAQ disagrees with you:

Q: Can a Ravenwing attack squadron with a Landspeeder in it,

which has been held in reserve, use the Outflank special rule? (p27)

A: No.

Hopefully GW will change things such that this special unit formation either goes away, or is made to work, such that what makes it special unit-wise doesn't tea bag everything that makes it special ability-wise. As it is now, the unit is like a black ops team...which includes a member with Tourette syndrome.

"The bikes of the Ravenwing Attack Squadron sped quietly along at breakneck speed, the sound dampeners of their bikes cancelling out all but the faintest crunch of their tires running over the dirt and gravel of the alien landscape. However, the squadron's Land Speeder, with its characteristic high-pitched whine emitting from its open exhausts, blared out an announcement to all enemies within ten miles that the Ravenwing were abroad, and hunting. Sergeant Astinus wondered to himself, not for the first time, "Why in the name of the Emperor do we include these things in our bike squadrons? Far be it from me to question the tactical sense of Master Sammael, let alone that of The Lion, but this is @$#&?%! asinine!"

:D

As to killing Vindicators, maneuver and shoot the thing from the side where it is AV 11. The front 13 AV arc is not very wide, so this is not very difficult to do. Due to its maneuverability and armament, a Land Speeder Typhoon is optimally suited to punching a couple 48" range krak missiles into that AV 11.

The 6E Dark Angels FAQ disagrees with you:

Q: Can a Ravenwing attack squadron with a Landspeeder in it,

which has been held in reserve, use the Outflank special rule? (p27)

A: No.

Sadly there's simply no accounting for how poorly GW understand their own rules, I mean heck, technically you can't disembark from any of the flying transports while they are Zooming (which means technically you can never disembark from a Night Scythe)

So I went ahead and got a dreadnought, even though it wasnt the best choice for AT, I just love the model, i'm particularly happy at how easy it is to swop the weapons around. Its all assembled and waiting on my desk to receive its nice deathwing paint job. thanks for the advice guys!

dreads are always a good choice in my opinion! great models and fluff, been a bit down graded with the HP system in the current rules but the trick there is provide saturation/other targets in your army.... anyway....

you can also get forgeworld weapons for the dread if you fancy running other options, or use bits sites to buy arms from the other plastic dread kits which i 'think' fit ok (someone else confirm/deny?)

if you can, and you use forgeworld rules where you play, have a look in Imperial armour apocalypse 2 (i think, get mixed up by which is in thei and which is in IA aeronautica) at mortis dreads some time! good for popping vehicles and gives you anti air

95% of the time I include at least one Dreadnought in my armies, because they just look cool. Things looking cool is a simple part of the fun of the game (even when those cool looking things are not the optimal choices for the task at hand).

My best solutions to destroy a Vindicator :D

1. Land Speeder with Typhoon and MM

Solid choice but not a unit you want to rush with. 12” move doesn’t guarantee that you will be able to use melta special rule (even though MM is 24”). If you rush in expect your Speeder to be destroyed with flashlight fire a minute after that. It’s much more viable to keep your Speeder at maximum distance and try to outflank Vindicator so you can shoot two missile shots in it’s side armor. It will be much more painfull then frontal MM shot especially if you can’t get within 12” of the target. Since this works on a paper I found that good opponent wont let you get within 12” and most likely will protect his Vindi’s side armor with Rhinos or terrain. You need some kind of distraction to make it work.

2. Attack Bike

Very good suiscidal choice. You get only one MM shot but with Scout special rule you have a very good chance of hitting this damn Vindicator with a 2d6 AP shot. If you want to go on a suiscide run attach one to Ravenwing Bike Squad (3 or 6 Bikes, 2x Plasma Guns) and combat squad them. Bikes stay behind while Attack Bike rush in to melt some faces. You need 2 of them if you really want that Vindicator to explode.

3. Ravenwing Attack Squad

The most expensive option as 3 Bikes with 2x meltaguns cost 150 points. It’s 200 if you attach an Attack Bike. You have 3 meltas but it’s quite expensive for a suiscidal unit. And you have to get within 6” to have all three shots with melta rule available. Imho it’s not a very valiable choice.

4. Razorback with TLLC

Cheap and tasty. Hide it behind terrain if your opponent start or beat Vindy in your 1st turn. You opponent will most likely try to destroy it asap but it’s only 80 points and he wont shot other targets. Besides I think that well placed TLLC Razorback (well placed = 36” + from enemy forces) can survive quite a bit.

5. Deathwing Terminator Squad.

Put there Thunder Hammers, Power Fists or Chain Fists. It doesn’t really matter. Whatever you put there it will destroy a Vindicator in CC. If you want to CC use them with a Bike (Teleport Homer). If not you can try to Deep Strike them on Vindi’s Side and pray you don’t scatter. With a nice Deep Strike you can use two CML shots to crack Vindi’s side armor.

From my perspective Speeders and TLLC Razorback should easily seal the deal ;) Depends on your playstyle to be honest. I don’t like to overextend and prefer more shooty way ;)

Archived