How to beat C:CSM with C:SM

J!MM!L!C!OUS

Bring something capable of killing Heldrakes, they're the most dangerous thing you'll likely face. In my matches against C:CSM (admittedly I was playing as Templars, not C:SM) everything else was quite counterable but the drakes were a pain in the butt. In my second match I even downed one Drake with the Quad Gun's Intercept (Tank Hunters on the Quad Gun = nice!) before it got to do anything, but the second one still tore me apart.

On the whole though it's usually not all that different from fighting other marines.

The new Chaos codex is extremely diverse. While there may be a few common threats, tactics will differ a bit by what kind of army you are facing.

As for some general advice...

prepare to deal with helldrakes. If you play SM you can expect to see them fielded against you. Transports will protect your units from the death flamer, but you need to deal with them eventually.

Avoid close combat with any Chaos HQ...Unless you're Lyssander or someone awesome. They generally hurt a lot and are pretty cheap in points.

Watch out for hatred(space marines). It will make the first round of combat a bit tougher.

Compared to before, they have lower leadership now. So if the unit is not fearless, you can force them to fall back or be pinned. They also don't auto-regroup like loyalists.

They have very easy access to some AP3 weaponry. Consider artificer armor and terminators carefully.

They have very easy access to some AP3 weaponry. Consider artificer armor and terminators carefully.

A lot of lists bring plenty of plasma and meltas too though (generally the maximum amount allowed per squad), making even 2+ a bit weak.

And on the leadership, VotLW is pretty much a given, making anything with 2+ or 3+ LD9 (sometimes LD10) anyway.

Shoot the assaulty ones and assault the shooty ones! ;)

Helpful units:

Librarian w/ null zone and avenger (base)

Quad gun

Sternguard, pod, mixed combiweapons (to take out the oblits or DPs or other high value target)

Las-plas to take out the Rhinos

The T5 all nurgle armies are annoying as hell, especially now that FNP was buffed. T5 obliterators are insane as you can't insta-kill them with str8 stuff.

Solution? Vindicators. And, if you want to assault them, Lysander. Also, master of the forge with conversion beamer seems to me like a helluva nice option to snipe obliterators (since they'll be deployed far away and in cover, so you should be getting str 10 ap1 blasts at BS5 with that conversion beamer, teehee). :)

A lot of lists bring plenty of plasma and meltas too though (generally the maximum amount allowed per squad), making even 2+ a bit weak.

And on the leadership, VotLW is pretty much a given, making anything with 2+ or 3+ LD9 (sometimes LD10) anyway.

How about mech with AA and/or TDA? Melta guns aren't the most plentiful gun in the game and only have 1-shot each. That means they have to commit to tanks or infantry. However, this will led to a low count model army.

Archived