My Painting Blog

Hello

Firstly to introduce myself, I have recently returned to the hobby from many years away from it and thought what better way than to start a blog, so I and you (if you wish to follow) can follow my works form start to finish. I have an aim to better my modelling and painting skills with help from you guys on here as i know you all give great C&C when it comes down to the nitty gritty.

As for a starting point i thought what better way than to purchase the Dark Vengeance boxed set, which is currently trapped somewhere in the back of a little red postal van on the way to me. I was however unfortunate and missed out on the limited edition boxed set *slams head on desk* but I managed to find the Limited edition Chaplain on eBay so not all was lost.

The Chaplain has arrived this morning and I am very impressed, for those of you who haven't got Dark Vengeance, I suggest you beg someone to get it for you for Xmas as i know from this one model alone its going to be great.

Anyways on with the model, for a plastic model the detail is absolutely amazing and i know this will certainly push my painting skills to be better so without further ado here is the chaplain (still on the sprue for now)

gallery_70008_7946_328442.jpg

gallery_70008_7946_1566860.jpg

As you can see the detail is amazing in this model and I shall post more pictures later on today

Until then hope you enjoy my blog

Voodoo

So I have taken the model out of the sprue and clean up all of the mould lines and have started painting the model. I have decided to keep the model in pieces whilst painting it as it seems easier to paint this way. I have only applied base colours atm but thought would post a pic of whats happening so far.

with out further ado...

gallery_70008_7946_2327959.jpg

Well I have finished the first part to the chaplain, the base is now complete let me know what you guys think. Will follow with more pictures tomorrow of the chaplain model himself and hopefully the Dark Vengeance boxed set arrives tomorrow too *fingers crossed*

with out further ado here is the base...

gallery_70008_7946_1435853.jpg

Well its a cold morning here today so hopefully the painting can take my mind off of that and also fingers crossed for the boxed set to arrive, post has been very late this week probably the run up to Xmas now so i wont keep my hopes up. Anyways i think on with some more painting and some pics will be up later on today

@Kingdom of the Emperor: Thank you tbh the base was really easy to paint but i am also really pleased with the outcome cant wait to get the chaplain finished and mounting on it =]

@Beaver2206: Cheers there is going to be alot more highlights to all the clothe and robes when the model is nearing completion will keep posting pics as i go along

Well as quick as I was able to slag off the Postal service in this country i had a knock on the door and look what just happened to arrive :D

gallery_70008_7946_1304217.jpg

So i had to open it and have a look inside and i am just as impressed with all the detail of the models as i am with the chaplain, GW have really gone to town with detail on these guys and i shall def be posting a few models later on today. However i think i may just snap fit them and not glue as by looking at some of the sprues it will be easier to paint them unassembled, well here is a quick look inside the box for now...

gallery_70008_7946_449546.jpg

Thank you :) as you can gather from my post above i haven't got round to painting much this morning but i assure you there will be more pics later on with more work done on the chaplain and a few built up models from the boxed set too

Voodoo

Well I managed to peel myself away from the Dark Vengeance boxed set and managed to get some more work done on the chaplain, i am pleased with the outcome so far but still have alot of work to do on him before he is finished.

Firstly here is the front of him i still need to do highlights on the roping, cloth and the 2 knives on his belt..

gallery_70008_7946_1291281.jpg

here is the back of the cloak the Dark Angels emblem has only had one coat of white atm so thats why it seems a little patchy in places..

gallery_70008_7946_1342827.jpg

and lastly his staff which is nearly done i just need to carry out last minute highlights on the red handle and the gold on top..

gallery_70008_7946_1072322.jpg

so the chaplain is coming along swiftly and i think soon i shall also start basecoating some of the Dark Angels

Voodoo

So I have taken a break from the chaplain whilst i try a few techniques on older models for NMM (None Metallic Metal) but i have been working on the Deathwing squad from the Dark Vengeance boxed set. These models look great and by looking at them i decided to assemble these before painting as you can reach all the details needed when everything is in place.

So mould lines gone and base coated is as far as i have got with these so far so here is a few pictures one of the whole squad and then next of a close up of one at random, they are all at the same stage so thought pointless taking pictures of each individual model. So here they are ...

gallery_70008_7946_1134928.jpg

gallery_70008_7946_497010.jpg

If I manage to get some good samples of NMM i will post pictures of this too. More to follow later..

Voodoo

So i decided to leave the painting where it is as after much research on how to paint power swords i came across a brilliant method, which incorporates the use of an air brush, with this in mind i thought i would stop painting the deathwing terminators and mask off the sergeant for spraying. With the sergeant masked off i decided to leave the rest of the unit too as i like to paint same colours on each model one after the other (for me it speeds up the process) rather than painting one whole miniature at a time.

So the air brush has been ordered and the deathwing on the back burner for now i decided to start taking some of the chaos off the sprues, before i could stop myself i had 2 angry mobs of cultists and a hellbrute staring me in the face.

gallery_70008_7946_2903562.jpg

I decided to start with the cultists and thought i would give various skin tones ago before settling one a desired one. As soon as i opened the colours i use for skin disaster struck, the paints has gone thick and gloopy or dried up :/ (guess thats what i get for leaving the hobby for a few years to come back to it) so another order placed for paints. I decided to give the army painter range a try as my local store sells them so more on that when they arrive. So the only thing i can paint is the hellbrute for now, which then another conclusion arose, do i paint it the the standard red GW paint theirs or do i go for another chaos scheme? i was thinking perhaps the Black Legion but i am not to sure?

so my question to you is what chaos colours would you like to see the Dark Vengence chaos painting in??

Voodoo

So i have made a start on the hellbrute and it is coming along really well, i have 90% done the face just need to do the highlights on the eyes and then a general tidy up but all in all i think its looking ok so far. I have also gone over all the areas that will be gold eventually in Tin Bitz, i find this helps the gold really pop out and it achieves a really strong gold colour.

gallery_70008_7946_341195.jpg

Other work I have done includes all the abdominal muscles, these are complete, with just a simple 2 part highlight I find it really helps make them stand out...

gallery_70008_7946_285864.jpg

Let me know what you think

Voodoo

cheers for the kind words :D and yes i will dull down the face i am still waiting on the arrival of the paints i ordered last week so i have been held up slowly :/

I haven't really got anything done this weekend, what with all the Christmas shopping etc, but i will be back to painting tomorrow and hopefully the paints will arrive too which means i can crack on with a lot so will be plenty more pictures to follow thru out next week.

Voodoo

Hello all

Well hope everyone had a nice weekend, mine was busy with all the mas shopping but safe to say now all the mas gifts are covered :( and today i have done a bit of shopping for myself. I got myself a pin vice to drill out all the gun holes on the models and i also went looking for some cork to use for my bases. After finding a role for £7.99 i got thinking there has to be a cheaper alternative and i found some cork beer mats ( i presume they are used to make to make your own and they only have the cork). Fora pack of 4 it was £1 so i got a few packs and hey presto...

gallery_70008_7946_1475459.jpg

I also came home to a lovely package which just so happened to be my long awaited paints which means i can now crack on painting everything. Will be interesting using these paints rather than the standard GW range so i shall let you know how i get along with them :D

gallery_70008_7946_1794522.jpg

That is all for now

Voodoo

So it's been a while since I have posted anything but I have some pretty pictures to luck at for today :lol:.

Firstly my work has continued on the Hellbrute. However it's taken a lot longer to get to this stage than I first anticipated. This is due to me stripping the model and starting from fresh ( anyone wants to know a fat an easy way to strip models I could do a tutorial or just explain?). Once the model was stripped I respected and started again this time painting the model I assembled and making sure all the flesh highlights were achieved before starting on the gold work. The gold has also turned out better this time. Rather than using shining gold as I did the previous time I used the Army Painter's greedy gold. I found this covered a lot better and gave a more rich even colour. The face I also less ghostly white and has more colour to it. There is still a lot of work to do but thought would post a Wip picture ...

gallery_70008_7946_840114.jpg

I have also begun work on the cultists. I don't like how the GW models have been painted as they are all different colours. I understand that they are cultists and aren't going to be in uniform but the way I see the cultists is rather than one or 2 soldiers from a squad turning to chaos i believe the whole unit would turn and therefore they would be in similar uniform to one another (well thats my take on it anyways)

So here is one cultists for now, its not finished but thought I would share my work so far ...

gallery_70008_7946_705125.jpg

Any C&C is much appreciated

Voodoo

Archived