Barbed swords

Azoriel

When I saw the new company master in Dark Vengeance for the first time, I wasn't terribly pleased - aside from his robes looking very dress-like in appearance, his sword's barbed head has left me much inclined to try to modify it into something a little more conventional. (I've yet to touch it, for fear of making it look even goofier than it already does.) Now, we have pictures of Belial's new model, which also has a barb-tipped sword. In his case, the barbs look very distinctly like an arrowhead - which was probably what was intended. (I suspect this may be an attempt to harken back to the DA's Indigenous American roots, much like the "bunny ear" headdresses - only thing though is that the "Indians", having used obsidian points rather than steel ones, didn't make barbed arrowheads like that.)

I am now wondering:

(1) Does this trend trouble anyone else? And

(2) Has anyone else already tried to modify Balthazar's sword yet to get rid of the barbs (and did you feel you were successful in the endeavor)?

The broad-tipped blades have been a feature of Unforgiven swords since Angels of Death era codex on some very old artwork: check our three sacred standards, Azrael's banner and the old Masters' banners they all feature swords of this design. In models, Ezekiel has a broad-tipped sword IRC – so it isn't a new thing. And the theme has carried forwards from the DA and RW upgrade sprues onwards to Bathasar as you say.

Personally I like them – so no it doesn't worry me and I certainly would not be thinking of removing them.

Cheers

I

Wow some of you guys get picky about weapons!

The sword in my opinion isn't the bad part about the Balthazar mini.

And just like the "new" trend for da with maces ( even thought the upgrade it had them) it won't bother most people. It's a easy and simple swap to do.

I like the stylized weapons, I figure when you are using a high-tech energy field as your cutting edge, you may as well make the weapon look good.

Just a few examples of older DA art where the trope can be seen:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/6/69/Asmodaiart.jpg/180px-Asmodaiart.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111212214856/warhammer40k/images/thumb/2/2b/Grand_Master_Ezekial.jpg/180px-Grand_Master_Ezekial.jpg

http://theimperiumofman.weebly.com/uploads/6/8/3/5/6835843/2840947.jpg

It is an aesthetic theme dating back to, at least, Codex: Angels of Death.

Even our chapter emblem gets pretty close with its flanged blade-tip.

Having swords that merely flare towards the point was never really a problem for me - I actually find Ezekial's sword to be aesthetically pleasing. (Swords like the DV termie sergeant's are also acceptable, even if he's wearing bunny ears.) Having barb-tipped swords, however, is most certainly a new development, one not seen prior to Dark Vengeance. I assume it's easy enough to reduce Balthasar's barb into a flange (ala that chaplin pic that's presumably Asmodai), though I wanted to see if anyone else had already attempted such modification. (The new Belial model's, on the other hand, seems a bit too extreme for easy correction...)

There's a sword with a small circular cut out and a very subtle barb on the last page of C:DA 3rd Edition, v.1.

Hm... Indeed it is - good find. But, as you point out, it's very subtle. I still find these newer, more extreme barbs to be rather silly looking.

Archived