Advice for a New Son of the Lion

Eulfein

Greetings in the name of the Lion Brothers!

Happy Holidays!

I'm a new player (reeeeally new) and I'm looking to start a Dark Angels army. I like the fiction behind the Chapter and the monastic look of the DA looks really bad ass. Any advice as to how big a starting army should be for a beginner? 1500 or 2000?

Salutations my Brother Lions!

1500pts would be fine for someone to start with, you can always expand it later easily in 500pt blocks etc.

Really depends on who you would playing, and what size games. I always found though having more figures than the agreed points size meant I could choose what to bring.

You know the new DA codex lands in january and you seen all the new cool figures too hey!

Good choice on your army and have fun building/playing them.

Welcome to the Rock brother!

I would suggest you contact your local gaming group. Your probably correct to say 1500 points but each gaming group is different. For example the guys I play with do there smallest games as 1750. Once you know you can plan your list.

Good luck.

Many thanks for the quick response Brothers!

Makes one feel really welcome around here! I'll go for a 1500 point army then! looking forward to ba a part of this forum in the days to come!

'till all the Fallen are redeemed or dust!

Starting as small as 500 is fine to get and lets you learn the ropes a bit.

Expending it in 500-point blocks lets you tailor your army more to the playstyle you think to prefer without getting a huge pile of plastic to paint.

Two tactical squads and a HQ should fill most of the points, while giving a solid base to build your army around.

Plus, it's a safe bet until the new 'dex lands.

Welcome to the Rock!

For a start I would get the Dark Vengeance Box. It comes with a little bit of everything and teh models are nice... then you can expand on it. You can also sell the Chaos stuff to buy more DA. :)

Quote for Truth.

The Dark Vengeance set is a really nice kit. You get the mini rulebook, and about 800 points worth of Dark Angels (current codex, not the new one due out next month). I would recommend that you find someone in your local 40k community willing to trade your Chaos for their Dark Angels. You will almost always finder a taker; or even someone willing to go halvsies on a DV box.

The only other purchase I would recommend before codex is to get a transport for your Tactical Squad. I highly recommend Rhinos, however I recommend that you buy the Razorback kit intstead. The Razorback kit is $5USD more than the Rhino, and if you leave the top plate unglued, you can switch between a normal Rhino and a Razorback. More bang for your buck!

And welcome to the Dark Angels!

One other thing. I dont know if they are planning on changing the sprues or releasing a new Veterans boxset sometime later, but you might want to consider buying a couple of Dark Angels Upgrade sprues. These will most likely be going up in price next month...

Right now, for less than $20USD, you get 5 robed Marines and enough bits to choke a camel. The only thing you dont get are bases, but those are easy to come by. 2 or more sprues should do you for any of your converting needs even after the new Codex and kits launch. Just my suggestion at least.

Welcome to the Rock!

For a start I would get the Dark Vengeance Box. It comes with a little bit of everything and teh models are nice... then you can expand on it. You can also sell the Chaos stuff to buy more DA. :)

I know right? The Dark Angels miniatures line from Dark Vengeance blew me away! I saw the previews of the upcoming figs and that got me sold on going Unforgiven!

Thank you my Brothers for the sound suggestions.....gonna get me some Dark Vengeance DAs really soon! =)

When I go to my gaming club, I usually have lists and models for 1000, 1500, 1750, 1850, and 2000 points as my club doesn't have a set limit. This way I'm prepared no matter what my opponent brings or if we both want to play a shorter game. The 1000 point list is for when I play doubles, as we use it as a chance to teach new players by teaming them with a veteran. I'd also look to see if your local club has an escalation league, as those are great ways to start an army and play right away. With a new codex coming out, I'd imagine a new one would start soon allowing new DA players a chance to build an army. Best of luck and welcome to the Rock!

Archived