New to the boards and Fallen Dark Angels army ideas.

Discopirate

Hello all, fairly new to these boards! I used to paint and play back in my school days but University and subsequently, work and moving in with my girlfriend, has kept me away from the hobby for quite some time (I am now 26!). Having recently picked up the new XCOM game it kind of reminded me of 40K and I had an urge to return to the hobby! Basically what I intend to do is create and start a DA successor chapter.

Anyway, like a lot of you, before I start anything I am eagerly awaiting the new Codex Dark Angels. However, as a side project I thought it would be interesting to make a (very) small Fallen army (I love DA lore). I know that the Fallen are only ever seen on their own or in small groups (having been scattered throughout the Galaxy and all) so I'm unsure of how to go about things. I few ideas that I am tossing around but I am not sure if they would work:

1. Run with the Codex Chaos Space Marines with a Chaos Lord, possibly a unit of Chosen and a couple troops of Cultists.

2. Run with Codex Space Marines and use a Space Marine Captain with Command Squad and use Imperial Guard allies (how would this work?).

Basically the idea is that a few of them have banded together and attracted a small force / militia. I want to stick to the fluff as much as possible and limit their equipment to pre-Heresy. I don't think I want my Fallen army to appear too tainted by Chaos (if at all). Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

EDIT:

Anyone know how long the Dark Vengeance box set will be available for?

The fallen tend to either blend into a society or perhaps ally with some renegade forces. I think it would be interesting to have a main force of either Imperial Guard or Tau, and then take chaos space marine allies to this main force that would represent the fallen.

As for dark vengeance, the previous starter box was available for the entire length of 5th edition, so I'm going to say its a safe bet to think that DV will be available for the entire length of 6th edition.

Welcome to the Rock Discopirate!

Building a Fallen force could present some interesting challenges and will prompt you to delve even more into the DA background searching for details to allow you to build a "fluffy" yet effective force. Since, as you correctly put it, the fallen themselves operate either alone or in small groups, making an army of them presents some background discontinuity... This is what I suggest:

Following the Fall a squad of Fallen DAs turned wholeheartedly to Chaos. However they also stuck together and they started to accumulate followers from within the Eye. Over the millenia, the squad's former sergeant has evolved to a fully fledged Chaos Lord while the rest of the squad could be either a group of Chosen (not the best choice in my view form a lore point of view, but that's just personal opinion) or Aspiring Champions and leaders of squads... They could be an "Inner Circle" of their own in mockery of the real DAs Chapter within an expaning warband that has other CSM in it that are not of DA ascendany - even containing an abundance of cult troops... So effectively you go for the Chaos Codex and you can use it to full effect as the Fallen would have forged alliances in the Eye that would allow them access to everything the Chaos Codex can offer. How about that?

Oh and regarding the DV boxed set, I'd say it will be available for at least the life span of this edition of the core game - something like the previous AoBR... It's not a special edition or anything (well the version with Chaplain Seraphicus was supposed to be but that's gone now anyway).

Look forward to see your Traitors happily returning into the fray! :sick:

I'd use CSM with DA fluff in this situation. Even Dark Vengeance DA models can be easily converted to Fallen or you can simply paint the Chaos forces from DA in green to represent their heritage. You can mix DA and Chaos from DV together as Chaos conversions go as far as your imagination. You can have Cultists, converted regular Marines, led by Chaos Lord and supported by a Helbrute. That's a budget option but since you want to wait for a new codex it's good to save some money for juicy units to be released.

Still you can start regular DA army even though a codex will change a lot of stuff. Start off with painting one or two Tactical Squads (DA comes to my mind again or Tacticals + DA Veterans box or + DA conversion set) with a support of Rhinos/Razorbacks. No matter what will new codex bring you will find them usefull in your list and will have a core to your future army :devil:

Awnsering your question => Dark Vengeance should be available over next few years. GW doesn't release starter sets every year :(

Basically the idea is that a few of them have banded together and attracted a small force / militia. I want to stick to the fluff as much as possible and limit their equipment to pre-Heresy. I don't think I want my Fallen army to appear too tainted by Chaos (if at all).

I think you were correct in identifying Imperial Guard as the way to go for the majority of your force. If this is almost a project rather than a fully fledged army, you'd only need a few infantry squads, the odd heavy weapon team, maybe a looted tank.

In my opinion the tricky bit is representing the Fallen squad. I think the Lord plus Chosen idea could work, but if you don't want them too Chaosy, maybe the Space Wolf codex could be useful? You basically want a squad of unique, elite marines who have refined their skills and equipment for thousands of years; Lord and (Wolf) Guard, which can made truly individual. Frost blades are just old school bad ass power weapons. Sagas become personality traits developed through countless battles. But then I wouldn't know how to make the Guards troops, I'm not overly familiar with the codex.

I also like the idea of the Blood Angels codex with some Death Company; suitably proficient in combat, and with some custom-ability.

Whatever you choose, I think the 'army' should be the Guard, and the 'allies' should be the power armour. I'm looking forward to what you come up with, please keep us posted!

Thanks for the welcome and all the replies! Lots of good ideas being thrown around!

Still haven't decided what to use to represent the fallen but I think I have decided on using Imperial Guard for the bulk of my tiny force as some of you suggested. I'm going to go with Death Korps of Krieg to represent the IG. I think their history of treachery and rebellion make for an interesting mix with Fallen Angels, plus they look pretty cool!

I'll keep you all posted on this little mini project, although with Christmas looming and the inevitable draining of the wallet on countless presents it might be a while!

Archived