Newbie help vs Necrons

PaganLinuxGeek

Being a new player with only a handful of battles under my belt, I am running into difficulties developing tactics.

I've played a particular opponent vs necrons. He smeared the board with me and we both want a rematch in a couple weeks.

Here's some notes from our last battle.

He's using an HQ that he claims can't be killed (at least stays dead). I figure there HAS to be a way or the game is unfairly biased and GW seriously needs to repair.

Scarabs DESTROY my heavy armour!

He uses some ability EVERY TURN that causes lightening strikes on EVERY un-engaged unit.

I know if I can kill the lightening strike causing model that problem will be solved. Our first battle I started a squad of scouts w/ telion and a missile launcher in a ruin. Bolstered ruins due to Lysander, added the stealth bonus to cover save for a 2+ (it was night).

He ?teleports? a unit right next to the ruins, uses two flamers and destroys the unit completely before they even get a shot off.

Most of his guys get up after each phase if I do "kill" them.

I'm working on a list specifically for our next match and have THESE ARMY ASSETS available in my army assets. In addition I wouldn't have a problem with a subsitution of weapons on models. so i could sub plamsa for lascannons or vv. I could probably borrow a couple drop pods from a friend.

How can I effectively combat:

The scarabs

The lightening storm bringin m/f

The "I can't die because I resurrect" guy

My (in development) list is:

Chaplain on bike

Drop Pod w/ Sternguard

Bike squad w/ MM attack bike

3 @ 10 man tactical w/ flamer & lascannon Sergeant w/ power weapon in rhinos

Terminator squad (arriving via d/s) w/ missile launcher

2 @ stormtalons w/ tml

Whirlwind

2 @ vindicators w/ siege shield

There are people on this board that are much more experienced than me in this regard so i will get the ball rolling.

It is best to first try to list exactly what your opponents list is, this way it is easier to combat. But here's some general info that may help.

1. Necrons have initative 2. If you assault them with your termies plus a tactical squad they will be struck by the tactical squad before being able to strike themselves. The termies will then clean up the leftovers unsuring the squad is dead. Honestly some blood angel jump pack allies wouln't go amiss here esp with a sanguinary preist hq giving them feel no pain.

2. If you make the unit of necrons fall back the fallen necrons cannot make reanimation protocols. (see necron codex)

3.guy who keeps getting up = everliving special rule. For dealing with models with everliving, they cannot come back if you wipe out the necron unit and consolidate your squad two inches in everydecretion of where the model fell. (see necron codex) also hes got to roll to see if everliving happens. It aint automatic!

4.) Scarabs. I believe that swarms like scarabs take double wounds from things like blasts and templates. Burn 'em up! Or put those vindies to good use.

5.) general rule for necron demise, shoot them til everyone in the squad is dead. Do not spread fire. Do shoot willynilly. One target. Kill it. Dead. No reanimation protocol.

Lightning guy? Dont know but someone on here probably does. Heres some advice. Do some research on necrons. Google: necron codex. There are alternative ways to get this information on the web. Read whats there and youll be able to prepare yourself better. It can be tough to deal with unfamiliar special rules. The best defense is knowledge.

Polythemus has given great advice. Follow it. I for one have a very experienced Necrons player in my group and he is relentless, so I know that feel bro.

The "lightning guy" is Imotek the Stormlord, and he is a beast. Make sure your opponent is rolling every turn to keep the storm in play, otherwise it goes away, as does nightfight. I think I would try Drop Podding that Sternguard unit right on top of Imotek and his unit, and see if you can shoot him down first turn.

The Teleporting ability is the Harbinger of Despair. A Cryptek with the Veil of Darkness. If you can snipe him out of the unit he is in with Telion/Scouts, that would be awesome! Otherwise just make sure you stick to what Polythemus said, and kill every target till they are dead. Don't move on target priority until you have completely knocked a squad down. Only Lords, Overlords, and Special Characters have the Everliving Rule. So normal squads are removed before Reanimation if their squad is depleted to zero models.

Hope this helps!

So lets address some of the issues, I play vs a necron player who uses his codex to the fullest.

"He's using an HQ that he claims can't be killed (at least stays dead). I figure there HAS to be a way or the game is unfairly biased and GW seriously needs to repair."

The rule is Reanimation protocol which means when his models die on a 5+ (or 4+ with a res orb) they get back up, if they fail that roll THEY ARE REMOVED, so if he fails his reanimation roll the model is dead and cannon come back.

"Scarabs DESTROY my heavy armour!"

Use S6 on them, it will instant death a base for every wound, so assault cannons, auto cannons, demolisher cannon.

"He uses some ability EVERY TURN that causes lightening strikes on EVERY un-engaged unit."

That is his HQ Imotekh, it has to be night fighting to keep the lightning happening and for every unengaged model you roll and ONLY ON A 6 will lighting hit them

"I know if I can kill the lightening strike causing model that problem will be solved. Our first battle I started a squad of scouts w/ telion and a missile launcher in a ruin. Bolstered ruins due to Lysander, added the stealth bonus to cover save for a 2+ (it was night).

He ?teleports? a unit right next to the ruins, uses two flamers and destroys the unit completely before they even get a shot off."

That would have to be deathmarks and they would mishap if they landed in a building because they count as deep striking, also if they have 2 flamers that would be crypteks and you can only get 2 of them in 1 squad if you have 2 royal courts.

Most of his guys get up after each phase if I do "kill" them.

At the end of every phase all necrons who died (IE failed saves) make a roll and if they pass they come back, if the model FAILS this roll they are removed and cant come back.They CAN NOT take this test if they fall back or if the squad is wiped out (unless they are everliving which only HQs have),

"How can I effectively combat:

The scarabs

The lightening storm bringin m/f

The "I can't die because I resurrect" guy"

Focus fire, if a squad is wiped only the HQs can stand back up, everyone else is dead so kill the whole squad in 1 turn. Keep your armour away from scarabs and if necessary assault them, and once Imotekh dies the storm stops. If you have any questions or need clarification il gladly help.

Also remember that scarabs, being swarms, suffer double wounds from blasts and templates. Combine that with a strength 6+, and you'll be ID'ing double the number of scarab bases. Thunderfires excel at removing scarabs - I'd recommend that as your next purchase, or proxying one.

Also remember that scarabs, being swarms, suffer double wounds from blasts and templates. Combine that with a strength 6+, and you'll be ID'ing double the number of scarab bases. Thunderfires excel at removing scarabs - I'd recommend that as your next purchase, or proxying one.

Not anymore, with current wording I would call against it. It still does double wounds but no more IDing 2 bases

Ax i think that yourslightly off as regards deepstrike. Mishap only really happens with impassible terrain, other models, and table edge, otherwise it just counts as dangerous terrain. A building/ruin would fall into this category, just becomes dangerous terrain.

Not anymore, with current wording I would call against it. It still does double wounds but no more IDing 2 bases

Whoops, must have been 5th ed. syndrome.

Not to threadjack, but what's changed that makes this not work? All I saw in my brief look at the rules was they still take double wounds, nothing about ID in it...

EDIT: Thanks Axagoras, I'll take it to the rules forum for further clarification.

As said lightning guy is imotek the one who won't die could be trayzan the infinite he's hard to keep down as if he fails his everliving he can take over a random lord/cryptek/overlord and come back he's also scoring, the two flamers could be deathmarks with cryptek vail and flamer(make sure he wounds you against LD not toughness, unless it on the marked unit from hyperspace hunters) plus a lord with heavy flamer(gauntlet of fire) or just be a cheap warrior unit with two as above, there's not much you can do about them.

Otherwise the best tactics have been said shoot a unit (or assault and sweep)untill it's no more and try to block the everliving counter (it's got 3" radius) or else he can try to get up again from any attack that causes a wound and still be counted as that unit type. I.e lord in warriors is troops warriors are killed lord gets up and still counts as a troop.(think wolf guard ).

So best of luck.

So now I'm thinking that a kill team specifically tasked with taking on his stormlord is in order.

I am debating using a command squad or honour guard in a drop pod.

I was thinking the chapter banner would add +1 attacks, allow rerolls on failed hits and wounds.

Might be quite a points cost though...

Thoughts?

As said lightning guy is imotek the one who won't die could be trayzan the infinite he's hard to keep down as if he fails his everliving he can take over a random lord/cryptek/overlord and come back he's also scoring, the two flamers could be deathmarks with cryptek vail and flamer(make sure he wounds you against LD not toughness, unless it on the marked unit from hyperspace hunters) plus a lord with heavy flamer(gauntlet of fire) or just be a cheap warrior unit with two as above, there's not much you can do about them.

Otherwise the best tactics have been said shoot a unit (or assault and sweep)untill it's no more and try to block the everliving counter (it's got 3" radius) or else he can try to get up again from any attack that causes a wound and still be counted as that unit type. I.e lord in warriors is troops warriors are killed lord gets up and still counts as a troop.(think wolf guard ).

So best of luck.

Block the everliving counter? Can you explain please. Do you mean surround the model on all sides or just in the four directions?

I mean make sure that there is not a free 3" around the counter as he can get up within 3" of his counter but must stay an inch away from the enemy so if you consolidate spread out over his counter it kills him dead. (unless it's trayzan he can take over another lord etc).

I mean make sure that there is not a free 3" around the counter as he can get up within 3" of his counter but must stay an inch away from the enemy so if you consolidate spread out over his counter it kills him dead. (unless it's trayzan he can take over another lord etc).

Ahhhhh haaaaa! Next battle I will make him remove his model and place a counter (coin) then I can consolidate over and around it after I kill it.

Archived