Space Marine earthshaker cannon

Reichfaust

I am a Space Marine player who often looks with envy at the toys that the IG get and we don't, especially their field artillery! For our single Whirlwind they have a whopping 6 varieties of artillery to choose from, and while I wanted in on the action, I didn't want any puny humans in my list--my Adeptus Astartes don't mingle with the plebs! So I figured I'd get around all that nonsense with some "counts-as" shenanigans :)

Anyway, a while ago I posted this basic mock up of a Rhino-chassis artillery piece. I finally made some progress on it and wanted to keep a record of it, and see what you guys think of it. I plan on making a Colossus Siege Mortar and a Manticore in this style as well, but to start off with I went with the solid all-round choice that is the earthshaker cannon.

http://www.imgjoe.com/x/003igi.jpg

The cannon barrel is various lengths of nested tubing, I referenced the IG Basilisk and also some real world howitzers to get a legitimate looking barrel. I would have bought an earthshaker cannon from a bits dealer on ebay or something, but if I want to make three of these things (which I will, eventually) I figured it would be easier and a lot cheaper to just make something myself. The Rhino is still lacking support legs and a dozer blade at this stage.

http://www.imgjoe.com/x/004qqq.jpg

Here's the cannon mounted on its base. Barrel is pretty much completed bar capping the top tube. The base has a lot of detailing to add and I may try to make a hood or cover to sit on the barrel, as per my mock-up.

http://www.imgjoe.com/x/006byb.jpg

As you may know, Basilisks (and all IG artillery for that matter) come equipped with a forward-facing heavy bolter. I was at a bit of a loss for how to work this in initially, but I think I hit the mark with a gunner/spotter. He needs a bit of cleaning up, and some pauldrons, but he is getting there.

http://www.imgjoe.com/x/007ryr.jpg

http://www.imgjoe.com/x/008nnn.jpg

Here it is all put together (so far). Got a lot of work to do still, including;

-Finishing the Rhino (tracks, lights, doors, dealing with shoddy construction job etc)

-Detailing the base of the cannon

-Shell loading crane at the back

-Dozer blade and/or sandbags

-Stabilizer legs

-Camo netting (maybe?)

-Manticore missile rack and Colossus mortar options

-Name for this pattern of vehicle (?!)

...all of which I will post here, as I make progress. Please let know what you think, CC is appreciated!

look good!

was just thinking that marine is permanently deaf...that earthshaker blasting away a few meters from his ears :P

Thanks! I'm sure the Space Marines helmets must incorporate some kind of sonic dampening systems, or something.

I like the look and the effort involved. However, the gun is mounted so far back that there's no room for the breach inside the vehicle hull. Are you going to do any conversion to show the stronger front armor of a Chimera chassis?

Yeah I admit I'm not sure about the position of the gun myself. I placed it that far back for aesthetic value, I do like the way it looks right now. I had considered modelling it with the back ramp and doors folded down with a marine or two loading a shell from below, as with the doors open there should be breach room. Plus with the doors all open I could really make the vehicle look like it's hunkered down and entrenched, like good artillery should be, and it would help me justify NOT buying the "closed compartment" upgrade, otherwise I'd probably feel more obliged to take it.

I'm gonna use a single-slit front panel from the Baal predator, for starters. Shouldn't be too hard to make that look like heavier armour. In my original sketch I had some sandbags piled atop the dozer blade, I thought that might make the front facing a liittle bulker--but that's only if I want to take a dozer blade at all.

Probably needs something to brace it on the back too. Some kind of extendable arms that fold to the ground. I'd suggest moving away from having some poor BS3 Space Marine being stuck manning the heavy bolter, and instead mount it some other way, lol. Maybe a remote turret like the Rhino comes with for the storm bolter?

It's a fun project regardless.

Probably needs something to brace it on the back too. Some kind of extendable arms that fold to the ground. I'd suggest moving away from having some poor BS3 Space Marine being stuck manning the heavy bolter, and instead mount it some other way, lol. Maybe a remote turret like the Rhino comes with for the storm bolter?

It's a fun project regardless.

Yeah definitely going to be putting some stabilizing legs on there, I just need to figure out how best to make them. As for the gunner, I really liked the idea of having him up there as a "spotter" as well as a gunner, so how about we just say the vibrations from the cannon are throwing him off? :huh:

Yeah definitely going to be putting some stabilizing legs on there, I just need to figure out how best to make them. As for the gunner, I really liked the idea of having him up there as a "spotter" as well as a gunner, so how about we just say the vibrations from the cannon are throwing him off? :huh:

Off the top of my head, take two of the crane cover piece from a vindicator kit, mount one pointing down on either side of the rearward tracks, and have the lower portion of a sentinel leg coming out of the bottom where the spool of wire would normally be to sit flush with the table.

Nice brother!

I have benn umming and ahring about making one of these for my lads, and Inthnk you just tipped the scales!

Regards the stabilisers, what brother firepower recommended is sheer genius! Defo go with that (or I will! :))

Les see some more!

Yeah definitely going to be putting some stabilizing legs on there, I just need to figure out how best to make them. As for the gunner, I really liked the idea of having him up there as a "spotter" as well as a gunner, so how about we just say the vibrations from the cannon are throwing him off? :lol:

Off the top of my head, take two of the crane cover piece from a vindicator kit, mount one pointing down on either side of the rearward tracks, and have the lower portion of a sentinel leg coming out of the bottom where the spool of wire would normally be to sit flush with the table.

Not a bad idea Firepower, sadly I only have one Vindicator crane right now and I plan on using it for an ammo loader on this thing. However I do have some Stormraven & Valkyrie landing gear coming from ebay that I think could do the trick.

NightHunters--glad I could serve as an inspiration for you! Do it--you'll be glad you did when you are raining S9 AP3 death on your enemies at 120 inches! :tu:

So a little update from me, after looking at this artillery piece of mine I am starting to think it's gonna need a blast shield around the gun, the bare-bones look is just a little lacking. Nothing as big as the Basilisk's default shield mind you, but enough to provide a little cover. I think this is what kind of look I will try to go for;

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/large/vpgunshield.jpg

Any thoughts?

Archived