PLG's Imperial Fists

PaganLinuxGeek

Vindicator1.jpg

Vindicator #1 already primed, and airbrushed with several coats of antique gold.

Some of the grey detailing done.

I'm not pleased with the stray grey paint on bottom of siege shield. I need to find a way to SELECTIVELY remove the stray paint.

Anyone have suggestions for straight lines using a brush?

It will be fine once you do some battle damage or even a light rusting effect on the blade with some weathering powders, whatever you choose I am sure it will look great.

Well since this is like the 5th piece I've ever painted, I've no experience with the weathering, rust, battle damage or etc.

I'm thinking I'll practice with something other than the siege shield as I would like them to pop when done.

Any suggestions? I've seen lotsa striped editions but not so sure I want that on my IF vindicators...

Vindicator 2 with antique gold airbrushed and ready to start painting details...

I'm getting better with the airbrush... I really should post my experience. Maybe I can save someone else the trouble I've had.

No I brush paint the tracks black on both sides and then grey on the outside still attached to the sprues. Airbrush the rhino chassis with base color, then attach tracks afterwards.

How does everyone else do it?

20121203_170016.jpg

Here's some other vehicle additions I've made.

The weapons on Stormtalons are glued as shown as I usually take lascannons on them.

The weapons on Land Raider are magnetized and interchangeable for either the redeemer or crusader variety.

Notice the shiny finish on one stormtalon? That's the result of testors spray enamel... I am not happy with finish and may overcoat with the antique gold I usually shoot through airbrush.

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to adding some detail work on the redeemer / crusader. I'm never sure how far to go with the detailing. I mean there are a LOT of panel lines and rectagular shapes on these models...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8078/8271567449_b342eb3f3a_c.jpg

Imperial Fists Land Raider Redeemer by PaganLinuxGeek, on Flickr

More detailing on the Vindicator (#1) as well.

The stacks on all my rhino chassis vehicles are undrilled and unfinished. I just don't know what I want to do with them...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8084/8271570157_7182e303cd_c.jpg

Imperial Fists Vindicator (1) by PaganLinuxGeek, on Flickr

It will be fine once you do some battle damage or even a light rusting effect on the blade with some weathering powders, whatever you choose I am sure it will look great.

How do you paint your battle damage?

http://thepaintingcorps.blogspot.com/2010/...lly-dug-in.html

Here is a link to a good tutorial, as for the weathering powders I use the Tamiya kit that you can get from Hobby Lobby I just apply iy with the applicator that looks like an eyeshadow brush the airbrush Vallejo mat finish over it so it don't rub off. I wish I had a way to put up some pics but I am slowly working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

While battle damage would be awesome, at a minimum these need something to 'dirty' them up -- the super clean paint job just looks super fake. I might consider something like washing the whole model in a super thin black wash to just give it some shades and 'color texture'. Something like this would go a long way (just linking to the wash part, but the whole video is excellent):

• 2 months later...

Here's a close-up of the Stormraven after airbrushing basecoat. Getting better with the airbrush.

Here's the rhino and some bits. Sorry about flash... was in a hurry to get out door.

Here's the stormtalons.

Here's some of the vehicles stacked on my to be finished shelf...

vehicles by PaganLinuxGeek, on Flickr

Some drop pods prior to basecoat...

Sgt Telion, and a Librarian waiting for finishing touches and clearcoat.

My "let em dry" table with basecoated drop pods and bastion...

The Fortress of Redemption waiting for detail work...

Archived