Plague Marine Lord

Pig Of Sparta

Hi all,

I was invited to join a group on Facebook recently that has monthly competitions using the plastic 'Lords and Heroes' from the Warhammer Fantasy range. The rules are simple, the previous months winner chooses the following month's mini and contestants must use that mini in whichever way they see fit, we can convert, change bases etc, but we have to use the nominated mini as the basis of the project.

I actually converted just after last Christmas but was quickly distracted (as I often am)by other projects. Since I've never painted anything like this before I thought I'd seek some opinions on this mini from my fellow B&C fraters as I've never painted anything like this, or in this style before so I'm not sure whether it looks like a good 'mess' or a bad one:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8357/8267631246_e52bb80893_n.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8067/8267631018_1569130255_n.jpg

The brown on the armour plates is just the basecoat and the splashes of flesh colour will be tidied up later and the tones of the flesh have been built up using several carefully applied glazes of Baal Red, Leviathan Purple, Gryphonne Sepia and Waywatcher Green. I'm planning on adding some subtle highlights to a few areas of the flesh once I've figured out the best placement.

The Lord's exposed entrails are just about done although I'm struggling to think of a suitable colour for the large boil on his belly (the reddish colour there just now was just an experiment to see what it looked like).

The armour I think is going to end up off-white as I envisioned that the Lord is one of the original Plague Marines of the Death Guard. Despite his corruption I want elements of his former existence to remain and I think that using his armour to do that is the most simple and effective way of doing that.

Also I could use some ideas on how to base this plague-ridden marine as I'm completely stuck just now, I don't want to just stick him on a pile of slate, I'd like to do something that reflects the character of the mini if I can. I know that google and search-fu on the forum will yield some results but there's nothing like the input of one's peers to help with decisions. I'm planning on putting him on a 40mm base but that's about all I've got just now...

So please have at it and let me know what you think. The competition closes on the 31st of December so I ppnly really have a couple more weeks to work on my entry so any and all feedback will be appreciated ;)

thanks

James

The guts look good, they made me a bit ;), so they're perfect for a Nurgle character.

The base...hmmm, rusted metal and debris, like a decaying city? Or standing in a puddle of slime/marsh?

And this is is obviously waaaay late in the game, as you're painting him...but the backpack looks like it's sitting too high. It's not "OMG, that's ruining the model", but just kinda "huh, that's a little odd."

I love the skin tones you've got going on him, if you're not a fan of the red how about a puss-filled faint yellow?

It might be a bit tricky to convey properly but how about a base that shows the aura of decay that surrounds the Lord. So perhaps a lush savannah/jungle that as it gets closer to the figure goes through yellow-brown-black to effectively a pile of decaying mulch trailing his footsteps. Perhaps a tree or other large plant that is verdant on the far side but clearly dead closer to the figure.

I think he looks brilliant, honestly. You did a great job so far!

I'd be hesitating to paint the armor off-white. It wouldn't contrast as nicely with the skin color you've got. It doesn't have to be the brown (which I really like however), but, as I said, make sure you consider balancing it with his skin.

Many people do like oozy stuff on Nurgle bases. It's sensible, and I don't like it just because I don't like it personally, there's nothing wrong with it. I reckon it would fit well with your model. But I'd second ChromeZephyr first idea and go for ruins and wreckage. Just my 2 cents though.

Cheers, JT

Archived