Venerable dreads - always dw?

Slyfox1990

I think i know the answer to this but will check anyway. I m pondering adding a venerable dread to my force, but I m not really wanting to paint it in dw colours. Now as I read it in the book, they always serve in dw units/as dw models, but is there any precedent for my avoiding the bone colour and having them as green wing models?

Ultimately I know I can just do what I want, but having started what is basically a 3rd company force, I d like where possible to retain proper fluff.

Paint them as you want. If you want it to match your greenwing force paint it green, if not, then bone. 'Venerable' is an upgrade for a DA dreadnought as per current codex, no rules state it must be in DW colours -- even if fluff might point differently :P.

But my advice, wait until Jan 12th then decide what colour you want to paint it.

Cheers

I

But my advice, wait until Jan 12th then decide what colour you want to paint it.

This. :P

Good advice.

There is current differences of opinion on Ven Dreads.

Some believe all Ven Dreads are Deathwing.

Some Believe all DW Dreads are venerable.

No one knows for sure if RW Dreads exist or not.

Some Believe Ven Dreads can be either DW, RW or GW..

Hopefully the new codex clears this all up. There is supposed to be a new Special Rule Deathwing Vehicle.

This may be an additional rule, or tied to Venerable, we are not sure at the moment.

Well, Dreadnoughts usually continue to serve in the company they served while still alive, right?

So the question would be, what exactly determines whether a Dreadnought is Venerable or not?

Is it the skill of the occupant before he gets interred? Or is it the time it has served as a dreadnought?

Also, one would think that the occupant/dreadnought has some say about which company it'll belong to/serve in.

All DW dreads are venerable, but I wouldn't say that all venerable dreads are DW. Honestly, since dreads are warriors whose skills and experiences were so valuable and prized that even in the face of death they had to be preserved, I'm not sure why there are any that aren't venerable.

I have to disagree with the above statement.

All venerable dreads are deathwing,

But not all deathwing dreads are venerable.

It's not a rule, but it's fluff. Your best bet tho is to wait till the new dex drops as that may be changed.

There was some fluff awhile back about marines interred in dreadnought, but thought they were not ready for induction into the Deathwing by the Inner Circle. So they could become venerable over time but would not be inducted into the Deathwing and so they would not have bone colored armor.

I would say wait till mid Jan.

As is usual it only goes to how you want them to be painted.

If you are going by Fluff, according to our current codex, it appears that they are all DW colors as it states in the Special Rules: Dreadnoughts may be upgraded to Venerable status, indicating they are serving with the Deathwing. It also says in the fluff section above that "Thus, the Deathwing is often accompanied into battle by their bone white dreadnoughts, and these are counted amongst the Company's most revered warriors."

But in the end it goes with how you paint your army, how you want them to be.

I am pretty sure the reason they state in the codex the Venerable status makes it DW is so there is further distinction between Ven and non-Ven Dreads for WYSIWYG visuals....

We have been through this conversation before;

In my opinion; All Deathwing Dreadnaughts are Venerable, but not all Venerable Dreadnoughts are Deathwing.

Still the argument is: do I want to pay for a Ven Dread, regardless of where he is?

You would think that after a couple thousand years running around as a dreadnought in the rock,

You would tend to hear things, and know things...

And eventually you would learn about the secrets of the Deathwing, even if you didn't know them when you were alive.

So, eventually, I would say that every Dreadnought eventually becomes part of the deathwing, even if they serve with the 5th company.

I came about this way of thinking due to the one Dread in the Horus Series really changed my opinion about the 'humanity' of Dreads.

Before then, I considered them more of a robot, like Robocop when he first was brought on-line.

I think that they are revered not just because they are good warriors, or because their vehicles are relics and ancient, but because of their wisdom and knowledge.

They live well beyond the age of other marines, and unless they go loony like a Death Company Dread, they have a long time to learn and become wise.

Their counsul would be highly regarded by Masters and GrandMasters.

Paint them as you want. If you want it to match your greenwing force paint it green, if not, then bone. 'Venerable' is an upgrade for a DA dreadnought as per current codex, no rules state it must be in DW colours -- even if fluff might point differently :tu:.

Cheers

I

This on both accounts. Or alternative wait for a couple of weeks.

Archived