Heraldry

GrandMagnus

Greetings brothers,

So, Im new to DA angels and I was considering how to go along and paint them when I thought of this question. So, obviously, DA officers would have their own heraldry (like in so many other chapters), but I was wondering, would company veterans and members of the 2nd and 1st companies also have their own heraldry or did It become a lost tradition after the HH ended?

I had thought of using golden edges on the pauldrons of the company veteran squads and squad sergeants to make them stand out, but I think heraldry on the right pauldron would also look really good.

Cheers.

I do not think there is any "official" ruling on that. I guess it boils down to your personal take of the background. Would you go for a baroque, ornamental style like the cover of the Dark Millenium box of old, or play it down to a more austere, monk-like look? Your call! :P

The recent DV set certainly has DW and RW with some extra ornamentation...

Welcome to the Rock Brother Anaziel

If memory serves it states in the codex that robes are normally worn by veterans and Sgts but as people may have noticed I tend to use swords as heraldry (single sword, crossed sword, sword with wing etc) and my veterans tend to get text on their armour (PA or TDA) along with some DA bling when the mood takes me :D

I have even been known to add laurel wreath icons on some pauldrons ;)

As Capt S writes it is really up to you where you want to go....

I thought I had read once that induction into the Deathwing gives you the right to bear personal heraldry... so you'd think that would exclude the other company's Sergeants and Vets (but I can't find a source for you). But like Semper said, I think it should come down to personal style. I wouldn't mind giving at least Ravenwing sergeants something.

Here are some of my attempts -

DW Apothecary (My thought was that he might have been an Apothecary in his battle company as well and made that honor part of his own personal heraldry)

Couple other Deathwing

The following are from my Consecrators. The shoulder pad could be considered Heraldry I suppose, but maybe it's simply more of just a company/squad marking. The combat sqaud leader has a similar marking, but without the red stripe

Consecrator Sergeant

Consecrator Combat sqaud leader

Other markings to consider that go along with heraldry but apply to anyone are battle honors/insignia when a marine may have been a part of a particular war or operation. Typically an icon on their leg armor or something of that nature. In the new Ravenwing book I've seen mention of small markings denoting marksmanship and such.

Well these are great answers. I like to have some freedom. I had in mind going with a combinacion of baroque armour and monk cloths, more or less like this image (wich in my opinion is how DA should look armour-wise):

http://a3.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/86/2fcfd6f28e76423c9459593532ef43b2/l.jpg

Thank you for the quick replies brothers.(Sorry about the image size :D )

Well these are great answers. I like to have some freedom. I had in mind going with a combinacion of baroque armour and monk cloths, more or less like this image (wich in my opinion is how DA should look armour-wise):

http://a3.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/86/2fcfd6f28e76423c9459593532ef43b2/l.jpg

Thank you for the quick replies brothers.(Sorry about the image size :D )

Agreed, that was my inspiration for the checkered pattern on my own Consecrators. I hope that when they finally do a Dark Angel Legion for the Horus Heresy expansion they do some DA-styled armor suits. I believe it's been noted that each Legion would modify their suits aesthetic as suited them.

Here is a great thread if you are looking to do some conversions in the direction of said image - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.p...ht-PreHeresy-DA

Coupled with FW stuff (which I don't believe the OP in that thread had), you can make them a little easier.

Well, the fact is it isnt my intention to use FW stuff, mostly because I want to make 41st millenium DA not heresy era (although I really love the MKIII suits). But depending on what FW comes up with, in the future I will add some older patterns.

Well, the fact is it isnt my intention to use FW stuff, mostly because I want to make 41st millenium DA not heresy era (although I really love the MKIII suits). But depending on what FW comes up with, in the future I will add some older patterns.

That's fair, but isn't out of the norm that some Crusade/Heresy-Era armor would survive into the modern 40K timeline. Perhaps complete suits of Mk 2-5 are more rare, but you might see some armor pieces mixed in with more modern suits. Alternatively, ranking officers may be blessed with ancient relics like Mk2 armor. My Consecrator Sergeant is supposed to be sporting such relics (note the older mark bolt pistol and converted helm) and his squad leader is sporting a (converted) mk4 chest piece. Even Beakies (mk6) date to the time of the Heresy which most of my Consecrators are wearing.

In other words, you could totally mix some FW or converted armor of older marks into your army.

Another example would be these fellas. YOu could also consider these Steam Knight Helmets just to had some flair. The one on the far left may be too Thousand Sons for my taste, but the other 4 would work nicely as ancient helms from the Legion days. You could certainly get away with tossing some on characters.

I look forward to seeing your army.

That's fair, but isn't out of the norm that some Crusade/Heresy-Era armor would survive into the modern 40K timeline. Perhaps complete suits of Mk 2-5 are more rare, but you might see some armor pieces mixed in with more modern suits. Alternatively, ranking officers may be blessed with ancient relics like Mk2 armor. My Consecrator Sergeant is supposed to be sporting such relics (note the older mark bolt pistol and converted helm) and his squad leader is sporting a (converted) mk4 chest piece. Even Beakies (mk6) date to the time of the Heresy which most of my Consecrators are wearing.

In other words, you could totally mix some FW or converted armor of older marks into your army.

Another example would be these fellas. YOu could also consider these Steam Knight Helmets just to had some flair. The one on the far left may be too Thousand Sons for my taste, but the other 4 would work nicely as ancient helms from the Legion days. You could certainly get away with tossing some on characters.

Don't get me wrong, I was thinking of using older patterns on officers, veterans and such. I just meant I didn't want an ENTIRE army with the old marks.

I would give my company master a mark III armour, mostly because its the most badass of the armour types IMO. I was hopefully going to use Gawain Veteris conversion methods, that I'm sure you're familiar with. It's cheaper than FW.

Don't get me wrong, I was thinking of using older patterns on officers, veterans and such. I just meant I didn't want an ENTIRE army with the old marks.

I would give my company master a mark III armour, mostly because its the most badass of the armour types IMO. I was hopefully going to use Gawain Veteris conversion methods, that I'm sure you're familiar with. It's cheaper than FW. But I wouldn't field too many old suits, considering that they a venerated and mostly used only for feasts or reinactments of the glorious times of the Great Crusade.

I would give my company master a mark III armour, mostly because its the most badass of the armour types IMO. I was hopefully going to use Gawain Veteris conversion methods, that I'm sure you're familiar with. It's cheaper than FW. But I wouldn't field too many old suits, considering that they a venerated and mostly used only for feasts or reinactments of the glorious times of the Great Crusade.

Mostly I would just use regular MK VI - VIII, baroquishly converted (if that's even a word...), power armour because it looks so damn wicked.

Aren't these guys Fallen? Look at the pointed arrows on the armour (Chaos marines love arrows) and the glowing red eyes on the sword.

Pre-heresy Dark Angels in that awesome black power armour (too bad those damn traitors kept it).

The Angels of Vengance kept the black at least!

This video shows some good heraldry on his Terran born veterans.

http://youtu.be/Bup_zs4Irw8

In hindsight it doesnt make much sense personally for the Terran marines to have heraldry and the Calibanite marines to not but whatever!

In the Codex: Angels of Death & 3rd Edition DA Codex, there are depictions of modern DAs with the pointed arrows on their armor.

Edit: Well, I know they are in the 3rd Ed Codex, having to go off memory for the 2nd Ed 'dex. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the arrows are remnants of iconography used during the Unity Wars, with the arrow-tipped lightning bolt being the common symbol of the Emperor's forces. I remember reading that somewhere, but I know not where at this moment.

When I started playing 40k back in the Rogue Trader days '89-90. The dark angels wore black armor. Personally I like the newer green but I like the old black armor alot more. all my angels are black. Ive just recently started adding heraldry to my vets. I like the small shields on the right paldron, like on the HH novel covers. Here is what I mean.

gallery_65696_7693_518698.jpg

The guys in the left.

gallery_65696_7693_60765.jpg

Personal heraldry sounds perfect,and gives more individuality than merely gluing bits on...

It also fits with the warrior monk style and RT era aesthetics perfectly.It will be time consuming though but well worth it and it will make

your army stand out more than the "various hues marine" armies that we'll see if the codex turns out to be powerfull.

Go for it(with pics please :lol: ).

PS: Very nice marines cypherthefallenangel,congrats.

Okay brothers, I was considering instead of going mainstream DA (green isnt my favorite colour hehe), I might as well make a succesor chapter. So here is my idea, please C&C:

spacemarine.jpg

spacemarine.jpg

Im considering the same organizicion type as the DA. Would the DA bits look good on a succesor chapter? Im most conserned about the winged swords.

As for the chapter heraldy, Im considering two wings, like the ones on the BA Sanguinary guard shoulder plates. Like this:

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/images/blood_angels_sanguinary_guard_shoulder_pad_1_large.jpg

As for the name, something like Angels of Retribution or Angels of Penitence.

Anaziel, I really do like the red, check out Arkley's The Blades are Drawnand Blades of Altena threads on how he handled (and in awesome fashion) red DA successors.

As far as the names, while I doubt anyone is just going to outright tell you No, obviously they are your figures to call how you wish, Angels of Retribution are an "official" Chapter that isn't officially filled in, but have been worked on pretty hard by Brother-Captain Sharp in his Angels of Retribution thread. While Angels of Penitence hasn't been used, it is close to Angels Penitent, Angels of Penance, and Angels of Repentance, all of which are "official" Chapters that haven't been filled in. The Angels Penitent have been fantastically fleshed out here by Akatriel.

Very cool idea for the symbol, are you going to have a hollow space between the wings like the shoulder pad? If so, do you plan to put anything there? Those are very nice shoulder pads for champions, Masters or honor guard from an angelic Chapter.

It'll be neat to see what you come up with, looking forward to it.

Archived