Anyone else frustrated at the moment?

Aegnor

So I decided a few months back I wanted to play Dark Angels. Then learnt the New starter set would have DA in it - score! Purchased three land speeders for Ravenwing fun - ace! Then got Dark Vengeance - hooray.

But, I'm stuck on the horns of a dilemma as to whether I want to paint up my guys as DAs or a successor (either a homebrew or possibly an official successor if there's one that appeals in the new Dex). I want to read the new Codex before making my choice.

Similarly - I haven't assembled my Landspeeders yet, as I want to see what the options are in the new 'dex.

So I'm stuck, tidying up bits of my Salamanders, fiddling with my new Chaos stuff from DV, when it's my Dark Angels I really want to get started with. Hmmmmphhh.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Yep, similar position here. I've got a ton of DA stuff waiting to be put together, but I don't want to stick any weapons on anything in case GW in their infinite wisdom decide to make certain builds invalid. Plus I want to see what new toys we get first.

Luckily I've got some Grey Knights that need attention too... :)

Magnets are your friend! :)

To be honest, so long as you magnetise the weapon options on your speeders, they are all going to be valid options.....lets face it, we're not suddenly going to find that we can't use multimeltas, assault cannons or typhoon missiles (famous last words! ;))

On the point about painting....yeah, there's nothing you can do but wait, which must be frustrating! I feel your pain!

Magnets are your friend! :)

this

my only real concerns with buying new stuff/making things is that newer/shiney options come out.

that plus they may well alter the appearance of a few units (DV bikers vs normal/RW upgrade bikers, sublte but slgithly different)

You can't go wrong with painting the stuff as is in the DV box.

You can guarantee that we'll have some plasma rule that makes it good to have, so your safe with the Tactical Squad.

Also, you can bet that the Deathwing squad will be usable as a 'troops' basic DW squad.

I say go ahead and start painting, the contents of the DV box set at least.

Cheers,

WW

I've always got far too many idea's for projects on the go but at the moment I'm really, really itching to get on with a small 600 point force using some old metal robed models I founf in my bits box the other week. Its been several years since I had a Dark Angel force (sold it long ago) and having read Rover's thread based on a 1000 point Greenwing force (Thread is found HERE) and Raven of the Wing's 500 point thread (found HERE) I've come up with a 600 point list I like (600 points is the value I use when I help with a local school club I'm involved with.

The thing thats stopping me is tactical squads and their special weapon entitlement with the new codex - if I knew they had access to plasma guns at 5 man I'd go right ahead with the force.

I'd love to use pure metal models and recreate the force Rover has losted, and indeed go further with it but a serious lack of funds/trade compnents stops me from doing that......I need to hunt through some boxes though as I'm hoping I still have 30 - 50 plastic robed marines which I can use instead that are for my Guardians of the Covenant.

Dan

Yup in the same boat matie - got a DV empty box full of DA projects waiting to go . It has our original lead dread in it and the newest LE DV chaplain - so the oldest to the newest all waiting to be consolidated/updated!

My philosophy is - keep working on tester models to get my colour schemes down pat - then when the lovely new models appear I can get stuck straight in! PLus weve waited 5 years - cant be too much more than 5 weeks away...? *glances around nervously*

Patience Younglings... this last fewweeks will slip by before you know it.

Luckily I've got some Grey Knights that need attention too...

Snap :thanks:

I feel the frustration of the OP very keenly. I have a unit of Gunslingers pretty much done, but I think they might not exist in the next codex. I also have a Contemptor dread waiting for paint. Got a Land Raider, 10 Terminators, the Dark Vengence set, and a bunch of DA Upgrade sprues. With the coming Retcon of fluff, I want to wait to see what happens to company markings and chapter layout.

To fill in the time, I'm working on a 800 pt IG Detachment and various other little projects. I'm actually considering selling my current DA's so I can just start over.

PLus weve waited 5 years - cant be too much more than 5 weeks away...? *glances around nervously*

Ditto!

But a couple of weeks ago I decided I don't care!

I decided to assemble all of the DV tacs + gather those models already built but not played...to recon 50 man lol.

I'm gonna work on those to keep myself going and when the new dex comes out, we will see.

*** hiding the 50 bodies still in sprues ***

I feel your pain. I really do. My Dark Angels are all painted, and nothing in my project box (for Dark Angels). There is nothing I even want that is currently available, and waiting is frustrating. Good luck.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Well sort of. I'm currently spending my time in re-painting my Deathwing (fortunately there has been some progress in my skills during 5 years), and once I'm finished with the current squad I'll build my DV Tacs and a Rhino for them.

However, I'm affraid to buy/build anything more exotic at the moment. I was going to buy some Land Speeders to bulk up my force, but I'm certain the Codex will have new awesome variants

and I will regret my decision then.

So yeah, focusing on basic stuff at the moment. Oh, and I'm also re-reading Angels of Darkness in anticipation of the Ravenwing book. Filthy delusional Astelan. :)

I've been painting up my GK+IG force for a bit, but I've slowed on that as it gets closer to DA time. I'm getting very excited at the possibility of a relevant codex. I'm gonna be doing a Crusade of Fire campaign with them when they release, and I've got 2 DV boxes worth of stuff to add to my already massive collection. I know I've got some conversions ahead of me, and those are what I'm waiting on the codex for. Rank & File can be worked on right now, IMO.

I'll reiterate that magnets are your friend. You probably don't want to go quite to my level of excess (50 magnetized robed bodies), but magnetizing sergeants and vehicles, and maybe special weapon models can be a big help.

I'm not very frustrated in the painting department. I have plenty already put together that needs to be painted. Just with my recent move and end of semester woes I just don't have TIME to paint :P

But I am frustrated in actually playing this game. So far I've really enjoyed playing 6th edition, it is really fun and cinematic. But every time I want to play I just look at my codex and go meh. I love the Dark Angels so much that I feel really guilty when I try to play another codex and playing this bland codex just kind of sucks all the wind out of my sails. Hopefully this will be remedied soon, but soon can't come fast enough! :) :P

I feel the frustration and the codex-weariness as well.

I have a bunch of terminators and bikers that I need to assemble but I'm unsure how I will do so because of possibe future weapon-layout. (I put a Cyclone Missile Launcher on a Lightning Claw equipped deathwing termie literally a day before I checked the rumour thread and heard that close combat termies might not be able to have them. UHG. Not even magnets would have saved me from that one if it turns out t be true.)

And at my local GW store where I play, I'm always getting weird looks and non-helpful advice, even from the store manager, when they play me.

"You have droppod assault." "No, I don't." "Yes, you do. All droppods have droppod assault." "Not mine! Because my codex sucks."

"You were undercosted by a lot of points last game." "No I wasn't. I did the math myself." "That razorback should have only been 70 points and you could have put the extra points elsewhere. And your tactical squads..." "No, it was 80, and my tactical squads are that expensive. Because my codex sucks."

"Remember, you have Combat Tactics so you can always-" "No, I don't have Combat Tactics. Because my codex sucks."

Yeah, I'm totally in the same boat as you. I have an apothecary terminator conversion that I've had sitting in primer for a couple of years now. I literally had the brush in my hand to start painting the day the faeit rumor about the 2 wound terminators being the only ones with the option to even use an apothecary. Instantly took all the wind out of my sail. I need to know points costs and other options for a unit that expensive before I start investing my time into getting them to look snazzy.

I feel your frustration too.

Actually this thread reminds me of a dream I had the other night. The Lion appeared to me and said, 'Fear not little brother, your wait will be over soon; and if ward fails our codex, use the forgeworld list. After all, we used to be a Legion.' I said, 'Lion, you're the best.' ;)

Seriously, I'm sure the codex will be awesome. While waiting, been assembling a few vehicles myself, reading heresy stories and salvaging what parts I can from where I can to get ready for the next incarnation of DA's.

I'm taking a break and concentrating more on the First Legion then 40k.

This month I vowed to finish off a rhino and predator... but since I finished those up fast; I am preparing January and February's vows of 5 HH sergeants, 10 more legionaries, a support squad, contemptor and maybe a storm eagle.

I feel your frustration too.

Actually this thread reminds me of a dream I had the other night. The Lion appeared to me and said, 'Fear not little brother, your wait will be over soon; and if ward fails our codex, use the forgeworld list. After all, we used to be a Legion.' I said, 'Lion, you're the best.' ;)

Seriously, I'm sure the codex will be awesome. While waiting, been assembling a few vehicles myself, reading heresy stories and salvaging what parts I can from where I can to get ready for the next incarnation of DA's.

If you were in the black templars they had to clad you in armor and give you the black sword, what does the text book say for that in our case I wonder?

Actually this thread reminds me of a dream I had the other night. The Lion appeared to me and said, 'Fear not little brother, your wait will be over soon; and if ward fails our codex, use the forgeworld list. After all, we used to be a Legion.' I said, 'Lion, you're the best.' :lol:

;) You're both so right.

I'm in the 'lucky' position of having 16 years worth of painting backlog to clear, so I'm busy completing unfinished work (supplemented by the occasional 'bargain' from eBay). That way, whatever's cool in the new codex will be ready to hit the table.

Archived