The best unit for 110 points

Naminé

Hello Brothers,

I will be taking part in a campaign soon that is somewhat unusual in it's army lists; basically you have a 'pool' of troops to a total of 2750 points, from which you then pick army lists for individual games.

You cannot take units that are not in the pool; for example, if I take 1 Land Raider in the list I can never field 2 of them.

Wargear does not need to be included. You can upgrade any unit for individual games and army lists. Thus, all units in the pool are at base point cost.

Fortifications cannot be taken, since these will be obtained within the campaign in different ways.

So with all that in mind, this is the pool of troops I've come up with so far:

1 Captain,

1 Librarian,

Vulkan He'stan,

3 full squads of Tactical Marines

2 Rhinos,

2 Drop-pods,

1 Full 8 man Bike Squad,

2 Attack Bikes

1 Landspeeder

1 full squad of Assault Marines

1 Predator Tank

1 Vindicator

2 Thunderfire Cannons

1 Land Raider Redeemer

1 Full Squad of Sterngaurd

1 squad of 5 Tactical Terminators

This leaves me with 110 points exactly, and I have absolutely no idea what to do with it!

I could take a Dreadnought, but honestly when I've used them they've done NOTHING at all before dying (actually I once killed an ork).

So, what in your opinion is the best unit I can take for 110 points?

Sounds like a cool campaign. What size will the games be?

I'd echo the votes for both a chaplain (who, with jump pack, will make your assault marines much more effective) and a squad of sniper scouts (you have enough points for 6 scouts, I think).

Either one will add something different to your list. Overall I think the scouts win out (by just a bit) due to their overall utility in holding objectives. Too bad you don't have enough points to add Telion, but even so they'll be getting 2+ saves if gone to ground in area terrain. Don't expect them to kill much.

Your squads are full. Where are the Captain and Librarian going? You can drop one Sternguard body to fit the Libby in without losing any special/heavy weapon choice. You can strap a JP on the Capt, who needs a LR, bike, or JP to get into assault. Chappy would be nice with the Assault squad, but you already have 3 HQ's.

JP/Bike for Captain

JP/TDA for Libby

Are all of your HQ's riding with your terminators?

As Namine stated in his OP, wargear is upgradeable later - so your ideas all will work, DerekLee688!

Plus any of the HQ's can ride with a squad in a drop pod...or hang out in the LRR. Or upgrade to termie armor and teleport in with the terminators. So....Namine's got options.

4th HQ just means more options to choose from - no problem there!

Hey guys,

Maturin has it right, wargear is completely interchangeable on a game to game basis, so I don't need to commit to any yet.

Crucially, the campaign works so that there are 2 fleets; one is small and fast of 1000 points, whilst the other is slower but has 1750 points. I can assign my pool of models to either fleet but if I put my Land Raider in the larger fleet, I could never use it alongside models in the 1000 point fleet. :lol:

When it comes to the games though, I can always add as much Wargear to a unit as I wish, so long as I don't exceed the 1000 or 1750 point limits respectively, and then once that battle is fought I can rebuild that unit completely differently in the next game!

So people seem to be favouring the chaplain. Gotta admit I don't have much experience with them, though Making Assault Marines more killy could be good.

I did have some scouts in the list at first, but my experience with them is not great :P They always miss for me!

Still it could be a flexible choice, infiltrating Turn 1 with Cc scouts, throwing Krak at rear armour and carrying meltabombs could be good support for drop pod sterngaurd :)

I would have to ask if Telion would be allowed since he is technically an upgrade...

Namine - if you have 3 tac squads, but have 2 armies to divide them amongst - won't you need a 4th troop choice, so you have 2 troops for each fleet?

If so, it's another reason to go for the scouts. Again, take them as snipers with cloaks - their only job is to hold an objective and draw fire. Don't expect them to kill anything (though once in a while they shine!). Very handy cheap unit to have, I think.

Well, I was going to say a TFC -- but two is probably enough for any given game.

Haha yeah I love them! Thing is I only have the one model, but by taking 2 in my pool I can use one in each fleet and thus each game ;)

@maturin:

My 4th troops choice will be bikes :) had great success running them with a biker captain in a recent tourney alongside a normal tac squad.

However I am starting to reconsider my scouts for the job. I can sit them in bolstered ruins with a 2+ save, and theyll be helpful vs the huge amount of Tyranid players in my local area. So yeah I'll probably roll with them :P

Archived