Best weapons for a Captain.

Tiger9gamer

alright, Just thought of something that has been bugging me for a bit...

what would be best on a vanilla captain (with artificer armor, A relic blade or Power axe?

with the relic blade, your hitting at initiative with str 6, but you are AP3 and cant get an extra attack.

with a power axe, you are hitting last, but are strength 5 with AP2, and have a chance to get an extra attack if you have a pistol...

I want my captain to kill more than just mooks, maybe being able to handle himself in a challenge.

Maybe go hog wild and give him a lightningclaw and fist? It's a nasty combo to get hit with. Failing that I would go with the relic blade, it's damn shame to waste the high I and there should always be another character with a fist or axe with him to soak challenges.

but I want him to still kill terminators too... would he be really good for the "mook mower" part of a squad?

Terminators are probably pretty good at killing him back with hammers, fists and c-fists.... ideally you want to keep him far away from stuff that can instagib him.

So yeah, hitting at 3+, wounding on 2+ while denying saves as well as piling in and hitting before normal troops make him good at chewing mooks.

Which squad will he be in, if any? If you want him to be able to handle himself in challenges, and be able to kill off a few TEQ, I might go with something like this:

Captain-155 points

Artificier armour, Storm Shield, Power Fist

He's no pushover in CC, and strikes simultaneously with Termies. Even against Hammers and Fists, he still gets his 3++.

okay, no bikes X-X

Ehhhh...

In that case: Lysander.

But if it absolutely needs to be a generic captain: relic blade + storm shield OR artificer armor, based on preference. IMHO keep him cheap, cuz he won't be doing all much and will need a land raider to get into assault properly.

With a Captain you already pay for an Iron Halo in the base cost. Why pay extra for a storm shield? Yes, it's a better invulnerability save, but even so it seems slightly wasteful.

But it does, as always, depend on what unit he's running with and all that.

A quick search would have helped you out as well. :huh:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=265312

yea that would have helped, but needed new questions ^^'

still stuck on the power axe/relic blade argument... one hand i alread have the model for the relic blade captain, on the other i think he could still use some AP2...

maybe go crazy and give him a power fist and lightning claws as fork said above? that is cheaper than my old idea.

Then the better thing to do may have been to ask in that thread, therefore you keep all the Captain questions and information on loadout together, making it easier for others to find all the relevant information when looking at the same topic. Of course, I understand the concerns of threadmancy.

As this thread has gathered a bit of momentum though it's not going to be merged or closed.

All my views have been expressed in the last thread, RB/SS is the best way to go, especially with AA and digi weapons as well.

I think one of the things that needs due consideration when loading out a captain is considering the squad hes going to be in and the purpose of that squad overall (this is really a whole other topic)....after all the captain can be armed to the teeth, but you wouldn't send him out alone would you? Its just something that needs to be looked at though!

The fact that he's with a squad is the reason i'll always give the captain a Relic Blade over an Axe.

If hes with Assault Terminators, you already have enough AP 2 attacks to go around (Assuming most people take at least 2 - 3 TH/SS Termis) and its a huge shame to waste your captains Iniative 5 by giving him an axe. With the relic blade, he has a good chance to waste a number of the enemy squad before they can even strike back.

If hes with Tacticals/Assault/Sternguard, i'd rather give the sergeant the axe again, in order to let the Captain strike first. For me its alot more important than having AP 2. Since you know he can't ignore 2+ armour saves, you'll generally try and avoid them, using the Sergeant for a little insurance.

Power Fists ONLY have an advantage over axes against vehicles and monstrous creatures/High T models. S6 Axes are pretty much just as effective at killing normal troops for much less points. They can also benefit from an additional attack from the bolt pistol.

I dislike captains personally, I feel like they don't add much to the army for their points. They just seem like a big point sink to lose to one errant krak missile

If I were to equip a captain, I would take a bolt pistol, power weapon of your choice, and consider artificer armor. Storm Shields are probably okay if you are taking an I1 weapon, but losing that extra close combat attack kinda sucks.

Unfortunately the captain I have is the 25th anniversary crimson fist captain, and he has the worst gear ever. Plasma pistol + Power fist. If only he wasn't awesome looking.

Archived