Airbrushing

Polythemus

Hi,

This is a general painting question. I have a new air brush and i hope to put it to use after exams for my storm eagle. Im hoping to use my citadel paints with a pasche airbrush. Does anyone outhtere have a good idea for how to thin down the paints to get a nice coverage? I thought id ask you all first.

Hi,

This is a general painting question. I have a new air brush and i hope to put it to use after exams for my storm eagle. Im hoping to use my citadel paints with a pasche airbrush. Does anyone outhtere have a good idea for how to thin down the paints to get a nice coverage? I thought id ask you all first.

50/50 is always a good start for airbrushing. Thin with either distiller water or Windex (test to see which works better for you on some scrap card board before committing to a model). If you have a pressure regulator, I find that between 15-20psi works best. Also, a drop of a flow aid, such as the acrylic retarder made by Liquitex will help keep the tip ofthe airbrush from clogging too badly.

Spray thin coats, building your color to the desired intensity. With highly thinned paints, you can add subtle shading affects. I think once you practice & play around with the Pasche a little bit, you will be surprised with the results you can achieve.

Hope this helps.

A general painting question would do well in the General Painting Questions subforum.... :lol:

Though I'm looking at a airbrush for XMas (well, researching them at this stage) so I'll be watching for the answers where ever this thread ends up. :lol:

For the Imperial Primer I use a little more than 50/50 as its quite thick. Other colours around 50/50 though. I use Windex in general to thin, but again, for the Primer I have to go a little different as it is almost 'greasy', so I use around 70/30 Windex/alcohol mix. Works well. My compressor is a cheap eBay special, so the pressure drops a little after a short time so I have my regulator set to about 23-25 psi. I'm still learning to use my airbrush, I only use it for priming and basecoating, but they are a lot of fun to use and save oodles of time. I would check out Awesome aint Jobs videos on YouTube for tips on use and also (very important) cleaning your airbrush.

Archived