appiah's new Tactical Squad

appiah4

Appiah, love your work and I have to agree with the Chaplain, that dark red is fantastic.

Is this the same formula and technique you have used in the past or a whole new approach. Would love a quick rundown if you a chance.

Can't wait to see more!

I painted these slightly different from how I normally paint red, hence the slight wash blotching.

Normally I start with a grey basecoat, followed by several coats of a neutral red. These figures were primed and basecoated 5 years ago and were awaiting a paintjob. I had primed them with white and basecoated with GW Blood Red, which is a very bright red. Over a white primer, the starting red was very, very bright.

Normally I just wash twice, once with Ogryn Flesh and once with Baal Red. This time, I knew that wouldn't cut it. So I went a bit heavy with the Ogryn Flesh wash and gave two washes of Baal red (Actually it's a tad more complicated, I'll share below). The Ogryn Flesh Wash went on a bit too thick and I wasn't careful enough to avoid wash pooling (I was working in poor light) and hence the blotching, especially on the legs. I kind of dealt with it as best I could.

The way I painted these was:

1. Duplicolor Matte White spray paint

2. GW Blood Red basecoat (3 coats 1:1)

3. GW Ogryn Flesh Wash

4. GW Baal Red Wash

5. Highlight with FolkArt Lipstick Red (Very similar in tone to GW Blood Red but more netural, less bright and more transparent, great for layering)

6. GW Baal Red Wash

7. Highlight with FolkArt Lipstick Red

8. Highlight with FolkArt Red Light (Very similar to old GW Blazing Orange)

9. Highlight with Folkart Pure Orange (Very similar to GW Fiery Orange)

They came out looking comparable to my normal red, they mix in well. :blink:

Archived